RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I am. Usually social media is run by some professionals who post what ever is best to get clicks.
I work in this field, it's usually either run by someone in-house or run by an outside agency that takes direction from someone in house. Rarely does an organization with the money and size of an NHL franchise just let someone freewheel their social content based on getting clicks.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
He has a shot at being better on the 2nd season.

Laine was even then way too inconsistent and not that great 5on5.

Goal scorers are inconsistent and ES points are over-emphasised on HfBoards. Special teams matter.

Laine scored 100 goals in the NHL as a teenager so it's perfectly acceptable if Kakko doesn't live up to that during his first two years.

The way it's looking right now Kakko might have a better career though.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Goal scorers are inconsistent and ES points are over-emphasised on HfBoards. Special teams matter.

Laine scored 100 goals in the NHL as a teenager so it's perfectly acceptable if Kakko doesn't live up to that during his first two years.

The way it's looking right now Kakko might have a better career though.

So you are talking straight up goal scoring.

As if goal scoring has been the only consistency issue with his game.

Too often when Laine isn't scoring he isn't bringing anything to the table, too often he's looked like a negative.
But to his credit he has been one of the best goal scorers in the league, which in it's own doesn't make Laine one of the best players.

70-80 points for Kakko while being a versatile threat/driver, strong on the puck with a solid 2way game equals to better than Laine on his 2nd season.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
So you are talking straight up goal scoring.

As if goal scoring has been the only consistency issue with his game.

Too often when Laine isn't scoring he isn't bringing anything to the table, too often he's looked like a negative.
But to his credit he has been one of the best goal scorers in the league, which in it's own doesn't make Laine one of the best players.

70-80 points for Kakko while being a versatile threat/driver, strong on the puck with a solid 2way game equals to better than Laine on his 2nd season.

Im talking about goal scoring because he's a goal scorer. Goal scoring is extremely important, people try to refer to advanced stats and make ES scoring sound more important than it is to sound sophisticated but at the end of the day a goal is worth a lot. scoring 100 goals as a teenager isn't something you see often.

If Kakko scored say 23 goals, 37 primary assists and 20 secondary assists and played an ok 2way game (Kakko's definitely not that defensively sound yet so I don't expect him to be significantly good defensively his first two seasons) I'd take 44 goals and 70 points over that.

Again I do think Kakko will end up better for now unless Laine quits Fortnite, starts skating in the off-season and turns things around.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Any concern with rushing him to the NHL as was done with Puljujarvi? Players who are ready like Barkov was at 18 are not common.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Any concern with rushing him to the NHL as was done with Puljujarvi? Players who are ready like Barkov was at 18 are not common.

He plays nothing like Pulju and dominated mens physically in Liiga, unlike Pulju.

Im talking about goal scoring because he's a goal scorer. Goal scoring is extremely important, people try to refer to advanced stats and make ES scoring sound more important than it is to sound sophisticated but at the end of the day a goal is worth a lot. scoring 100 goals as a teenager isn't something you see often.

If Kakko scored say 23 goals, 37 primary assists and 20 secondary assists and played an ok 2way game (Kakko's definitely not that defensively sound yet so I don't expect him to be significantly good defensively his first two seasons) I'd take 44 goals and 70 points over that.

Again I do think Kakko will end up better for now unless Laine quits Fortnite, starts skating in the off-season and turns things around.

Sure goal scoring is important, but complimentary snipers aren't best players in the league nor guys you win with as the go to guys.
Look at Stamkos for example, sure he can shoot the puck but he's not a driver, he's a guy you set up. But someone has to set him up and drive the play, drive the team for them to be successfull. I take Barkov 10/10 over him, or Bergeron and so on.

Then you look at Ovy who's a completely different beast to Stamkos, and far superior to Laine as a hockey player today.
Or Pasta from the younger guys.

Laine hasn't been a sniper with ok to good overall game, he's a sniper with serious issues with the rest of his game which drops his value a lot, and often this year looked like a player who should sit a few. The difference between his shot and the rest of the game is massive, the biggest by far for these high end players in the league.

Last edited:

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I work in this field, it's usually either run by someone in-house or run by an outside agency that takes direction from someone in house. Rarely does an organization with the money and size of an NHL franchise just let someone freewheel their social content based on getting clicks.

Yup the Devils social media is definitely in-house team. I’ve seen the guy around taking photos that then appear on Twitter and such. But they have a few people running the ship.

And as someone who follows their social media closely, I have to agree that they are hyping Hughes big time there. The Nico vs Nolan Draft was verrrrry 50/50 but with this one it’s been quiet on Kakko. Anything could happen though.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Yup the Devils social media is definitely in-house team. I’ve seen the guy around taking photos that then appear on Twitter and such. But they have a few people running the ship.

And as someone who follows their social media closely, I have to agree that they are hyping Hughes big time there. The Nico vs Nolan Draft was verrrrry 50/50 but with this one it’s been quiet on Kakko. Anything could happen though.

I don't remember this type of prospect hyping at all when it was Nico and Nolan.

The Hughes pick is pretty much already decided.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
The difference between his shot and the rest of the game is massive, the biggest by far for these high end players in the league.

Definitely. Although he did play a more complete game during the playoffs.

Still production wise he set a very high bar for a teenager.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Kakko can definately start in the NHL next year but I'd be lying if I wasn't somewhat concerned about how his stamina lasts through a 82 regular game season. Oh well, he wouldn't be the first 18yo prospect to have problems keeping up with the pace in the last stretch.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Definitely. Although he did play a more complete game during the playoffs.

Still production wise he set a very high bar for a teenager.

For sure he was better, but with a 1st round exit it's a really small sample size.

He's not your typical 40 goal scorer which I believe gives Kakko a shot at beating him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kaapo Kakko will play for Hartford next season. I GUARANTEE IT!
You guarantee it how? Even if he's not NHL-ready, high-end Finnish players get Liiga clauses, which allows them to play in Liiga if they don't make it to NHL.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
You guarantee it how? Even if he's not NHL-ready, high-end Finnish players get Liiga clauses, which allows them to play in Liiga if they don't make it to NHL.
There's no way Kakko doesn't make the NHL next season, literally none. Kotka even made it and Kakko is a different level player compared to him at the same age

Reactions: haveandare and bl02

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It was a pretty pretty assist. Not the most visible game otherwise, though.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He hasn't been bad and has definately showed his brilliance here and there but it's definately showing he is only 18 so he can't consistently be noticeable out there with what he is given.

It would have been ideal for Kakko to be in the same situtation as Aho and Laine were where they had NHL veterans carrying the weight of the line and both of them were able to compliment the lines with their talent.

But that being, he definately should make the team even if he isn't lightning it up in these exhibition games. We need Kakko's talent and ability to pull something out of nowhere if we want to win something in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mysteric1000
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad