RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Argh anywhere else but LA , Vancouver or NYR. Can't stand those teams lol

Oilers and the Senators would be horrible too.

Teams that I would like to see drafting him

Florida
Philly
Dallas
NYI
Colorado

And of course the Canes

Last edited:

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland

Florida
Philly
Dallas
NYI
Colorado

And of course the Canes
Ottawa has a lot of young talent, I’d say it would be great for him.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, Hextall is gone, maybe things are different?
I sure hope so. I like the Flyers and I think they have a good future with all of their prospects.

Florida
Philly
Dallas
NYI
Colorado

And of course the Canes
Flyers, Blackhawks and Avalanche are my top choices. I don't like about the thought him going to Florida or Arizona, because I want him to play in a bigger hockey city. Bigger crowds. Kings, Devils and Islanders are ok. Canucks and Rangers works for me too even though I dislike the Canucks. Senators, awful management, good young guys and potential group.. it's ok I guess.

Stars have already many Finns so maybe not.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would love to Kakko go to Philly. They just don't draft Finns. It would be awesome to see.

I wouldn't want Florida to be there but maybe it's time for them to get lucky and get Rantanen 2.0.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Do you think Kakko will play as a center or winger in NHL?
Would depend on the team I think, but I see Kakko having a development line kinda like Aho. With that I mean he would probably play his first season at wing, and then start moving him to center. At this moment he is playing mostly winger, but that's also because his team (and team Finland now at WJC) have such great depth at C. He has a playing style like C, so it ultimately comes down to how his defensive game shapes up.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would depend on the team I think, but I see Kakko having a development line kinda like Aho. With that I mean he would probably play his first season at wing, and then start moving him to center. At this moment he is playing mostly winger, but that's also because his team (and team Finland now at WJC) have such great depth at C. He has a playing style like C, so it ultimately comes down to how his defensive game shapes up.

A team could try to get him to AHL and under their controll. Where they could start to develop him at C on his +1 season already.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Right now, I don't care that we (Canuck's) have Quinn Hughes: I have to say, I prefer Kakko, and I am hoping we get to see Canucks win the lottery and this guy drafted by us (disclaimer: I am still open to changing my mind on Hughes2).

I think Kakko could be perfect playing with EP... But we will see how they both develop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I mean I always taught you should have a stick up to your chin, is that wrong?
You should play with what you want. People who like to shoot or defenders that want to cover more ground would like a longer stick, people who like to deke will like a smaller one.

I always had a shorter stick, Ive played with an intermediate for a few years now, I hate long sticks, I cant do anything in tight and I can't get my my shot off quick.

Reactions: StiffSquid and Keke

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I really haven't been too involved with the "1st or 2nd overall" discussion as far as Kakko is concerned. I've always, even from the last season (17-18) thought he might turn out as great as you'd expect from someone heading first to the podium. Also I'm aware of Hughes having a great year (even though the production haven't exactly upped from last season) and we're dealing with someone who's been touted to go 1st overall for some years now so obviously there's plenty of preconception as far as the discussion is concerned. At the end of the day, like others have pointed out the draft # (at least when dealing with lets say top 1 or top 3 picks) doesn't really even make any difference, aside from perhaps the media circus. Not that it wouldn't be kewl to have the first even Finnish first overall pick, but there's plenty of time for that.

Anyway, there's couple of things that work in Kakko's favour here, such as: i) having no physical question marks (great size and pretty great skater already) ii) not only playing against grown ups, but proven track-record of already having the game breaking ability at pro level iii) production, while it's nearly impossible to get to PPG in today's FEL and there are just couple every year who can do that, Kakko still has the chance to accomplish the unprecedented and break this barrier and so far has been scoring points at extremely high rate iv) position - not only does he have every trait you look for in a nr one center, it is clear he's already being molded into one v) comparable prospect like Laine, Barkov and Rantanen - who is the producwhere the l is a product of the same organization - Kakko is looking quite a lot better than him at the same age (I watched all of them closely) while producing at higher rate than Laine did (although he had less ideal circumstances). Barkov currently owns the record for most regular season points from D eligible prospects and should be involved in the discussion as Kakko does play both positions. Of course we need to keep in mind that the development isn't linear. So lets say the lottery winner got to pick Rantanen or Hughes/Kakko in the draft, there's no way either one of the two would stand a chance. Nonetheless Kakko looking better than Rantanen in their respective D seasons absolutely has to baffle and raise discussion amongst a lot of scouts as we speak.

In the last game for the TPS he played first full game as a center in FEL without any elite level wingers (talking by league standards), he immediately scored two goals and was instrumental key in the win against HPK. Aside from the goals Kakko could have added punch of assists from the quality high end scoring chances he created. I don't see why TPS would suddenly move him back to wing after having last game like that and they clearly already see him as a future C and there's nothing indicating Kakko not sharing the same aspiration. He may play wing at the World Juniors but mostly because of the logjam in the middle.

Now as for stylistic comparisons, he looks like young Forsberg out there who isn't afraid to get into the traffic/boards, has shown some mean streak by for instance occasionally bulldozing defenders to force his way while having unbelievably smooth hands, agility and core strength, which enable him to steer through tight places and control the flow of the offence. Of course like any other 17 year old he isn't yet perfect and has to work especially on the defensive aspects of the game. While I think he's already a great skater, he's going to be a whole a lot faster as he develops and if a grown up defender cannot contain him at 1 on 1 right now, they'll have a heck of a lot more to worry in the future. Anyway, P. Forsberg was the first player that comes to mind when I try figure out any past examples. I'm thrilled to see how fast Kakko can adapt playing at the smaller rink in the WJC and what he can accomplish there. Let the games begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad