RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
https://i.gyazo.com/f186d6ef1856b7b7ce4a4e15586df14a.jpg

That's how short the stick he plays with is. Add skates to that and it's absurd. 65 Flex too. Does anyone in the NHL play with a similar stick?

Gaudreau plays with a real short stick and ridiculous 55 flex. Not quite as short though.

But to be honest, 65 flex for a stick this short isn't that low. He will probably use a stiffer one as he gains strength, he is only 17 after all.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The standings dont look too good for me when thinking of 2019 draft/Kakko hopes.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Gaudreau plays with a real short stick and ridiculous 55 flex. Not quite as short though.

But to be honest, 65 flex for a stick this short isn't that low. He will probably use a stiffer one as he gains strength, he is only 17 after all.
Yeah but Kakko's like 12 cm taller than Gaudreau.

The short stick affects his defensive game noticeably.

Seele

Jul 13, 2013
Yeah but Kakko's like 12 cm taller than Gaudreau.

The short stick affects his defensive game noticeably.

Mikko (Rantanen) should have a discussion about this next summer with Kaapo. He doesn't need to justify much using longer hockey stick after over 100 point season. And yes, each player is its own case, but that stick, that Kaapo uses, is just clearly really short.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
I don't think that's too short stick. It's not like we have new Joni Pitkanen here who played with excel floorballstick through his career.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Dude will put more points than Patrik Laine before the draft in Liiga. 1st overall?

Jack Hughes hasn't put more points compared to last season...

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think Kakko will have to be at PPG or over to seriously challenge Hughes. Beating Laine's numbers isn't enough.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Dude will put more points than Patrik Laine before the draft in Liiga. 1st overall?

Jack Hughes hasn't put more points compared to last season...
Laine's high draft position was in large part due to his incredible Liiga playoffs and World Championships, which Kakko is highly unlikely to replicate. And he still went after Matthews. I wouldn't put too much stock in Hughes' USHL numbers. He's only played a handful of games and with those numbers luck(good or bad) can really skew numbers. He's been dynamite.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I think Kakko will have to be at PPG or over to seriously challenge Hughes. Beating Laine's numbers isn't enough.
I agree he needs to outscore Laine, but PPG is reaaaaaally hard to attain at Liiga. Scoring is really low and some seasons you have 1 PPG player at max. Expecting him to go 1.1-1.2 PPG is unfair.

Kakko is starting to play center and I’d say that that will get him closer to Hughes. I’d also say that WJC will probs be the deciding point.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine's high draft position was in large part due to his incredible Liiga playoffs and World Championships, which Kakko is highly unlikely to replicate. And he still went after Matthews. I wouldn't put too much stock in Hughes' USHL numbers. He's only played a handful of games and with those numbers luck(good or bad) can really skew numbers. He's been dynamite.

I doubt Kakko goes 1st but 2016 was different than this one.

Matthews was 6'3 Center who also dominated men's league.

Laine will have higher peaks likely during draft season vs Kakko but Kakkocould have a better overall season and he looks like every teams dream player.
Rantanen 2.0.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
There isn't much Kakko can do to go 1st. Hughes has been a lock for going 1st for so long and this season hasn't changed it.

It would be absolutely amazing to see Kakko go first but it won't happen, sadly.

izi

Apr 16, 2017
I wouldn't say hughes is a lock for 1st but definently have the advantages over kakko atm.
I remember back in 2016 when everyone said nolan was a lock for 1st and his injury wouldn't hurt his draft position, when he got back he put up points in same pace as the year before meanwhile some swiss kid started to heat up and had an excellent wjc and somehow managed to go first.
I might be a bias Fin but i belive if hughes continues to stagnate and Kakko continues to excel he's going first in Vancouver

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Literally doesn't matter if he goes second or fifth. He'll be great.
Definitely agreed. I hope he'll go to some team where usually haven't been a lot of Finns.

I wouldn't say hughes is a lock for 1st but definently have the advantages over kakko atm.
I remember back in 2016 when everyone said nolan was a lock for 1st and his injury wouldn't hurt his draft position, when he got back he put up points in same pace as the year before meanwhile some swiss kid started to heat up and had an excellent wjc and somehow managed to go first.
I might be a bias Fin but i belive if hughes continues to stagnate and Kakko continues to excel he's going first in Vancouver
Hughes has been incredible this year. He has absolutely destroyed his own age competition. He hasn't stagnated in any way.

That being said, Kakko will be an amazing player for whichever team will draft him. He is NHL ready next year and I am sure he will help his team.

Last edited:

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Definitely agreed. I hope he'll go to some team where usually haven't been a lot of Finns.

Hughes has been incredible this year. He has absolutely destroyed his own age competition. He hasn't stagnated in any way.

That being said, Kakko will be an amazing player for whichever team will draft him. He is NHL ready next year and I am sure he will help his team.

Agreed, as long as it’s not Vancouver.

Reactions: FinPanda

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kupari-Kopitar-Kakko ;)

Yeah Kings is a good option. They have such an old team so good to have more younger kids too.

Kopitar is too old to get excited about the potential.

LA is declining and looking pretty dark.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In order to challenge for the 1st, Kakko would have to play center more this season, and that is unlikely to happen if there are not injuries/suspensions etc. for TPS or for team Finland at WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad