RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I just noticed that Liiga's website currently lists Kakko as 187 cm tall.

That equates to 6 ft 1.622 inches tall, which would be rounded up to 6'2''.

Future Considerations' new rankings from yesterday report Kakko as 6'2''. Elite Prospects still lists Kakko as 186 cm. Did Kakko grow a centimeter?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I just noticed that Liiga's website currently lists Kakko as 187 cm tall.

That equates to 6 ft 1.622 inches tall, which would be rounded up to 6'2''.

Future Considerations' new rankings from yesterday report Kakko as 6'2''. Elite Prospects still lists Kakko as 186 cm. Did Kakko grow a centimeter?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I doubt theres anyone on here that knows for sure if he grew a cm or not. Its not like he grew an inch, a cm is pretty irrelevant

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I doubt theres anyone on here that knows for sure if he grew a cm or not. Its not like he grew an inch, a cm is pretty irrelevant
Considering some websites report him as being 6'4'', information about his height is a little inconsistent. I think it would be safe to say that he is somewhere between 6'1'' and 6'2''.

Somebody in the previous thread talked about wanting Kakko to use a longer stick. I'm not so sure that would be such a good idea, as the speed of stick handling is sacrificed as one's stick length increases. Kakko is a quick stick-handler, which makes a short stick more ideal. A longer stick a la Laine results in a more lumbering approach to the handling of the puck. I suppose he could lengthen his stick as long as he doesn't lose any of his quickness with the puck.

Also:

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Where and when is this 4 nations tournament?? Couldnt find anything through google
The answers to both those questions are literally in the tweet, lol.

As for any official website? Not that I know of, maybe there's a Czech one.

E: Unless you mean the 4-nation one, brb.

E2: the 4-nation U20 is in Czech Rep., 9-11th november, the nations participating are Finland, Russia, Sweden, & Czech Rep.

Last edited:

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
9-11.11.2018 in Hodonin, Czechia

The answers to both those questions are literally in the tweet, lol.

As for any official website? Not that I know of, maybe there's a Czech one.

E: Unless you mean the 4-nation one, brb.

E2: the 4-nation U20 is in Czech Rep., 9-11th november, the nations participating are Finland, Russia, Sweden, & Czech Rep.

Yeah i meant the u20 one. Thanks though! If i didnt have a damn neuroanatomy exam on the 11th id be going to watch him :(

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I take it the user (like myself) was looking for an actual link to track and read more about the event.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The trajectory with his play hasn’t been really too good for a while already. Of course he also missed a few games because of the small injury, but even before his injury I didn’t like the way he was playing for a while. I’m starting to get a bit worried if he is after all as good prospect as most have thought so far. Hopefully he will get his game together again soon. Right now he doesn’t look like a prospect even close to Laine’s level, when thinking of the best Finnish prospects.

Sometimes it seems to me like Kakko would need his own puck, and that’s a thing that makes me always worry about a prospect, because it usually tells that the prospect doesn’t after all have a very high hockey IQ. Not claiming that this is the case with Kakko though, as he has shown quite exceptional glimpses of high class IQ, vision and passing skills. Probably an issue with some immaturity after all.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
The trajectory with his play hasn’t been really too good for a while already. Of course he also missed a few games because of the small injury, but even before his injury I didn’t like the way he was playing for a while. I’m starting to get a bit worried if he is after all as good prospect as most have thought so far. Hopefully he will get his game together again soon. Right now he doesn’t look like a prospect even close to Laine’s level, when thinking of the best Finnish prospects.

Sometimes it seems to me like Kakko would need his own puck, and that’s a thing that makes me always worry about a prospect, because it usually tells that the prospect doesn’t after all have a very high hockey IQ. Not claiming that this is the case with Kakko though, as he has shown quite exceptional glimpses of high class IQ, vision and passing skills. Probably an issue with some immaturity after all.
Dude, Finland almost only have players thats always looking for pass as soon as they get the puck.. I say STAY Kakko! Youre a stud!

Reactions: Seventyx7

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He needs to shoot more. He has Barkov -syndrome. Always looking for the pass, even if he's just gotten himself into a prime scoring location.
This is the other a bit worrying thing about him for me too. Again against Lukko he had a great shooting chance and he idioticly started looking for a pass, and I think it was a turnover after all.

But otherwise I think in his cycling game he is way too long holding on to the puck. He should be passing and moving quickly without the puck (give and go) to get the cycling game more efficient. It is much easier to defend against a player like he is right now, as he just holds on to the puck and is always looking for the pass and not shooting. Yeah, I know that he is great in protecting the puck, but honestly he isn’t using his skills in the most efficient ways at the moment.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Omg, dont worry so much about that. The fact that he even is able to hold on to the puck for so long is outstanding. And he Will learn better when to pass going forward. And even having better team mates that finds the open lanes better Will make him pass more, you guys worry to much. Should be amazed instead.
Well honestly there has been quite few reasons to be amazed with him for quite a while already unfortunately. He had a very hot start for the season for sure, but honestly he has been pretty much ice cold for quite a while already. Just seems a bit like playing against men is after all a bit too much for him at the moment.

Or rather, he can play against men even how he has been now, but he can’t be productive at all with how he has been playing lately. Doesn’t get much of good looks even at the moment and doesn’t also create anymore so well chances for his linemates as he did in the beginning of the season. Unless he really picks up his pace again, I see it already questionable if he will be even a top 5 pick in the draft. Of course great junior tournaments might still save a lot for him. But anyway with his present play he will not for sure get any chances to play with the men’s national team, in the way how Laine did at the same age.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well honestly there has been quite few reasons to be amazed with him for quite a while already unfortunately. He had a very hot start for the season for sure, but honestly he has been pretty much ice cold for quite a while already. Just seems a bit like playing against men is after all a bit too much for him at the moment.

Or rather, he can play against men even how he has been now, but he can’t be productive at all with how he has been playing lately. Doesn’t get much of good looks even at the moment and doesn’t also create anymore so well chances for his linemates as he did in the beginning of the season. Unless he really picks up his pace again, I see it already questionable if he will be even a top 5 pick in the draft. Of course great junior tournaments might still save a lot for him. But anyway with his present play he will not for sure get any chances to play with the men’s national team, in the way how Laine did at the same age.
I don't think playing against men is too much for him. He has some junior and immaturity things to work on, but the season is long and I'm sure he will get better sooner or later. I don't think there is any question at the moment if he'll be a top 5 pick. It's been 16 games for him I think or something after all. Maybe if he doesn't get better, then maybe we can be worried a bit.

Reactions: Koijari

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland

All players go through slumps. I think there's nothing to worry about.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
All players go through slumps. I think there's nothing to worry about.
I don't think playing against men is too much for him. He has some junior and immaturity things to work on, but the season is long and I'm sure he will get better sooner or later. I don't think there is any question at the moment if he'll be a top 5 pick. It's been 16 games for him I think or something after all. Maybe if he doesn't get better, then maybe we can be worried a bit.
I sure hope you both are right about him. I have been just quite disappointed with how his play has been for quite a while already. One idiotic thing though is how he has been used in the front of the goal on the power play. He can’t get the puck most of the time on the PP and his talent becomes completely useless there. Goddamn how so many coaches have so weird brainfarts with their player and line deployment? :huh:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I sure hope you both are right about him. I have been just quite disappointed with how his play has been for quite a while already. One idiotic thing though is how he has been used in the front of the goal on the power play. He can’t get the puck most of the time on the PP and his talent becomes completely useless there. Goddamn how so many coaches have so weird brainfarts with their player and line deployment. :huh:
Yeah I understand. It is disappointing to not see him produce but even harder was to see TPS lineup without him. That hurted me so bad. Now we can watch him play and we can sometimes be amazed how good he is at such a young age. Coaching things are something I don't understand and I will never understand.

Maybe after this break and U20 national team games Kakko will come back better and maybe he will start producing again.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Kakko's fine. He was the best forward out of TPS top 6 tonight imo. The whole team was asleep, it was pathetic. Nothing was going for them.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I wouldn't be concerned about Kakko not producing for a few games when even Laine managed to go pointless in 8 straight games before the WJC.

We have had bunch of elite prospects from Finland who have been hot for the first 10 games or so, then they have hit a brick wall in November until most of them pick up their game once again after the WJC.

Last edited:

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Kakko's fine. He was the best forward out of TPS top 6 tonight imo. The whole team was asleep, it was pathetic. Nothing was going for them.
He was pretty good in my opinion, just a waste in the middle of the PP as he never gets the puck and they don't even try to set him up .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad