RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Did Laine play with Kuusela?

So instead of taking the high road you lower yourself to their level. Good job, you really hammered your point home.

He played with Peltola and JM Järvinen. Watching their stats they did pretty well. 2nd line by paper. He started to play with Kuusela at playoffs. Not sure about power play though. I think Laine had to earn everything from the bottom. Kakko and Barkov were handed better opportunities since their season started.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
He played with Peltola and JM Järvinen. Watching their stats they did pretty well. 2nd line by paper. He started to play with Kuusela at playoffs. Not sure about power play though. I think Laine had to earn everything from the bottom. Kakko and Barkov were handed better opportunities since their season started.

Laine also played with Ilomäki who was at the time better as a two-way guy than a wow factor a la Palve or Filppula. JM-Järvinen has been years easily one of the best offensive players in the league (And pls dont watch his point production, cuz hes about as good or in this case bad finisher as Filppula, cuz looks more a hl reel pass than shoots the puck). Even "Kölli" Kortelainen stated last year that JM Järvinen wuld be a sure NHL player if he only was like 10 cm longer (my apologize I dont know inches at this case) and as a Tappara fan myself I totally agreed that its not that far-fetched after all. Tho his defensive game and physical play doesnt appear to me to be even close to that level.

Jukka Peltola otherwise has always been a warrior type of intelligent forward, who forces a lot of turnovers cuz of his smart and plays a gritty game, even tho he doesnt look like effective guy on and off the puck theres a reason why he played in Finnish olympic roster last year and has been force for Tappara even during Laine's tenure.

And yes Laine played with offensive dynamo Kuusela in the poffs, but it has some little to do with his performance and production imo. Laine looked atleast to me almost as flashy as Kakko looks right now. Especially in the playoffs and Kärpät series he created something in almost every single shift. When he hit Kukkonen hard on the boards or drew penalty vs Sebastian Aho (did like 2-3 times and while circling around and keeping him outside and puck long away from him with his kilometer long stick). I even remember one PP shift from that serie where Tappara player's distances were very long and Laine had the puck in no danger zone (near the boxes on the blueline), two Kärpät PK forecheckers went all over him and Laine's pass created like 4vs2 opportunity for Tappara in front of the Kärpät net, but they culdnt capitalize that. At that very moment I thought that Kärpät seriously scared one guy and I wuld say Laine's versatile dominance was the main factor why Tappara won them and eventually the championship.

When it comes to Kakko, I totally agree he might have better linemates, but like Laine, he seems to be the "X-factor" even with those guys he plays currently and has started to show more and more of what hes capable of with that shot and tenacity and confidence to toy like Laine did in his year. Thats why we can honestly expect any kind of rabbit from the hat in poffs from Kakko either.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Laine also played with Ilomäki who was at the time better as a two-way guy than a wow factor a la Palve or Filppula. JM-Järvinen has been years easily one of the best offensive players in the league (And pls dont watch his point production, cuz hes about as good or in this case bad finisher as Filppula, cuz looks more a hl reel pass than shoots the puck). Even "Kölli" Kortelainen stated last year that JM Järvinen wuld be a sure NHL player if he only was like 10 cm longer (my apologize I dont know inches at this case) and as a Tappara fan myself I totally agreed that its not that far-fetched after all. Tho his defensive game and physical play doesnt appear to me to be even close to that level.

Jukka Peltola otherwise has always been a warrior type of intelligent forward, who forces a lot of turnovers cuz of his smart and plays a gritty game, even tho he doesnt look like effective guy on and off the puck theres a reason why he played in Finnish olympic roster last year and has been force for Tappara even during Laine's tenure.

And yes Laine played with offensive dynamo Kuusela in the poffs, but it has some little to do with his performance and production imo. Laine looked atleast to me almost as flashy as Kakko looks right now. Especially in the playoffs and Kärpät series he created something in almost every single shift. When he hit Kukkonen hard on the boards or drew penalty vs Sebastian Aho (did like 2-3 times and while circling around and keeping him outside and puck long away from him with his kilometer long stick). I even remember one PP shift from that serie where Tappara player's distances were very long and Laine had the puck in no danger zone (near the boxes on the blueline), two Kärpät PK forecheckers went all over him and Laine's pass created like 4vs2 opportunity for Tappara in front of the Kärpät net, but they culdnt capitalize that. At that very moment I thought that Kärpät seriously scared one guy and I wuld say Laine's versatile dominance was the main factor why Tappara won them and eventually the championship.

When it comes to Kakko, I totally agree he might have better linemates, but like Laine, he seems to be the "X-factor" even with those guys he plays currently and has started to show more and more of what hes capable of with that shot and tenacity and confidence to toy like Laine did in his year. Thats why we can honestly expect any kind of rabbit from the hat in poffs from Kakko either.

To me Laine is Jekyll and Hyde type of player. When he is on he is really hard to stop and he plays really intense game when he is angry. At Jekyll mode he looks slow, not really involved. I think he has lost that intensity he had younger. He is mainly on his Jekyll mode. Laine at his good stretch is better player than any finnish player in NHL but when he is off he might be hurting his team. Kakko is a guy who is pretty consistent with his game and has positive impact on clear majority of his games. It’s unlikely he explodes like Laine at PO’s because Laine was on total Hyde mode and that was ridiculous run. I see Kakko being far more consistent producer but when Laine is on he is unstopabble.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Why is that?

But I guess I can’t be taken seriously if I don’t believe Kaapo Ovechkin isn’t a better goal scorer than a player who last season had a historic goal scoring season in the league that produces the most good NHL’ers.

It's harder to take you seriously if you clearly don't put much worth into Liiga's pedigree for developing talent in the last 10 years and how Kaapo's stats measure up to those talents. Kakko is playing with men right now with a skillset that's made for the NHL, Svech beat up juniors and has 15 goals in 65 games into his NHL career so the jury is still VERY much out on who's the better goal scorer. The assertion that OHL actually DEVELOPS most good NHL'ers these days is also not true but this is not the thread for that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why is that?

But I guess I can’t be taken seriously if I don’t believe Kaapo Ovechkin isn’t a better goal scorer than a player who last season had a historic goal scoring season in the league that produces the most good NHL’ers.
Speaking of historic goal scoring seasons, have you taken a look at Kaapo Kakko's? This is a -comparison-, after all. Not 1 player in a vacuum.

Let's check the all time rankings.

Kaapo Kakko's goal total for a u18 player:
#2, 2 goals behind Aleksander Barkov.

The top 5 players on the all-time list all are current NHLers.

Svechnikov's ranks #65 in OHL all-time. Many fantastic hockey players and many never-heards. The range goes from busts like Dal Colle to hall of famers. By the way, not that "historic" to me. At least in comparison to Kakko's. Kakko's season hasn't even ended yet.

Let's see goal-scoring prediction over a 82-game NHL season using NHLe:

Svechnikov:
11.76 goals over 82 games
Kakko:
18.29 goals over 82 games

Oh, Kakko's NHLe predictions are over 50% higher. Who knew? NHLe is based on historical data. By the way, speaking of historical data, Jesperi Kotkaniemi has outperformed his NHLe prediction for goal-scoring by a larger margin than Andrei Svechnikov this very season.

The reason you get called out is because you're so heavily biased against Finnish players in your analysis and additionally seem to completely ignore the past NHL player production success rate of Liiga.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1OApick

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Suddenly all other players cant play a ****....
Kakko has no flaws, all other players just cant play. Yeah, right!

Kakko makes team mates bad players. Not a good sign....

Oh Kakko makes his teammates look bad? How delusional are you? Go flap your gums somewhere else.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's harder to take you seriously if you clearly don't put much worth into Liiga's pedigree for developing talent in the last 10 years and how Kaapo's stats measure up to those talents. Kakko is playing with men right now with a skillset that's made for the NHL, Svech beat up juniors and has 15 goals in 65 games into his NHL career so the jury is still VERY much out on who's the better goal scorer. The assertion that OHL actually DEVELOPS most good NHL'ers these days is also not true but this is not the thread for that.

Don't take me seriously then. I don't care. You were the one who objected to what I said.

Playing with men and producing against men does not make said player better in every category than a player who developed in a junior league.

I didn't say the OHL develops most good NHL'ers. I said it develops the most good NHL'ers, and that is true. I prefer that players develop in mens leagues because I think its better for their development, but I'm not going to ignore reality here that the OHL produces the most good NHL'ers. Why would I do that?

Speaking of historic goal scoring seasons, have you taken a look at Kaapo Kakko's? This is a -comparison-, after all. Not 1 player in a vacuum.

Let's check the all time rankings.

Kaapo Kakko's goal total for a u18 player:
#2, 2 goals behind Aleksander Barkov.

The top 5 players on the all-time list all are current NHLers.

Svechnikov's ranks #65 in OHL all-time. Many fantastic hockey players and many never-heards. The range goes from busts like Dal Colle to hall of famers. By the way, not that "historic" to me. At least in comparison to Kakko's. Kakko's season hasn't even ended yet.

Let's see goal-scoring prediction over a 82-game NHL season using NHLe:

Svechnikov:
11.76 goals over 82 games
Kakko:
18.29 goals over 82 games

Oh, Kakko's NHLe predictions are over 50% higher. Who knew? NHLe is based on historical data. By the way, speaking of historical data, Jesperi Kotkaniemi has outperformed his NHLe prediction for goal-scoring by a larger margin than Andrei Svechnikov this very season.

The reason you get called out is because you're so heavily biased against Finnish players in your analysis and additionally seem to completely ignore the past NHL player production success rate of Liiga.

I don't use NHLe. Trying to explain why its important is a waste of your time. I don't regard what it says.

I think Svechnikov is a better goal-scorer. He went #2 in a draft with a player that would pretty easily go first in the 2019 draft. He was known mostly for his goal-scoring, despite being a very good all-around winger. Thats not to say Kakko isn't a good goal-scorer or that he isn't having a historical season. I don't understand why you Finn's always react in rage to every discussion about Kakko that doesn't consider him the next Gretzky. Not everything is a slight to him. He's a good player. He's not an Ovechkin-Gretzky-Lemieux hybrid.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Burning GOAT

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
So all the arguments going on based on this "player x is going to be better than player y because x scored more points than y at the same age"? Sorry to break it for you, but it's pretty much pointless.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
So i'll just say this to justify why i'm saying Kakko is going first OA. I think many finns including me see the potential he has more so than foreigners because i actually watch him every single game. And ive never been biased before saying someone else that was finnish in previous drafts should go first. But this time i really feel that we finns have a good enough reason to finally BELIEVE in him going 1st. Plus it so just happens to become as i hoped. He has surpassed Hughes after the wjc. I will have this opinion ubtill the draft no matter what. Hughes better be amazing because Kakko is showing amazing results against men and Hughes is just overhyped imo. Let the hate rain on me idc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad