RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
Kinda mystifying that some of these new finnish stars need translators.
He does answer a few questions before the translator translates.... so he does understand. Not sure why he's using a translator, because in 5 months he'll be sitting in Vancouver being interviewed after being drafted. That would have been good prep for him.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
At least it seems like Kakko understands the questions, so it's already better than it was with Puljujärvi. To me Kakko strikes a bit shy person even in Finnish interviews so it wouldn't surprise me if he just doesn't feel like answering in English since it's not required and he probably doesn't trust his English speaking skills enough.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
It will be very interesting to see what kind of confidence boost he got from this tournament and how it'll affect his Liiga performance.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
At least it seems like Kakko understands the questions, so it's already better than it was with Puljujärvi. To me Kakko strikes a bit shy person even in Finnish interviews so it wouldn't surprise me if he just doesn't feel like answering in English since it's not required and he probably doesn't trust his English speaking skills enough.
His team mates even said that he knows English, he's just not yet comfortable speaking it. He needs to get comfortable with it real soon though, but at least he has a basic understanding. Svechnikov was the same way.

Reactions: jalperi

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
It will be very interesting to see what kind of confidence boost he got from this tournament and how it'll affect his Liiga performance.

Don't think he needed a confidence boost. Ahokas said he put Kakko out there at the deciding moments precisely because he had the confidence to decide the game.

Kakko is in a good place. He just needs to keep listening to his coaches and train smart to develop his body and game.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
Don't think he needed a confidence boost. Ahokas said he put Kakko out there at the deciding moments precisely because he had the confidence to decide the game.

Kakko is in a good place. He just needs to keep listening to his coaches and train smart to develop his body and game.
Every player needs all the confidence they can get. 17 or 35 years old, no matter.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Usually doing well in these tourneys give kids an extra boost.

Doesn't mean they had bad confidence prior.

hososo

Dec 18, 2018
i think kakko's english is very close this

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
The head European scout for NHL central scouting, Göran Stubb, thinks that Kakko is better than Hughes and that he could go first (link in Swedish):

Göran Stubb hyllar juniorerna som snart ska NHL-draftas: "Personligen tycker jag att Kakko är bättre än Hughes och just nu är Lundell klar etta i Europa"
English translation via Google Translate:
Göran Stubb celebrates the juniors who will soon be NHL-draftees: "Personally, I think Kakko is better than Hughes and right now Lundell is ready one in Europe"
Published 07.01.2019 - 12:45.
Mattias Forsblom - Helsingfors

Göran Stubb, who evaluates NHL-potential junior players, pays homage to the job that the Finnish ice hockey association has done and which in recent years has generated great success at junior level. Our junior series is good and our league is much better than many journalists want to show, he says. Stubb believes that both Kaapo Kakko (2019) and Anton Lundell (2020) have the potential to become historic by going first in the NHL drafts.

- Playing a 17-year-old, say Anton Lundell or Kaapo Kakko, an entire season with and against men so they develop in a completely different way compared to junior matches. They get better just by playing against good resistance and in a good environment.

Prior to the tournament, the US Jack Hughes on many NHL draft lists were ranked as one and Finland's Kaapo Kakko as second.

Was the ranking affected by JVM, who has a head start before the 2019 draft?

- It is decided when the NHL draws which club will choose first in the draft. If it is a club that likes Europeans and has a European direction, Kakko can go first. Is it a club that likes North Americans, maybe the election falls on Hughes.

- Personally, I think Kakko is better but I saw Hughes play four games in Kravare (Czech Republic) in November and he was absolutely phenomenal.

How high can Lundell go in the summer of 2020?

- Right now Lundell is one of the best in Europe and maybe in the whole hockey world but at that age so very quickly can happen. Just look at Lukkobacken Heinola! He was a good back in Lukko's junior team in September. Now he is junior world champion. The development has gone nail up.

Stubb pays tribute to the hockey association, which after meager years in the early 2000s has succeeded in reversing the trend and now washing up young high rollers on a continuous line.

- This was a sign of how good the Finnish ice hockey association is schooling their young players and how good our system is. Our junior series is good and our league is much better than many journalists want to demonstrate. Three junior gold in six years is a fine achievement. The U18 national team has been in final four years in a row. It looks bright.

"Stubb believes that both Kaapo Kakko (2019) and Anton Lundell (2020) have the potential to become historic by going first in the NHL drafts." - Mattias Forsblom, Helsingfors, YLE, January 7, 2019

"It is decided when the NHL draws which club will choose first in the draft. If it is a club that likes Europeans and has a European direction, Kakko can go first. Is it a club that likes North Americans, maybe the election falls on Hughes.

Personally, I think Kakko is better but I saw Hughes play four games in Kravare (Czech Republic) in November and he was absolutely phenomenal." - Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, January 7, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: fr9dd9

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Watching these highlights made me realize, he really could have potted atleast 10 points with ease in the tourney with normal finishing from himself and his linemates, such a shame

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Isn't Jack Hughes 0/10

Kakko is fully deserving of going first overall, he will end up being one Hell of a consolation prize haha

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Is his shot similar to Matthews or is he compared to hm for the way he protects the puck only? Also would you describe his agility as elite? From the highlights I’ve seen of him he seems to use his edgework similar to the way Crosby does to twist and weave in the corners to set up teammates with a brilliant pass.

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
Is his shot similar to Matthews or is he compared to hm for the way he protects the puck only? Also would you describe his agility as elite? From the highlights I’ve seen of him he seems to use his edgework similar to the way Crosby does to twist and weave in the corners to set up teammates with a brilliant pass.
No, shot isn't close to Matthews. The rest of your post is quite accurate description of him.

julkki

Oct 27, 2015

I find the comparison to Matthews maybe a little odd. First, Matthews is shoot-first player and I think Kakko is looking for a pass more often. Matthews best asset is his shot, but Kakko's is his ability to win 1vs1-situations and to make plays. Puck protection and agility are quite similar and I see that Kaapo has also "nose" to go to the dirty areas to have those garbage-goals. Although haven't seen too much of them from Matthews recently..

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He may drop maybe to 5th because of the huge center depth in this draft. Dach, Cozens, Turcotte and Hughes may all go ahead of him. Then there is winger Podkolzin, who also has been great.

Reactions: 1OApick

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
He may drop maybe to 5th because of the huge center depth in this draft. Dach, Cozens, Turcotte and Hughes may all go ahead of him. Then there is winger Podkolzin, who also has been great.
No way José. You don’t draft Kotka ahead of Svech even though he is a center. Tbh Kakko is more likely to play Center in the NHL than Hughes in my opinion.

Not a fan of Turcotte at all. Mediocre stats against kids isn’t a good look.

Reactions: 1OApick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad