RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I wonder how fast someone slaughters him in the NHL because of the way he drives himself into the corners. Against Swiss (or was it Canada?) he was in prime scoring area with the puck and for some reason did not shoot, but instead went behind the goal with the puck and created nothing. Not the first time i've seen him do it either.
Why would he get slaughtered when he is already doing great against Liiga players in corners? He is still physically raw but he has a big body and great balance which will help in battles against NH players.

That play? Yeah, he could have had a shot there but went instead for an easy tap in try which the opponent denied nicely by throwing himself to the ground. He still did end up generating something unlike you said.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I wonder how fast someone slaughters him in the NHL because of the way he drives himself into the corners. Against Swiss (or was it Canada?) he was in prime scoring area with the puck and for some reason did not shoot, but instead went behind the goal with the puck and created nothing. Not the first time i've seen him do it either.
Kakko is practically the new Forsberg. How often did Forsberg get smoked becose of the way he played? Sometimes, but not very often at all.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
When do you guys figure Bob Mckenzie will release his mid season rankings? I’m curious to see if the tides are really shifting with scouts or if it is all just hype.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
When do you guys figure Bob Mckenzie will release his mid season rankings? I’m curious to see if the tides are really shifting with scouts or if it is all just hype.

Seems like at the end of january.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Kakko plays a lot like young Barkov.

However I dont see the 1st OV in a strong draft. 1st like Hischier for sure, but elite 30 goals as a rookie? Nah.

(Also Hughes is in the same boat and might go after Kakko anyway)

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013

Kakko just destroying Hughes brothers in that corner play. Even the commentator goes "wow"

He's 17 years old, he scores a late game winner in the WJC-final, he plays the last shift defending a one goal lead (in which USA has not a single scoring chance) and he kills penalties with other underaged Lundell at least as good as any teammate of his. What more can you demand from a player who's 2 years underaged in his first WJC appearance?

He is special.

Indeed special. He really looks like Rantanen. Or well he skates better than him, but being able to hold and protect that puck and generate plays. I would lol so much if Avs ended up getting Kakko

Reactions: LAINEC and CLW

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Was chosen as the best player for Finland in both of the USA games. Though I guess in this final one could make an argument for Lundell. Looked like Ahokas finally reacted to the problem with line changes and prohibited players self-extending their shift length, which obviously came at a much needed time. Anyway as for the game and Kakko, scoring the golden goal is something so precious that he'll remember for the rest of his days. Couldn't feel much more happier for him. Well earned! Good f**n going young Lions!

A lot of discussion about Kakko's position and about that, the last game he played for TPS @ FEL, he was a center and scored two goals. So it's definitely interesting seeing if they'll continue with that experiment or if he returns to the wing. I do see him as a future C though with all the qualities he has as a player. Without Lundell I think that would've been his position in the WJC as well. Then again of course I'm happy that it didn't come down for that but instead we had center like him to play with Kakko. Not to mention the way Lundell presented himself in this tournament you'd never guess this "cage head" was D-1.

But damn, yet another gold medal at the WJC. What the heck is wrong with this country?! :D

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
Why would he get slaughtered when he is already doing great against Liiga players in corners? He is still physically raw but he has a big body and great balance which will help in battles against NH players.

That play? Yeah, he could have had a shot there but went instead for an easy tap in try which the opponent denied nicely by throwing himself to the ground. He still did end up generating something unlike you said.

Because the NHL is ten times faster than Liiga.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013

And the kid is also young. It is pretty remarkable, that he is 17 and playing with adults and he is still able to hold the puck and protect it. All this and his not even close to his physical peak.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Kaako looked great I thought. It’s fantastic for international hockey that Finland is producing so many outstanding young players after an extended dry spell.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
The players are still as big as they are in NHL. Not to mention not every team has Byfuglien sized players in their lineup destroying young players. NHL is young men's league nowadays.

Kakko will be one of the best players near boards in a few years. No need to worry about him. There are many smaller and weaker players entering the league next year than him.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
My favorite and I think strongest part of Kakko is his strong mentality. He cannot be a bust for that reason, zero chance.

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
I've posted an in-depth report on Hughes vs Kakko on Reddit. Please have a look:

That's a great analysis and I also agree that Kaapo Kakko should go first overall.

However, I feel that you're underselling Hughes quite a bit. I have watched lots of tape on him and while he does have noticeable weaknesses you mentioned, he does have some dynamic ability and skating that reminds me of Matt Barzal. So if he can achieve Matt Barzal type of ceiling, thats a really good 2nd overall pick or potential 1st overall pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad