RW Joel Armia (2011, 16th overall, Buffalo; traded to WPG) II

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
How did his overall game look like?Did we see a straightforward Armia or dangly Armia?

I would've benched him for the 3rd period after his performances in the first two periods, but it's a good thing Kivi didn't do it this time. Saved them a point. Typical Armia.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
How did his overall game look like?Did we see a straightforward Armia or dangly Armia?
Straightforward Armia would be nice. Hopefully will see that once he gets to NA.

I mean nothing wrong with dangly Armia as long as he keeps his feet moving and knows when to pass the puck instead of just standing there dangling against two guys before losing the puck.

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
Straightforward Armia would be nice. Hopefully will see that once he gets to NA.

I think that NA hockey will suit Armia well especially in a game with lots of counter attacks. Not sure how Buffalo plays though. But definetly seen this season how puck controll game destroys Armia's unpredictability.
Armia is at his best when he gets the puck to full speed before opposite blue line, haven't seen much of that this season since Ässät plays all attacks very slowly from the defence. I see very bright future for him in NHL if he can adjust to the game and culture.

About yesterdays Tappara-game. Armia wasn't good but not bad either. Brodin is not an ideal linemate and Uusikartano's game is very defensive compared to Dixon's. Of course Tappara defended mid ice very well and made it hard for Ässät to build. Team definetly needs 1 winger.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think that NA hockey will suit Armia well especially in a game with lots of counter attacks. Not sure how Buffalo plays though. But definetly seen this season how puck controll game destroys Armia's unpredictability.
Armia is at his best when he gets the puck to full speed before opposite blue line, haven't seen much of that this season since Ässät plays all attacks very slowly from the defence. I see very bright future for him in NHL if he can adjust to the game and culture.

About yesterdays Tappara-game. Armia wasn't good but not bad either. Brodin is not an ideal linemate and Uusikartano's game is very defensive compared to Dixon's. Of course Tappara defended mid ice very well and made it hard for Ässät to build. Team definetly needs 1 winger.

Buffalo uses one line that transition attack and has considerable success at it with Tyler Ennis at center. Ennis' speed will drive guys back and allows his wingers to find lanes, his passing/vision can get it to open men when they start to fill those lanes. Not sure if Joel supplaints Marcus Foligno or Drew Stafford on his wing, but they do have a bit of transition offense rather than a more laborous set-piece style.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Armia with two goals and an assist in tonight's 3-2 OT win over KalPa. Scored the OT game winner too.

E: And first star of the game, obviously.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
When is he suppose to come to NA? Buffalo already have a very versatile team... they'll look even more scarier in a couple years.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
When is he suppose to come to NA? Buffalo already have a very versatile team... they'll look even more scarier in a couple years.

I think he comes over next season. I believe he spends 2 years in AHL (maybe some games on season 14-15 in NHL) and I hope he is ready then. If not i think he goes back to Europe.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Scores a goal 58 seconds into the game against Kärpät to make it 2-0 for Ässät.

yay

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
Scores a goal 58 seconds into the game against Kärpät to make it 2-0 for Ässät.

yay

it's been almost 3 weeks since someone last posted game info(pts) about him. How has he played(non-stats) since then?

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
it's been almost 3 weeks since someone last posted game info(pts) about him. How has he played(non-stats) since then?
Has played four games after the "2 goals and 1 assist"-game since there was a EHT-break. He has been pretty good (showing a bit more effort in general and thinking about the team in his plays) and has had his best period for the last 5-6 games since the few first games of the season just like the whole team.

Scored a second goal in the second period.

Edit. Was a beauty from what I read/heard.

Last edited:

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
I am seeing things, or does Armia pass the puck on purpose to Kärpät-defender's skate in his second goal? Little bit luck in that goal since it bounces of the glove of gk. In any case, very nice goal and very typical Joel Armia goal.

E: I think he does it on purpose. Sick move, reminds me of Diego Maradona

http://www.nelonenpro.fi/jääkiekko/sm-liiga/media/511767

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I am seeing things, or does Armia pass the puck on purpose to Kärpät-defender's skate in his second goal? Little bit luck in that goal since it bounces of the glove of gk. In any case, very nice goal and very typical Joel Armia goal.

Sounds like something Vanek would do (see: all the goals where he passes the puck to himself off of the boards or something to get around defenders, or intentionally banks it in off the goalie, etc.). Once he gets to NA, I think Armia could learn a lot from TV.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Armia is good but he needs to harder in NA.. Skate, hit ect. Saw some of good work ethics in some WJC games, thought, so I think he will be able to do it.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Armia is good but he needs to harder in NA.. Skate, hit ect. Saw some of good work ethics in some WJC games, thought, so I think he will be able to do it.

Ofc he will be able to do it. He plays whenever it matters most.

Why hasn't Jalonen tried him on EHT?? He is the best Finnish hockey player (forward) at the moment but what does Jalonen!? Keeps ignoring him.

Armia should be in the WHC squad but it doesn't look like it. Wake up, jalonen.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Why hasn't Jalonen tried him on EHT?? He is the best Finnish hockey player (forward) at the moment but what does Jalonen!? Keeps ignoring him.

Because the federation learned from previous mistakes and let U-20 players focus on their games before the WJC and because he was anything but EHT level before the last EHT event. The rest of your sentence is just :laugh: :facepalm:

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013

If he keeps playing like this he is competing for spot in WHC-team. Or at least he should be, Jalonen is known to pick work horses instead of skilled wingers.:)

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
There has been some positive development in his overall effort level and attitude lately. He can do just about anything and everything when just he wants to. I hope this change is permanent, because there are no words to describe how I'll feel if a kid as talented as Joel Armia busts because of attitude issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad