RW Joel Armia (2011, 16th overall, Buffalo; traded to WPG) II

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Gave nice assists to two goals today against Latvia in the 5-1. Was also a couple of dangles and a chance or two, but overall not much effort as expected.

3-1 M.Aaltonen (Armia)

4-1 Ma.Granlund (Armia)

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Played a great game against the Swedes aside from the penalty at the end of the game. A goal from a snipe close from the net that went in from near corner and then a one-timer going to the goal right above the goaltender's pad on the near side.

So in four games Armia managed to score those two goals and then give a total of three assists, but overall was a disappointment. The Czech game and the first two periods of the Switzerland game with the turnovers and lazy play was just something that was not acceptable.

Next up the relegation games and then back to SM-liiga. Based on what I've seen in these four games I won't be expecting the same good second half as last year.

Just have to hope things would turn around once he gets to NA.

Edit. The goals:

Last edited:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
The relegation games went well and in the two games there Armia racked up seven points (four goals and three assists). Before the bronze and gold medal games Armia is the leading scorer of the WJC with six goals and six assists for a total of 12 points in six games.

Well, hopefully these last three games got Armia's confidence up a bit.

3-0 Barkov (Armia) @ 2:17
6-0 Barkov (Armia, Vainio) @ 3:42
8-0 Armia (Ristolainen, Granlund) @ 4:54

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The lack of easy viewing coverage for that Pool left me without any time to watch Armia live in-tournament. What is the concensus on his WJC play?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The lack of easy viewing coverage for that Pool left me without any time to watch Armia live in-tournament. What is the concensus on his WJC play?

From what I've read, he struggled heavily when it mattered, and thrived against weaker competition.

Pretty disappointing, imo.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
From what I've read, he struggled heavily when it mattered, and thrived against weaker competition.

Pretty disappointing, imo.

Had a solid game against Sweden, scoring 2 goals, and played well in the last 2 periods of the game against Switzerland. Played bad in the first games, making stupid plays and looking lazy overall. So it's quite the opposite, albeit the Czech game did prove to be more significant that it might've seemed earlier on.

Overall, Armia's performance was disappointing, but really, the biggest thing for him right now would be getting the mental side together.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Overall, Armia's performance was disappointing, but really, the biggest thing for him right now would be getting the mental side together.

Amen. It's not okay to show up only when you feel like it and are inspired by the opponent. Skill-wise he's definitely NHL-caliber.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Finland looked to struggle in most of the games I saw. Korpisalo was hung out to dry quite often. The team didn't mesh that well. Armia and Granlund / Barkov did make some plays / goals though.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
He scored 2 goals against Sweden

Even considering this, he was one of the biggest disappointments in the whole tournament for me. His play practically slowed whole team Finland down in the first 3 games since he was always on the top line and was playing like he was mentally Pejorative Slured egomaniac - making his linemates next to useless.

He really needs to improve the mental aspect of his game. Maybe do what Olli Jokinen did and get a psychologist specially for that matter?

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Even considering this, he was one of the biggest disappointments in the whole tournament for me. His play practically slowed whole team Finland down in the first 3 games since he was always on the top line and was playing like he was mentally Pejorative Slured egomaniac - making his linemates next to useless.

He really needs to improve the mental aspect of his game. Maybe do what Olli Jokinen did and get a psychologist specially for that matter?

All i want to say is ****.
Guy had twoconcussions and militaryservice right before this tournament, still he finished second in scoring in this tournament.
Ofc he is one of the biggest dissapointment!
He had two bad games, give the guy a break! No matter how you put it, he's the most talented kid from finland for ages!

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
All i want to say is ****.
Guy had twoconcussions and militaryservice right before this tournament, still he finished second in scoring in this tournament.
Ofc he is one of the biggest dissapointment!
He had two bad games, give the guy a break! No matter how you put it, he's the most talented kid from finland for ages!

Unless there are lingering concussion issues(which he should not playing if so), the rest shouldn't have any real effect on Armia's play. He's still inconsistent as hell, if the guy gets his head on straight he will be a star.

I BELIEVE IN YOU ARMIA GOOO

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I don't like him. And that's just an opinion. But watching him play was often almost infuriating.

He's got skills, but he makes too many stupid mistakes with the puck and generally looks (and is) way too lazy. I'd be surprised if he ever really makes it in the NHL without major adjustments to both playing style and attitude.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't like him. And that's just an opinion. But watching him play was often almost infuriating.

He's got skills, but he makes too many stupid mistakes with the puck and generally looks (and is) way too lazy. I'd be surprised if he ever really makes it in the NHL without major adjustments to both playing style and attitude.

I would question if you have seen him very often

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

Couldn't agree more. Soft as baby poo most of the time, turnover machine, piss-poor attitude. Just an incredibly frustrating player to watch.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
He is frustrating, because his skill set is so great but often he's too lazy to let it really show. It's a real shame.

I do have to appreciate his capability of getting PP for Ässät. In the last SM-liiga game I saw from him, the other team took 3 or 4 penalties because they weren't able to contain Armia with means allowed by the rules. According to Jatkoaika, Kärpät took at least two penalties caused by Armia tonight. From what I've seen, it's partly due to Armia falling down suspiciously easily for such a big guy. The funniest of the 3 or 4 penalties he caused was when was tripped by an opponent, fell down (no visible diving this time at least), got up pretty quickly but apparently thought there wasn't going to be a penalty because he all but jumped back down, laid down on his back and it looked like he was moaning. The ref had already decided to give a penalty, so the theatrics were unnecessary, but I have to say it was pretty funny.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
My biggest problem with Armia is that he tends to turnover the puck because he's trying to be too fancy with the puck, that can be taught, you can't teach his size, scoring ability and the things he can do with the puck. I don't think he's soft at all, just because he doesn't hit people doesn't mean he's soft.

Oh, and he's a little lazy. :laugh:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
seems like every big player who unlimited amount of skill is labeled as "lazy" or "inconsistent"

The only thing that is holding him back is learning that less is more, he just needs to simplify his game and he will be good.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
He didn't look anything special for the first three games after the WJC, but today played quite a good game (though I missed the last period when Armia got his name on the scoresheet). Was a big part of the comeback when Ässät was losing three to nothing after the first, but came back and then lost in OT five to four. Armia assisted Ässät's second goal and then tied it four to four with under two minutes left after he stole the puck from a defenceman and got into a breakaway.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
He didn't look anything special for the first three games after the WJC, but today played quite a good game (though I missed the last period when Armia got his name on the scoresheet). Was a big part of the comeback when Ässät was losing three to nothing after the first, but came back and then lost in OT five to four. Armia assisted Ässät's second goal and then tied it four to four with under two minutes left after he stole the puck from a defenceman and got into a breakaway.

How did his overall game look like?Did we see a straightforward Armia or dangly Armia?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad