RW Joel Armia (2011, 16th overall, Buffalo; traded to WPG) II

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Sad to see Armia go. Thought he had potential to be a decent player with the sabres, although I never thought he had potential to be an elite player.

He hasn't made the leap I was expecting he'd make by now. At 21 years old, I'd expect more than 17 goals in 87 AHL games for a "pure goal scorer".

For those who think he is a sure bet to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL are dreaming. He may eventually break out and reach that type of production, but it is a long shot. I think the realistic projection for Armia is Kotalik. A solid 3rd liner who can score 20-25 goals.

Kotalik couldn't skate to save his life, though. Isn't Armia fast?

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I liked Armia as a prospect. He will be in the NHL in some capacity. Whether its a third liner or first is up to him.

He can turn out as Michael Ryder or Patrick Sharp.

Personally, I saw quite a bit of Stafford in him. Good hands, good shot and responsible. They aren't perfect comps but he has a chance to be a 25-25 guy.

Wish him all the best though!

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Kotalik couldn't skate to save his life, though. Isn't Armia fast?

He's not a burner like Kessel but he can be pretty explosive when he wants to. He's a good skater and likes slowing the game down so he's not going to be blowing by guys (unless he's deking them out of their socks).

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I was never very high on Armia and I am confident he will never be a first line winger. And no, I am not one of those types who bash players just because they were traded from my favorite team, I had posted numerous times well before the trades about Armia and Myers on how they aren't that good.

I recently said when talking about the Sabres and their lack of top 6 wingers on the team or in the pipeline and especially singled out Armia. I said he is the only wing prospect we have who has a chance to be a top 6 winger but I don't think he will ever amount to much. He definitely is not a future first liner. If he does make the NHL he is going to be a serviceable 2nd line winger who will be a 20 goal scorer with the occasional 25 goal season. He will not be a 30 goal winger or score 60+ points. I hated the trade more because of losing a Lemieux and the first rounder though after hearing how Lemieux wouldn't sign then that alleviates some of my problems with the trade.

So tl;dr Armia is far from a sure fire NHLer and if he does make it it won't be on the top line, he is more likely to be a 2nd or 3rd line 15-20 goal winger.

I think as long as the Jets can parlay another asset or two (resign Stafford or turn Lemieux or the first into and NHL'er) they'd be happy with Armia being a 20-25 goal scorer.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
It seems like lately no Finnish prospects have done as well as expected (Granlund, Teravainen, Barkov, etc), so I think it's doubtful Armia ever comes close to 65-70 points.

If he can be a consistent 20G, 50P player (basically what Kane had been for us the last few years), I'll be more than happy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some guys do better on the 1st line, even if they can't carry a first line.

I don't think it would be a terrible idea to see how Armia would play alongside Little and Ladd, or maybe Scheifele and Perreault. He would just need to complement their play, bringing good skills, decent size, and good hockey sense. He'd probably be more productive in that setting than alongside less talented players. I'd think about something like this on a trial basis sometime this season....

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Scheifele-Armia
Frolik-Lowry-Stafford
Galiardi-Slater-Thorburn

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It seems like lately no Finnish prospects have done as well as expected (Granlund, Teravainen, Barkov, etc), so I think it's doubtful Armia ever comes close to 65-70 points.

If he can be a consistent 20G, 50P player (basically what Kane had been for us the last few years), I'll be more than happy.

This is such an uneducated post. These kids are all like under 21... :laugh:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

Let's not use slippery slope arguments. Barkov, at the moment is delivering very well. Granlund is also playing well despite not putting up sufficient points . And these guys are mostly under 21. Ryan Johansen panned out nicely after all, too.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Do you guys think he could be a Phil Kessel type? A streaky scorer that can put up 80+ points a season or maybe a Kessel lite that puts up 65-75 points

Well he could have some resemblance with Kessel, but Kessel is faster while Armia has bigger body. Armia is a bit phlegmatic player, who plays with a bit slow tempo, though he is very sharp when there is a good opportunity.
One big difference with Armia and Kessel is that Kessel tries to go around the defenders, while Armia tries to go through the defenders in a bit power forward fashion. This is due the size difference and speed difference. I think this is the same difference that is between Armia and Semin, while Semin mostly attempts to go around the defenders.

It is true, that Armia hasn't done as well as expected. He has not been able to develop as well, as I thought he could. I believe he has had some difficulties in adjusting into NA game and the injuries have obviously emphazised his problems.

Granlund and Teräväinen are doing pretty much as I thought they would and Barkov has done even better than I thought he would.
Only thing is that some people have overhyped them.
Teräväinen is very raw guy. Has skill, but physically very raw.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Wow.. winnipeg is intressted in bergenheim and flaichman, please make a deal that involves armia. He might be good for barkov in many perpectives and ofc barkov would be good for armia.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Another underwhelming high draft pick like Sven.

Gotta love these NHL scouts who predicted Armia and Sven to be top six guys.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Another underwhelming high draft pick like Sven.

Gotta love these NHL scouts who predicted Armia and Sven to be top six guys.

Eh..? He played really well in Rochester, and was well on his way to becoming a top-6 NHLer. I can't see how 4 games in a new team changes that. And obviously the injury affects him.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Yeah, not looking good at all. Every time he seems to start doing good, he gets injured and fades away. I think he has one more year on his contract, he better get it together next year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
To be fair the Ice Caps are an absolute disaster this year outside of Connor Helleybucyk.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
To be fair the Ice Caps are an absolute disaster this year outside of Connor Helleybucyk.

Rochester was a bottom feeder as well, so that shouldn't matter.

He is injury prone and extremely inconsistent, 10 goals in 47 games is pretty poor production for player with 5 pro seasons under his belt.

He is still young, I think he will be fine in the long run.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Rochester was a bottom feeder as well, so that shouldn't matter.

He is injury prone and extremely inconsistent, 10 goals in 47 games is pretty poor production for player with 5 pro seasons under his belt.

He is still young, I think he will be fine in the long run.

Honestly I haven't seen enough of a Armia yet to form a solid opinion but if TNSE worked to get him included in the trade they would have faith he can play at the NHL level IMO. Only time will tell if they were right.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Honestly I haven't seen enough of a Armia yet to form a solid opinion but if TNSE worked to get him included in the trade they would have faith he can play at the NHL level IMO. Only time will tell if they were right.

There is zero doubt he has the skill set to be a good player.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He definitely has the skill set. He's got a great shot, very good hands, can make some nice passes, can be great on the backcheck when he puts the effort in. Consistency has always been a problem for him, though. My opinion on him going back to last year has been if he can figure out how to score consistently, he'll be a good top 6er; if he remains streaky in that regard but brings his defensive game more consistently, he should be a fine middle 6 player a la Drew Stafford (who notoriously scores in bunches, but isn't useless when he's running cold); if he does neither, he won't ever be an NHL regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad