RW/C Mark McNeill (2011, 18th, CHI)

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
To the OP, this is copy of my report in our Kings draft thread ...

Mark McNeill is a very GOOD hockey player (think David Backes) ... he's a BIG kid, He's Strong and a Decent a scrapper, He's skilled and putting up nice #'s, He has good hockey sense and plays a structurally sound 2-Way hockey game, and Centers are most always more valued than a Winger {especially if he's GOOD on faceoff's ?}.

So there's nothing wrong IF we draft him depending on our draft position and who's remaining at the time ... it's still BPA, as NO ONE we draft will be stepping in and playing LW alongside Kopitar anytime soon, there's no supposed "generational talent" in this draft nor are we drafting in the top 3, so let's not debate that OK ? the only thing we really don't need is to draft a glut of too many more Defensemen as we'd run out of places to play and develop them properly IMO.

PS - I might as well add some Mark McNeill stuff here ...

Good Read - http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/11/mark-mcneill-guy-you-should-know.html
HF Discussions - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=829162 + http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=873352
The Hockey News Hot List = http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35628-The-Hot-List-Small-town-McNeill.html
Yahoo Draft tracker 5 questions w/ Mark McNeill = http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhocke...-with-Mark-McNeill-Pr?urn=juniorhockey-310225
PLEASE DO NOT let the DUCKS get HIM = http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Ho...8/Ducks’-top-scout-checks-out-McNeill/1

FIGHT CARD =

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
You do realize he severed his Achilles tendon the spring before and by his own admission came back too early, right?

Yeah, a guy who was picked fifth overall in the Bantam Draft and who was MVP of the Mac's Midget Tournament as a fifteen-year-old is a "later bloomer". :help:

Here's where you really expose the fact you have no idea what you're going on about. No team is going to take him in the top ten. I like him about as much as anyone and can't see him going before 15.

I have seen alot of MM....so has Mr. Bugg.
MM is very good, big, skilled, smart and likely a 1st rounder.
Deservedly so.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Big hard nosed center. Has good offensive upside. Probably not a number 1 guy but will fit in nicely behind a team with a number 1 guy. Kind of like Kesler does in Vancouver.

I have been high on this kid since last season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Could be Getzlaf, could be Chipchura, but will most likely be more like Stoll?

Never seen him play but that's the impression I get from previous threads like this.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I like this player a lot. Not to be a #1 centre, but to be that big solid #2 guy. Something that teams should be focused on attaining at the draft more than have been. He has good offensive instincts but may lack some quickness. Skating is solid. Personally Im not impressed by a lot of the guys in th 10-20 range. But McNeill has that legit NHL impact upside.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Just being an Edmonton kid makes me root for him. :) :D

Seriously, though, he seems to be as a complete package as there is.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Sadly, I think there is one Getzlaf comparison to be made... they will both likely have the same hair-do by the age of 25.

Thanks to Puck U for the vids. I'm really hoping the Oil find a way to get this guy with the King's 1st rder

arsmaster*

You do realize he severed his Achilles tendon the spring before and by his own admission came back too early, right?

Yeah, a guy who was picked fifth overall in the Bantam Draft and who was MVP of the Mac's Midget Tournament as a fifteen-year-old is a "later bloomer". :help:

Here's where you really expose the fact you have no idea what you're going on about. No team is going to take him in the top ten. I like him about as much as anyone and can't see him going before 15.

I have seen alot of MM....so has Mr. Bugg.
MM is very good, big, skilled, smart and likely a 1st rounder.
Deservedly so.
Only seen him a couple times.

Could you guys maybe give a player comparison? I know they are sometimes silly, but I just cant put my finger on one.

Seems to have a similar skillset and body type to Colin Wilson in Nashville?

I dont think he can put the puck in the net like his old man could.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Only seen him a couple times.

Could you guys maybe give a player comparison? I know they are sometimes silly, but I just cant put my finger on one.

Seems to have a similar skillset and body type to Colin Wilson in Nashville?

I dont think he can put the puck in the net like his old man could.

I like Ryan Kesler as a comparison. I don't think McNeill ever translates offensively like Kesler has, but the two play a similar game. Both big, aggressive, fast and well rounded right handed shooting centres.

arsmaster*

I like Ryan Kesler as a comparison. I don't think McNeill ever translates offensively like Kesler has, but the two play a similar game. Both big, aggressive, fast and well rounded right handed shooting centres.

Im a Canucks fan, so I dont throw Kesler's name around lightly....is McNeil really that fast?

I've seen him, he seems to be a wider body, a good skater with a low powerful stride, but I dont think he is a Ryan Kesler or possess Ryan Kesler skating from my viewings, but Im sure you've seen him more than me.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Im a Canucks fan, so I dont throw Kesler's name around lightly....is McNeil really that fast?

I've seen him, he seems to be a wider body, a good skater with a low powerful stride, but I dont think he is a Ryan Kesler or possess Ryan Kesler skating from my viewings, but Im sure you've seen him more than me.

Kesler definitely has an extra gear that McNeill doesn't have, but the comparison can still be made. They are both good skaters for their size.

Zach and Slater

Jan 17, 2004
Alberta
With all the Kesler talk let's keep in mind that Kesler wasn't supposed to have the offensive game that he has developed either.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88

He wasnt the MVP of the Macs. RNH was. Another "late bloomer" is Ryan Johansen who put up a total of 0 points as a 16 year olf because he didnt even make the team. Look at him now, he is one of the better prospects out there. I could see McNeil being like a Shawn Horcoff. Which the Oilers already have looked up for the foreseable future. I dont imagine his scoring will translate over amazingly. I'd maybe compare him to RJ Umberger. I dont know just throwing names out there.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

He wasnt the MVP of the Macs. RNH was. Another "late bloomer" is Ryan Johansen who put up a total of 0 points as a 16 year olf because he didnt even make the team. Look at him now, he is one of the better prospects out there. I could see McNeil being like a Shawn Horcoff. Which the Oilers already have looked up for the foreseable future. I dont imagine his scoring will translate over amazingly. I'd maybe compare him to RJ Umberger. I dont know just throwing names out there.

mvp mac's all star game- http://www.raiderhockey.com/article/mark-mcneill-mvp-of-mac-s-tournament-all-star-game/59908

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
He's putting up points on one of the weakest teams in the league, imagine if he was down the road in Saskatoon playing with some more talent. I think that he will drafted in the first half of the first round. Size and talent is worth the pick.

Last edited:

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
He's putting up points on one of the weakest teams in the league, imagine if he was down the road in Saskatoon playing with some more talent. I think that he will drafted in the first half of the second round. Size and talent is worth the pick.

I don't think he will be available after the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad