RW/C Mark McNeill (2011, 18th, CHI)

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Anyone see Mark McNeill? Has 12 points in 9 games and is +5. I heard some good things about him from a friend about a year ago and then again this year but that's about as much as I know...

Dobber Hockey has a nice write-up from a couple years ago. From another site:

The Raiders’ first-round pick (5th overall) in 2008, McNeill appeared in 68 games as a 16-year-old, potting nine goals and 24 points. The 6’2â€, 210-lb NHL Draft-eligible center is a highly intelligent player with outstanding hockey sense, and the ability to create time and space for himself and his line mates. Using his big frame and his strong skating and puck skills, McNeill is very good at protecting the puck. A very well-rounded player, McNeill will surely play an important role in the Raiders’ offense this season.

Seems to be ranked in early 3rd but if he keeps it up, do you think he has a chance at the late 1st round/early 2nd? What are the weaknesses in his game?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have always been high on McNeil. Prototypical big power center from the WHL. He skates well and is agressive on the forecheck. He has been put into the number 1 spot in PA and has performed exceptionally well. I think he will end up being a very good number 2 center in the NHL

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Here's a piece I wrote on him a few weeks back...

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2010/09/skys-limit-for-mark-mcneill.html

Part of the article...

At 17 years old, he already has a man’s body. He stands 6’1.5 and weighs in at just under 210 pounds. And he shows that size on the ice. He likes to play physical hockey and is a great forechecker. He is also a right handed shot as a centre, something many teams covet as a bit of a rare commodity.

He is the meat and potatoes of the Prince Albert Raiders top line, centering Belarusian forward Igor Revenko and 37 goal man from last year Brandon Herrod. He will be doing the dirty work and looking to set up the two more gifted offensive players on his line.

Last season as a fresh-faced 16 year old, McNeill netted 24 points in 68 games, including 9 goals. Those numbers don’t exactly jump off the page at you, but you have to realize the role he played, and the fact that his team was not a playoff club.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Forgot about this thread, thanks for the responses guys. :) Looks like he continues to score, 10 games in and he has 13 points. As far as I can tell, in this draft class only RNH is ahead of him (in the WHL).

I saw a couple of mentions of him recently:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35628-The-Hot-List-Small-town-McNeill.html
http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/10/whl-notes-mccolgan-still-looking-for.html

I think I'll check some games out sometime soon (friend has a subscription to the WHL On-Demand online video player).

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Played with him a few years ago and I like to think I could have a decently accurate and realistic grasp of how he could fit in as a pro.

At this point, I would say if he were to make the NHL eventually it would be in a Steve Bernier/Taylor Pyatt type role and ultimate upside something like Milan Michalek. He will almost certainly move to the wing if he plays pro.

Big kid who can get moving and is surprisingly agile with great stickhandling ability and can drive the net hard but isn't overly physical or have the greatest defensive awareness, might not be the most intense or fiery. Doesn't play the type of game for a big guy that could translate into a pure big grinder in the pros. He is a huge kid though who is only growing and has a pretty good and competitive attitude and this year will be huge for him.

Off to a great start already and his size and non-problematic skating ability is working majorly in his advantage right now. Getting drafted in the top 2-3 rounds is his to mess up at this point.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Forgot about this thread, thanks for the responses guys. :) Looks like he continues to score, 10 games in and he has 13 points. As far as I can tell, in this draft class only RNH is ahead of him (in the WHL).

I saw a couple of mentions of him recently:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35628-The-Hot-List-Small-town-McNeill.html
http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/10/whl-notes-mccolgan-still-looking-for.html

I think I'll check some games out sometime soon (friend has a subscription to the WHL On-Demand online video player).

Ty
Rattie
?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I can't figure out why this kid isn't listed higher on most of the rankings I've seen. He's 6'2'', 200+lbs, right handed center, that is more than willing to drop the gloves, and can really handle himself well with his fists. At to that his putting up 37gp 17g 23a 40pts on a team that sits right in the middle of the WHL in terms of P% and G/G. Double his numbers and you are looking at 74gp 34g 46a 80pts.

For comparison, look at Nino Niederreiter last year 65gp 36g 24a 60pts and Ryan Johansen 71gp 25g 44a 69pts. Both were under a point a game, both had each other to work with, and both were top five picks.

Obviously there is more to prospects than numbers but I see these two were top five picks and McNeill seems to be consistently between 15-25 in most rankings.

I've never seen him play, so I must be missing something obvious. What is it?

Dougie Seguin

2011 Cup Champs
May 2, 2010
Massachusetts
I can't figure out why this kid isn't listed higher on most of the rankings I've seen. He's 6'2'', 200+lbs, right handed center, that is more than willing to drop the gloves, and can really handle himself well with his fists. At to that his putting up 37gp 17g 23a 40pts on a team that sits right in the middle of the WHL in terms of P% and G/G. Double his numbers and you are looking at 74gp 34g 46a 80pts.

For comparison, look at Nino Niederreiter last year 65gp 36g 24a 60pts and Ryan Johansen 71gp 25g 44a 69pts. Both were under a point a game, both had each other to work with, and both were top five picks.

Obviously there is more to prospects than numbers but I see these two were top five picks and McNeill seems to be consistently between 15-25 in most rankings.

I've never seen him play, so I must be missing something obvious. What is it?

from what you just said he kind of sounds like a Ryan Getzlaf type player

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
from what you just said he kind of sounds like a Ryan Getzlaf type player

All I know about McNeill is articles I've read, video clips I've seen, and his hockeydb stat line.

What I gather from the articles is he's a very large and powerful center, shoots right, excells in all three zones, is a good, strong skater, likes to mix it up physically, and puts up good numbers.

The videos I've seen from hockeyfights.com show him really handling himself extremely well with the gloves off, and always being in the middle of things when they get a bit hairy.

Is he Getlzaf pt.II? Perhaps. Is he Chipchura pt.II? Perhaps. I honestly have no idea because I've never seen him play. Maybe something in between like a Jarret Stoll pt.II?

Last edited:

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
He will likely go in the 1st round.

Excellent bloodlines.

I have seen him live about 30 times and dozens of times on the web/tv.
I would be shocked if he lasted until the 2nd round.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Love the kids game as I have already said in the thread. I think if he slides into round 2 some team is going to get very lucky. I don't think he has as much skill as a Getzlaf. More like a Backes-type of player. Very fun to watch. Hard hitter, good skater, great on the forecheck.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Very well-rounded player from what I've seen. Considering the flawed players in the bottom half of the 1st round, I expect him to go a lot higher than what is currently projected. I guess his offense may be viewed as not having that upside but he looks impressive to me. He's just more solid than flashy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad