RW/C Mark McNeill (2011, 18th, CHI)

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Last edited:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Ok, I will take your word for it then.

Edit: Sorry, I am confused leoleo. I am not doubting you but why is his last name McNeill? I am almost positive (although I guess I can't be sure) that the man who coached me (in Edmonton) wasn't Bernie Nicholls. Did BN's ex-wife re-marry and her kid assumed the name? PM if you wish.

Last edited:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
You don't have to take my word for it....it is known throughout all of hockey.

Haha well you do seem like a knowledgeable poster so I will. I'm just a bit baffled right now, considering I am a pretty big hockey nut and played on the same team and I never clued in. Give my head a shake.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Haha well you do seem like a knowledgeable poster so I will. I'm just a bit baffled right now, considering I am a pretty big hockey nut and played on the same team and I never clued in. Give my head a shake.

Think he's ****ing with you

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Canada will need a power forward for next years WJC roster and since I believe they will be hard to come by for that year, Mark may have a decent shot at making the team.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Ok, I will take your word for it then.

Edit: Sorry, I am confused leoleo. I am not doubting you but why is his last name McNeill? I am almost positive (although I guess I can't be sure) that the man who coached me (in Edmonton) wasn't Bernie Nicholls. Did BN's ex-wife re-marry and her kid assumed the name? PM if you wish.

Last edited:

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
My apologies to all....particularly the McNeill family.
I have now been told that this info is incorrect and that the Edmonton Journal has issued an apology/correction.

Again my sincere apologies.

Regardless Mark is a very talented player that I see going in round 1.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well it willbe intersting to see where MCNEILL is on Central Scouting's Mid-terms in relation to COLIN JACOBS the other "BIG" draft-eligible centre loking to go first round from this draft's DUB crop...

I believe NHL Central Scouting had MCNEILL severl rankings ahead of Jacobs in the prelim. ranking--but I see where HF's staff has Jacobs in its top 10 prospects from the DUB for the draft and not MCNEILL in that top ten from the Dub for the draft..

So the question is which of the 2 big centres is the better prospect (those who have seen both play-,please comment--I have seen neither play..what are the differences in their games?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well it willbe intersting to see where MCNEILL is on Central Scouting's Mid-terms in relation to COLIN JACOBS the other "BIG" draft-eligible centre loking to go first round from this draft's DUB crop...

I believe NHL Central Scouting had MCNEILL severl rankings ahead of Jacobs in the prelim. ranking--but I see where HF's staff has Jacobs in its top 10 prospects from the DUB for the draft and not MCNEILL in that top ten from the Dub for the draft..

So the question is which of the 2 big centres is the better prospect (those who have seen both play-,please comment--I have seen neither play..what are the differences in their games?

I like them both, and they are both quite similar. I have also seen both play live.

I think that McNeill is the more rugged of the two and is the more physical player. I think Jacobs might be a little bit more offensively gifted, but I wouldn't say it's by much.

I like McNeill more, but I have also seen him play several more times compared to Jacobs. Should be interesting to see where they end up in the draft though.

Zach and Slater

Jan 17, 2004
Alberta
My question is does this kid have the tools to be a number 1 center? I'm doubting he has the offensive skill to be that guy but that's just an asumption because he is still only projected to go mid 1st round.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
He's a good friend of mine actually. We went to junior high together for a few years. It's nice to see him doing so well. Good guy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My question is does this kid have the tools to be a number 1 center? I'm doubting he has the offensive skill to be that guy but that's just an asumption because he is still only projected to go mid 1st round.

I would say a very solid 2nd line center.

ruski17

Jun 7, 2010
Montreal
Mark McNeill

This guy is slated to go in the 1st round and I really want him on the habs! Is it possible for him to be drafted at their pick or is he considered a guy that could jump up in the draft? Also what do you think his potential is? A big scoring center? Any NHL comparaisons to him? I think he'll be a Brendan Morrow type of player. Maybe not as good, but the same style, maybe more physical.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
living in prince albert and watching a ton of raider games, i can say mcneil has really impressed me this year. i hope to see him go 15-25 in the draft this year. he's a huge kid, already 6'2 220lbs at 17 years old, plus has some scoring touch and good hockey sense. what i would like to see outta him is bit more grittiness, but what he lacks in that area i think he could learn (puck protection, battles along the wall ect.)

he's a fun player to watch and i hope he can translate to the next level, cause with his size he could be an absolute force in the NHL for any team that drafts him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He already has his own thread kicking around here somewhere, but man the search function sucks.

I am one of his biggest fans. A complete player. Great on the forecheck. Great vision. very physical. Good on draws. Good hands in tight. Kills penalties.

He really does it all, along with having very attractive size.

I wouldn't mind seeing my Avs take him and possibly convert him to a winger.

Should be interesting to see where he goes because there are teams out there that I'm sure have him close to their top 10.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Mark McNeil

Just wondering if anyone who has watched him play can give me a detailed analysis of his game and NHL projection. Really hoping the Oilers nab him with the LA pick as he seems to fill a major need (RH shooting C with size). The kid is from Edmonton which is always a bonus to nab local talent. Mainly wondering:

How would you rate his physicality? (Better than average or destroys everything in sight???)

How is he on the dot?

Does his offensive ability look like it will translate to the pro game?

Will he drop the mitts?

What NHL player would you compare him to?

outKast*

Not offensively gifted by any stretch. Last season, he scored a measly 24 points in his rookie year. On top of that, he was left off of the Ivan Hlinka tournament roster for team Canada.

He's a boom/bust player in the first round because he's such a late bloomer. Yeah he's doing okay this year but he doesn't have first line potential. After watching him, I would project him to be a 3rd line checking center at best -- ala Paul Gaustad or Martin Hanzal (but can fight).

Some think he has higher potential. Is he a Ryan Getzlaf or is he a Chad Kilger? That remains to be seen. If a team takes him within the top 10, I will feel really bad for them. Mark is far from a blue chipper. There are much better options out there for sure.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Not offensively gifted by any stretch. Last season, he scored a measly 24 points in his rookie year. On top of that, he was left off of the Ivan Hlinka tournament roster for team Canada.

He's a boom/bust player in the first round because he's such a late bloomer. Yeah he's doing okay this year but he doesn't have first line potential. After watching him, I would project him to be a 3rd line checking center at best -- ala Paul Gaustad or Martin Hanzal (but can fight).

Some think he has higher potential. Is he a Ryan Getzlaf or is he a Chad Kilger? That remains to be seen. If a team takes him within the top 10, I will feel really bad for them. Mark is far from a blue chipper. There are much better options out there for sure.

Ryan Getzlaf put up 18 points in his rookie year in the WHL. Mcneil plays on one of the leagues weakest teams. He is literally the only bright spot to me. 68 in 70 in second year. Whereas Mcneil is on pace to put up two points more. So much for that case.

He's pushing a PPG in his pre-draft year. That is hardly a "late-bloomer" for WHL point standards. He has under-rated puck skills. Which include passing and stick handling. The edge, hard nose and great work ethic are all added plus'. Kilger has been a lifetime winger. McNeil is clearly a center. Perhaps a winger in transition but not likely. I see a similar edge thoguh. Lastly, he is not "far" from a blue chipper. He has some developing to do but he is very likely to contribute at the NHL level.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004

You do realize he severed his Achilles tendon the spring before and by his own admission came back too early, right?

Yeah, a guy who was picked fifth overall in the Bantam Draft and who was MVP of the Mac's Midget Tournament as a fifteen-year-old is a "later bloomer". :help:

Here's where you really expose the fact you have no idea what you're going on about. No team is going to take him in the top ten. I like him about as much as anyone and can't see him going before 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad