RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
We are roughly the same age and I agree with your thoughts on the North American players. That’s a very bold prediction for EP but given the way the game continues to evolve he will have a much better chance of living up to his expectations than similar players from earlier eras. Will be good for the league to add another top shelf player.
That’s just it... the league is changing. I would add as well, he’s not playing against super teams like the USA or Canada. There are some decent defense for sure, but ones with his skill he can take advantage of.

Above all else this kid just keeps getting better, and wanting to prove himself that he can be the best. That’s a very rare quality honestly.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Except it's not his IQ really that's all that stands out, even though it is absolute top end...it's his speed and his ability to make plays at top speed.
Yeah I don’t think there are any players close to McDavid when it comes to making plays at high speed. It’s just a joy to watch. I hate the oilers, but god damn I can’t hate McDavid or Draisaitl! Two amazing players!

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Uhh...don't think it was an insult bud, he was simply stating that McDavid's IQ isn't as high as Pettersson, and honestly with what he just did in the SHL I don't think you can call someone crazy for saying so, especially if you've ever seen the kid play. The difference is that McDavid is literally better every where else in comparison to Pettersson.
That’s exactly what I was saying. :)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Let’s tone down the McDavid iq comparison for now. A lot of insane comments made from non nucks fan Whois seen him play.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I’ve watched a lot of hockey in my life. I grew up in the late 70’s and raised with 80’s - Present hockey. Only 2 players have ever had the hockey IQ that “Alien” possesses... and I am in no way saying he will ever be as effective or have these types of careers. (Make sure you acknowledge this if anyone replies) only Gretzky and Lemieux have ever seen the ice like this kid has. McDavid has a speed, and the skill that accompanies that skill which is unparalleled. But his hockey IQ is not as high. It just isn’t.

When it is all said and done Elias Pettersson will be in the conversation as one of the top nhl players when he hits the age of 21/22.

He will be considered a generational talent that got overlooked because of his frame/size. But he’ll go down as one of the players in the debates of who’s the best player in the nhl during his run, simply because his hockey IQ is so much higher than anyone else since probably Crosby and now McDavid. And it is higher than McDavid. But please don’t for one millisecond think that I think he’ll be a better player than Conner. Conners complete skill set is the best package since Lemieux. And Conner is 10x the skater Lemieux ever was. But Lemieux’s iq and vision were ridiculous. EP has an IQ that high. It’s simply sick!

He’s the real deal. Book it.

wow.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I’ve watched a lot of hockey in my life. I grew up in the late 70’s and raised with 80’s - Present hockey. Only 2 players have ever had the hockey IQ that “Alien” possesses... and I am in no way saying he will ever be as effective or have these types of careers. (Make sure you acknowledge this if anyone replies) only Gretzky and Lemieux have ever seen the ice like this kid has. McDavid has a speed, and the skill that accompanies that skill which is unparalleled. But his hockey IQ is not as high. It just isn’t.

When it is all said and done Elias Pettersson will be in the conversation as one of the top nhl players when he hits the age of 21/22.

He will be considered a generational talent that got overlooked because of his frame/size. But he’ll go down as one of the players in the debates of who’s the best player in the nhl during his run, simply because his hockey IQ is so much higher than anyone else since probably Crosby and now McDavid. And it is higher than McDavid. But please don’t for one millisecond think that I think he’ll be a better player than Conner. Conners complete skill set is the best package since Lemieux. And Conner is 10x the skater Lemieux ever was. But Lemieux’s iq and vision were ridiculous. EP has an IQ that high. It’s simply sick!

He’s the real deal. Book it.
Not sure I agree with you on McDavid's IQ not being as high, but this kind of prediction definitely puts some of your credibility on the line, haha. If it ends up going the opposite direction for Pettersson, this post is going to look pretty funny in a few years. Then again, if he turns anywhere near the player you predict he'll be, that'll be a pretty damn good call.

I think he'll hit ppg a few times but end up a 70ish point player in his career. That's just my view from watching him, but he definitely has sky high potential.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Not sure I agree with you on McDavid's IQ not being as high, but this kind of prediction definitely puts some of your credibility on the line, haha. If it ends up going the opposite direction for Pettersson, this post is going to look pretty funny in a few years. Then again, if he turns anywhere near the player you predict he'll be, that'll be a pretty damn good call.

I think he'll hit ppg a few times but end up a 70ish point player in his career. That's just my view from watching him, but he definitely has sky high potential.
I’m happy to put my hockey acumen on the line here. Like many I’ve seen a lot in 35 years. And again, as I’ve said in every post I think McDavid is the better overall player... but damn EP’s hockey awareness, vision, and ability to make the right play is just stupid. Honestly, Not since Lemieux have I seen this. I just have to put it in proper context, cause already a few have taken it out of the context I put it in.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong. Just basing it on the experiences From all the years of watching/studying/analyzing hockey.

Reactions: lawrence

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I’m happy to put my hockey acumen on the line here. Like many I’ve seen a lot in 35 years. And again, as I’ve said in every post I think McDavid is the better overall player... but damn EP’s hockey awareness, vision, and ability to make the right play is just stupid. Honestly, Not since Lemieux have I seen this. I just have to put it in proper context, cause already a few have taken it out of the context I put it in.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong. Just basing it on the experiences From all the years of watching/studying/analyzing hockey.
Fair enough. I like controversial opinions, so I have no problem with you aiming high. Hope it's true.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
59580-5Bk.jpg
59540-3336839Bk.jpg

This seems off, did Forsberg really grow from 5'10 to 6'1 between his draft and his rookie year? I know he stayed in Sweden for a couple of seasons, but still.

just randomly came across this:

Quebec general manager Pierre Page doesn't seem worried that he has only 12 days to sign Swedish star PeterForsberg if he wants him for next season.

"If you have goodplayers, you have controversy," Page said. "If the choice is not to have good players or not to have controversy, I'll take the controversy."

The potential free agency of Naslund and Forsberg is undermined by the agreement between the NHL and Swedish hockey federation that stipulates Swedish players must be signed by June 30 to be eligible for 1993-94.

Page has been talking regularly with Forsberg's agent, Don Baizley, and is hopeful he can land Forsberg, considered a franchise player.

"He's a super kid," Page said. "He's grown 2 inches and 25 pounds in the last year and half."

from USA today, June 18, 1993

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Is it his right thumb or his left thumb? I'm afraid if its broken on his dominant hand, it will prevent him from signing a contract with the Canucks

Reactions: lawrence

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Without his speed, McDavid would still be a PPG player. He has some of the best vision, awareness, and hockey IQ i've ever seen.

There's a reason Hagelin and Grabner don't win Art Ross's.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Is it his right thumb or his left thumb? I'm afraid if its broken on his dominant hand, it will prevent him from signing a contract with the Canucks
i know you're partly joking, but I think we should be more concerned how this is going to affect his off season training. A broken thumb is no joke, it'll be hard to do any kind of weight training that involves the upper body. Could slow his training down.

Pettersson if anything needs to gain strength rather than weight. A few pounds of fat wouldn't be bad too, needs more beef.

But as we've seen in these world championships, Pettersson helped his case of being somewhat NHL ready next year. I hope he makes the jump to NA, there's literally nothing left to accomplish, SHL title, SHL playoff MVP and scoring title as well as the highest scoring season of any U20 yadda yadda yadda yadda among many more achievements. He has every prestigious hardware he can get from Sweden.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
i know you're partly joking, but I think we should be more concerned how this is going to affect his off season training. A broken thumb is no joke, it'll be hard to do any kind of weight training that involves the upper body. Could slow his training down.

Pettersson if anything needs to gain strength rather than weight. A few pounds of fat wouldn't be bad too, needs more beef.

But as we've seen in these world championships, Pettersson helped his case of being somewhat NHL ready next year. I hope he makes the jump to NA, there's literally nothing left to accomplish, SHL title, SHL playoff MVP and scoring title as well as the highest scoring season of any U20 yadda yadda yadda yadda among many more achievements. He has every prestigious hardware he can get from Sweden.
He should be out max a month (3-4 weeks), so not big worries about that.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
He’s done for the tourny. None the less a hell of a year for him. He was there best player up until now. He will be ready by prospects camp.
Elias was really good but he wasnt our best player. Most skilled player i can agree with but overall rakell, klingberg or zibanejad has been the best.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
Elias was really good but he wasnt our best player. Most skilled player i can agree with but overall rakell, klingberg or zibanejad has been the best.

Agreed. Rakell's been really good this tournament. Elias was getting better by each game tho, to bad he got injured. It's always a treat to watch him.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I feel like he's been pretty average this tournament. Gets knocked off the puck quite easily along the boards. He has good hands and usually makes quick smart passes. No real standout skill though. I don't think he's going to be an Elite NHL player. I think he'll be a star player but not a superstar, similar to guys like Nylander/Zibanejad/ Rakell.

I hope the Nucks start him off at the wing for the first few seasons. He will have a very hard time transitioning in at C with how physically immature he is. And he doesn't exactly have blazing speed to fall back on to make up the difference.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He should be out max a month (3-4 weeks), so not big worries about that.

I feel like he's been pretty average this tournament. Gets knocked off the puck quite easily along the boards. He has good hands and usually makes quick smart passes. No real standout skill though. I don't think he's going to be an Elite NHL player. I think he'll be a star player but not a superstar, similar to guys like Nylander/Zibanejad/ Rakell.

I hope the Nucks start him off at the wing for the first few seasons. He will have a very hard time transitioning in at C with how physically immature he is. And he doesn't exactly have blazing speed to fall back on to make up the difference.

Those guys aren’t super stars.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Those guys aren’t super stars.

So a Nylander level player ? 2nd line player ? Got it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad