RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
* Please dont blow any of the below out of proportion and have in mind that translation is done by someone with english as second language*

EP is tired of media asking question about his weight and says that plenty of player who have about the same weight as him that plays in NHL, so he should be able to play there as well and says "stupid questions get stupid answers". He also admits he has not been as succesful in WC as in the SHL protecting the puck and has to work on that.

Elias Pettersson om viktsnacket: ”Dumma frågor får dumma svar” - Sport | SVT.se

Seems like he wont be bulking up in a mindless way that we have seen some prospects done in the last couple of years and thats a good thing. It might take a while for him to build solid strength but in the long run its the better option. Hope Vancouver will give the kid guidance and have patience. In relation to this, did not Virtanen have some problems with his physics?

He did have a problem, yes. He gained lots of weight but came to camp pretty fat, which affected his conditioning a lot.
I'm glad Pettersson appears to be a smart lad to take it slow and work out in a real meaningful way. Hopefully the Canucks will be sending a trainer to Sweden to work with him 1 on 1 the entirety of the summer.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
He did have a problem, yes. He gained lots of weight but came to camp pretty fat, which affected his conditioning a lot.
I'm glad Pettersson appears to be a smart lad to take it slow and work out in a real meaningful way. Hopefully the Canucks will be sending a trainer to Sweden to work with him 1 on 1 the entirety of the summer.

I dont know how it works, but was a fitness coach problem or a individual problem? Seems like Vancouver would of had such an important prospect as Virtanen on a individual fitness regime, if so I hope they give EP better advice.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I dont know how it works, but was a fitness coach problem or a individual problem? Seems like Vancouver would of had such an important prospect as Virtanen on a individual fitness regime, if so I hope they give EP better advice.
If I recall, they told Virtanen what to work on but he did it himself and came back a big fatty. The next offseason, I believe he had a trainer for it and came to camp ready, at weight with much more solid conditioning.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I’ve watched a lot of hockey in my life. I grew up in the late 70’s and raised with 80’s - Present hockey. Only 2 players have ever had the hockey IQ that “Alien” possesses... and I am in no way saying he will ever be as effective or have these types of careers. (Make sure you acknowledge this if anyone replies) only Gretzky and Lemieux have ever seen the ice like this kid has. McDavid has a speed, and the skill that accompanies that skill which is unparalleled. But his hockey IQ is not as high. It just isn’t.

When it is all said and done Elias Pettersson will be in the conversation as one of the top nhl players when he hits the age of 21/22.

He will be considered a generational talent that got overlooked because of his frame/size. But he’ll go down as one of the players in the debates of who’s the best player in the nhl during his run, simply because his hockey IQ is so much higher than anyone else since probably Crosby and now McDavid. And it is higher than McDavid. But please don’t for one millisecond think that I think he’ll be a better player than Conner. Conners complete skill set is the best package since Lemieux. And Conner is 10x the skater Lemieux ever was. But Lemieux’s iq and vision were ridiculous. EP has an IQ that high. It’s simply sick!

He’s the real deal. Book it.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
As a lifelong Canucks fan, I’m as excited as anyone about Elias.

Regarding high IQ, yes, he has it. However, there are plenty in his class of hockey IQ already in the NHL. Of the youngsters, Mitch Marner for example is absolutely brilliant and thinks two or three steps ahead of most players.

He is not on Lemieux’s level, lets be serious. And Mario was my favourite player of all time, and watched him hundreds of times. Him, Gretzky, and Orr were legendary in their brain power to process the game. No one I’ve seen comes close. Crosby is leading the next group though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Get him to do the Sergachev/Provorov workout!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Get him to do the Sergachev/Provorov workout!

????? run 200 metres rest for 30 seconds and do this again x 10 times? Pettersson doesn't have stamina problem, he just needs to add weight.

I’ve watched a lot of hockey in my life. I grew up in the late 70’s and raised with 80’s - Present hockey. Only 2 players have ever had the hockey IQ that “Alien” possesses... and I am in no way saying he will ever be as effective or have these types of careers. (Make sure you acknowledge this if anyone replies) only Gretzky and Lemieux have ever seen the ice like this kid has. McDavid has a speed, and the skill that accompanies that skill which is unparalleled. But his hockey IQ is not as high. It just isn’t.

awesome. Makes me more excited about this player.

I am hoping he can lead us to the promised land.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
????? run 200 metres rest for 30 seconds and do this again x 10 times? Pettersson doesn't have stamina problem, he just needs to add weight.

awesome. Makes me more excited about this player.

I am hoping he can lead us to the promised land.
Whenever I hear about kids working out, I immediately think back to that post and how insane a summer that must have been training.

Reactions: lawrence

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

When it is all said and done Elias Pettersson will be in the conversation as one of the top nhl players when he hits the age of 21/22.

He will be considered a generational talent that got overlooked because of his frame/size. But he’ll go down as one of the players in the debates of who’s the best player in the nhl during his run, simply because his hockey IQ is so much higher than anyone else since probably Crosby and now McDavid. And it is higher than McDavid. But please don’t for one millisecond think that I think he’ll be a better player than Conner. Conners complete skill set is the best package since Lemieux. And Conner is 10x the skater Lemieux ever was. But Lemieux’s iq and vision were ridiculous. EP has an IQ that high. It’s simply sick!

This is hilarious.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
As a lifelong Canucks fan, I’m as excited as anyone about Elias.

Regarding high IQ, yes, he has it. However, there are plenty in his class of hockey IQ already in the NHL. Of the youngsters, Mitch Marner for example is absolutely brilliant and thinks two or three steps ahead of most players.

He is not on Lemieux’s level, lets be serious. And Mario was my favourite player of all time, and watched him hundreds of times. Him, Gretzky, and Orr were legendary in their brain power to process the game. No one I’ve seen comes close. Crosby is leading the next group though.
I’m basing my thoughts on what I’ve seen. The kids IQ is higher than marners. He thinks the game on a different level. You have too to attempt what he tries.

And again all I am saying is from what I can see. The kids slight build scared a lot of gm’s off... I think they’ll regret it.

Oh and the kids pre game warm up... not soccer. Juggling on a unicycle. Yes you read that right. He’s not a clown, but I suppose there’s always that option...

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

We are roughly the same age and I agree with your thoughts on the North American players. That’s a very bold prediction for EP but given the way the game continues to evolve he will have a much better chance of living up to his expectations than similar players from earlier eras. Will be good for the league to add another top shelf player.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
This is hilarious.

Uhh...don't think it was an insult bud, he was simply stating that McDavid's IQ isn't as high as Pettersson, and honestly with what he just did in the SHL I don't think you can call someone crazy for saying so, especially if you've ever seen the kid play. The difference is that McDavid is literally better every where else in comparison to Pettersson.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Uhh...don't think it was an insult bud, he was simply stating that McDavid's IQ isn't as high as Pettersson, and honestly with what he just did in the SHL I don't think you can call someone crazy for saying so, especially if you've ever seen the kid play. The difference is that McDavid is literally better every where else in comparison to Pettersson.

No, it's objectively crazy to say that about the back to back Art Ross winning player.

Deleted member 55113

No, it's objectively crazy to say that about the back to back Art Ross winning player.

Not sure what Art Ross has anything to do with it. Art Ross is awarded to a player in a certain year. It doesn't mean that there won't be better players in the future. Last back to back Art Ross winner was Jagr. Was McDavid or even Crosby not higher IQ than Jagr?

Will EP be better than McDavid in the future? Nobody knows and as of right now, he's unproven in the NHL and unsure if his skillset will fully translate.

Reactions: lawrence

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Elias defensive game is so good, sometimes too defensive at times that hurts his offense.
Elias is really good defensively. Pretty sure he was on the ice for only 6 or 7 times this past season in Sweden.

I have no doubt in my mind this guy will be a star in the NHL. He knows he needs to gain weight and he said he will in the off-season. If he can come to camp 10-12lbs heavier, which probably is going to be mostly fat and it isnt a bad thing at all considering how skinny he is, then he's an instant lock on making the team next year.

Put him on a line with Big Bo, and I can see him easily potting at least 60 pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad