RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
So a Nylander level player ? 2nd line player ? Got it
nylander was 64th in the league in pts (for forwards) this season as a 21 year old don't be purposefully ignorant he's a first liner regardless if you're not a fan of his or not a fan of his play style.

71st in PPG this this season of all forwards with 50+ games

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So a Nylander level player ? 2nd line player ? Got it
You don't sound bitter at all. And for the record, if Babs finally puts Willie at C full time this year, he'll be a 3rd line player, not second. ;)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You shouldn’t respond to him, he’s very insecure.

Is this necessary?

I consider a 62 point player a 2nd line player, and if you want to counter on yes..... horvat is one too, he was trending towards 58 points which will make him a 2nd line player.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I feel like he's been pretty average this tournament. Gets knocked off the puck quite easily along the boards. He has good hands and usually makes quick smart passes. No real standout skill though. I don't think he's going to be an Elite NHL player. I think he'll be a star player but not a superstar, similar to guys like Nylander/Zibanejad/ Rakell.

I hope the Nucks start him off at the wing for the first few seasons. He will have a very hard time transitioning in at C with how physically immature he is. And he doesn't exactly have blazing speed to fall back on to make up the difference.

So a 60 point player then ? Got it.

Reactions: nobody

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Nylander is only effective when the puck is on his stick. Pettersson is a lot smarter without the puck in all three zones and that's why he will become a better, more productive player. He also doesn't shy away from the tough areas like Nylander often does. Putting a ceiling on a player like Pettersson could make you look silly in a few years

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Reading and listening to recent interviews with Växjö GM and head coach I get the impression that Pettersson staying with Växjö is still very much a possibility.

Reactions: lawrence

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Reading and listening to recent interviews with Växjö GM and head coach I get the impression that Pettersson staying with Växjö is still very much a possibility.
Canucks have not signed him to an ELC yet, but GMs will always speak this way when it comes to players currently on their roster who are prospects of NHL teams. It was the same with Adam Gaudette's coach at Northeastern saying that he thinks Gaudette should stay another year instead of sign, lo and behold, he signed with us.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Makes no sense for him. I'm sure the GM and coach are hoping and praying he comes back for another season so their interviews will never rule it out, but another season in the SHL wouldn't get him closer to his goal of playing in the NHL as soon as possible. I don't think he took a solid hit all season in the SHL and in the WC he was getting knocked all over the place. He should be in NA next year growing with Utica in the AHL if he doesn't make the Canucks to learn the game at a level/style closer to the NHL.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Makes no sense for him. I'm sure the GM and coach are hoping and praying he comes back for another season so their interviews will never rule it out, but another season in the SHL wouldn't get him closer to his goal of playing in the NHL as soon as possible. I don't think he took a solid hit all season in the SHL and in the WC he was getting knocked all over the place. He should be in NA next year growing with Utica in the AHL if he doesn't make the Canucks to learn the game at a level/style closer to the NHL.

I don't think Pettersson returning to Växjö is very likely either. Who knows what he is thinking though.

You can talk about hits, rink size etc. and it all sounds good in theory but the SHL has a much better track record than the AHL when it comes to developing the really good Swedish players. The AHL also does not have a very good reputation among Swedish players in general. Pettersson just needs to become stronger, much stronger. Adapting to a different ice surface should not be a problem for him.

Pettersson could sign with the Canucks under the agreement that he would be sent back to Växjö if he didn't make the team, those types of deals are not uncommon. The Canucks could obviously force him to play wherever they wanted but everyone knows they can't afford to mess up their relations with a prospect of that caliber.

Also remember that Pettersson chose to stay an extra year in Allsvenskan a couple of years ago despite getting offers from just about all SHL teams. The deal from the beginning was for him to stay in Växjö for 2 years, nobody expected him to be this good already.

Last edited:

member 157595

I'm not a Vancouver fan but what on Earth could Pettersson possibly gain from another year in Sweden? What does he have left to learn? What is left to accomplish?

I'm not insulting the SHL in any way since it's a very good league but it's clear he has graduated from it.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
I'm not a Vancouver fan but what on Earth could Pettersson possibly gain from another year in Sweden? What does he have left to learn? What is left to accomplish?

I'm not insulting the SHL in any way since it's a very good league but it's clear he has graduated from it.

I think spending a few weeks around some good NHL players can make him understand how far he is from being what he has been this year at the highest level. Watching the games with Team Sweden now and it's clear he is still a fair bit away from being a Rakell or Zibanejad or even a Gustav Nyquist. Some of it is pure physical growth of course and many current and former players have said that it's very hard to get into good workout habits with the AHL schedule compared to the European schedule and travel. So I think it's just a case of deciding to rule out AHL as an option.

With the season he's had I'm sure he'll be in Vancouver anyway if nothing else to sell tickets and buy the coach and Jim Benning some more time because they played the young guys.

member 157595

I think spending a few weeks around some good NHL players can make him understand how far he is from being what he has been this year at the highest level. Watching the games with Team Sweden now and it's clear he is still a fair bit away from being a Rakell or Zibanejad or even a Gustav Nyquist. Some of it is pure physical growth of course and many current and former players have said that it's very hard to get into good workout habits with the AHL schedule compared to the European schedule and travel. So I think it's just a case of deciding to rule out AHL as an option.

With the season he's had I'm sure he'll be in Vancouver anyway if nothing else to sell tickets and buy the coach and Jim Benning some more time because they played the young guys.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have to earn his spot in the Vancouver lineup; he most certainly should. However, I think he should come over to North America full-time because he has nothing left to prove in his current league.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
I'm not saying he shouldn't have to earn his spot in the Vancouver lineup; he most certainly should. However, I think he should come over to North America full-time because he has nothing left to prove in his current league.

I was saying (if he doesn't make the NHL team) it's about what's best long-term for his physical growth more than what records he's set.

Deleted member 55113

I was saying (if he doesn't make the NHL team) it's about what's best long-term for his physical growth more than what records he's set.

What's best for him is to get him on the Kyle Wellwood diet. That should add some much needed fat as a starting base. Turn that fat into muscle and he'll be even heavier!

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
Wow. Broken thumb on that play? Might need some calcium and vit D in his diet or else he'll shatter in the NHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hes really gotta bulk up this summer. Add 15-20 pounds. I think he can do it that way he will be ready to take NHL level hits a lil better

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Should wait and see how he performs at camp and how he feels. No point in pushing him in to the NHL if he doesn't feel ready.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Hes really gotta bulk up this summer. Add 15-20 pounds. I think he can do it that way he will be ready to take NHL level hits a lil better

The only way someone can add 15-20 pounds in 4 months is

1- it's all fat
2- steroids.

People think these guys can just pack muscle on no problem. 15 pounds of muscle mass is A LOT.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Wasn't his only argument that staying one year as the "star of SHL" would prepare him for being the star of Vancouver and the North American media? As if he hasn't been the player with the most media coverage this season already.

Reactions: Index
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad