RW/C Elias Pettersson (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 5

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I think he can have a Quinn Hughes esque career when all is said and done. High expectations, I know, but he's got the potential.
Dont be ridiculus. Quinn the Grin’s career thus far faaaaar excels everything Elias has done in his. Quinn’s got better mits, IQ, skating and speed than almost everyone in the NHL already. Praise Elias all you want, just dont mention him in the same sentence as Quinn with the Grin just yet

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Dont be ridiculus. Quinn the Grin’s career thus far faaaaar excels everything Elias has done in his. Quinn’s got better mits, IQ, skating and speed than almost everyone in the NHL already. Praise Elias all you want, just dont mention him in the same sentence as Quinn with the Grin just yet

Aren't you the guy that tried to downplay Pettersson's historical draft + 1 season all year long and now has egg all over his face? How's the crow tasting these days?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Whats is going on in here?Aint Quinn a D and above all not named Elias Pettersson which this thread should be about...

Elias need to adjust his aim 2.54cm (1 inch).

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Aren't you the guy that tried to downplay Pettersson's historical draft + 1 season all year long and now has egg all over his face? How's the crow tasting these days?
Sure am, and even the national coaches and journalists ovah heaah are as surprised, and happy, for Elias success, mind you.
Elias shouldnt be compared to Quinn the Fin though, thats too much. Quinn the Real Deal is god.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
When you cant trust your dmen with the puck cough pouliot cough gudbranson

Yup. I’ve noticed this for a long time. Green will play the gudbranson/ pouliot pairing with the pettersson line as much as possible to give them the best chance of not being scored on.

Easy minutes my ass.

pomx

May 15, 2014
Sure am, and even the national coaches and journalists ovah heaah are as surprised, and happy, for Elias success, mind you.
Elias shouldnt be compared to Quinn the Fin though, thats too much. Quinn the Real Deal is god.
Right... Meanwhile, journalists over here all saw this coming and were praising his Generational season in SHL. But your “he won’t be able to translate his game to the NA rink” take was the best though.

Reactions: Grub and EP40

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Right... Meanwhile, journalists over here all saw this coming and were praising his Generational season in SHL. But your “he won’t be able to translate his game to the NA rink” take was the best though.
When did I ever say that he wouldnt be able to do it? Ugh, internet warrior

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I don't get where this "Quinn Hughes is overhyped" narrative is coming from.
Canucks fans have admitted that Hughes needs some work on his defensive game and has had some bad giveaways over the last couple of months that led to goals. We're excited for his skating, breakouts, and playmaking abilities. A lot of the people that have overhyped him aren't even Canucks fans (e.g. Brian Campbell comparing his skating to Scott Niedermayer).

Reactions: lurking and EP40

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
JAS posted in the petey vs svech thread that he was concerned, but still saw petey as good. Very fair
I'm honestly at a loss about what you'd be concerned about watching him.

Perhaps because he's already had two injuries already? But even then, putting it into context, those happened off of freak, non hockey plays.

I don't understand how you can watch him and think he's going to be anything short of an elite 1C.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I'm honestly at a loss about what you'd be concerned about watching him.

Perhaps because he's already had two injuries already? But even then, putting it into context, those happened off of freak, non hockey plays.

I don't understand how you can watch him and think he's going to be anything short of an elite 1C.
Yeah, it was, like everyones, about his size and play on a higher lever, plus the speed. I saw him live a couple of times during the WHC in Copenhagen where he got outmuscled along the boards vs Belarus, for example, time and time again, but its amazing how he just turned his play up in every league he goes to. HA to the SHL, SHL to the SHL playoffs and now SHL playoffs to the NHL. Its truly amazing.

Hes an awesome player and, obviously, the best fw coming out from Sweden in quite a while. Dont compare him to Hughes though, hes not that good ;)

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah, it was, like everyones, about his size and play on a higher lever, plus the speed. I saw him live a couple of times during the WHC in Copenhagen where he got outmuscled along the boards vs Belarus, for example, time and time again, but its amazing how he just turned his play up in every league he goes to. HA to the SHL, SHL to the SHL playoffs and now SHL playoffs to the NHL. Its truly amazing.

Hes an awesome player and, obviously, the best fw coming out from Sweden in quite a while. Dont compare him to Hughes though, hes not that good ;)
That's never really been his game, though. He's never going to be good along the boards. That's just not his playstyle. He's not going to be a Forsberg type player out there. He'll be like Backstrom with a better shot and faster, I'd guess, if I had to give a stylistic comparison. Never going to be the biggest guy or gritty, but just a premier offensive talent.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
That's never really been his game, though. He's never going to be good along the boards. That's just not his playstyle. He's not going to be a Forsberg type player out there. He'll be like Backstrom with a better shot and faster, I'd guess, if I had to give a stylistic comparison. Never going to be the biggest guy or gritty, but just a premier offensive talent.
Exactly, that's whats been most impressive thus far - his ability to change his game and play style etc. Think he'll be more lika a Datsyuk with a far better shot (or more willing to shot). He slows down the pace of the game kinda like Forsberg, but he'll never be the brute force like Peter was. Instead, he'll use his smarts, like Dats. Thats my take at least.

Reactions: Grantham and clunk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad