RW/C Elias Pettersson (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 5

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Starting to resent EP because he’s ruining the tank. Frick off. (Still love you)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Kid is the only reason we are still fighting for the playoffs.

No, the Western Conference being absolutely terrible is the reason we're fighting for the playoffs. A .500 team in any other year is not in the race.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
We are only .500 because of him

This benning team would be bottom 2 without Pettersson

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I admit it's been a while since I watched Canucks so I don't know how much his coverage has increased but at least based on his latest goal there was almost zero respect for his shot when he had the puck for a few seconds before shooting it.

I don't doubt Pettersson's coverage has increased during the season but I doubt his shot still gets the same kind of respect than Ovie's or Laine's shots because they would never have same kind of time and space as Pettersson had in that clip.

There's been a pretty big change in the way teams play Pettersson from about December on. He used to have daaays to get his shot off on the halfwall, but not anymore. He's struggled a bit to get his one-timer off with the new attention, he used it a lot early in the season, but teams have been cheating toward him the second he cocks his stick. I suspect we'll see him adjust and not telegraph his onetimer so much.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
People are acting like Pettersson is a pure sniper who is useless when his shot isn't there, as if he can't pass.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, I'll start hating Petterson when the Canucks are in the playoffs. Until then he is a super stud.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
To be fair it’s only 2 guys , and we have far more overzealous non Canuck fans on this thread. Not to mention none of them are going around starting useless pettersson threads or polls. So pretty much harmless and I rarely see them attack other players.

To be honest I’ve seen leafs fan go far more extreme then porchdesign and ainec.

My fellow leafs fans and the finish jets fans are way more obnoxious than most nucks fans. You guys should be excited about Petterson. Not often you can say a guy was a steal at pick no. 5.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And this is the crux of why some people are offended and twisted about him being compared to players who were 1st or 2nd overalls.

But years after the draft, it means nothing. Especially if some 17 year olds have already developed the body of s full grown man pre draft and others still look like scrawny teens. At the age of 22-23 it whatever, many things are equal that weren’t at the age of 17.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
And this is the crux of why some people are offended and twisted about him being compared to players who were 1st or 2nd overalls.

But years after the draft, it means nothing. Especially if some 17 year olds have already developed the body of s full grown man pre draft and others still look like scrawny teens. At the age of 22-23 it whatever, many things are equal that weren’t at the age of 17.
I agree. Some people act like development is linear, when in reality some players who were picked in later rounds even can be better than the top 3 drafted players (2011 being a good example with RNH at #1 OA and Kucherov at #58 OA).

Reactions: koyvoo

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Just for fun, imagine the Nucks took Glass instead of EP, and thus were much worse this year. What would you rather have?

EP + 2019 ~14th overall
vs
Glass + 2019 ~3rd overall

For me it’s EP with a worse pick easily.

EP easily

and there's a player I'd love to get at 3rd

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Just for fun, imagine the Nucks took Glass instead of EP, and thus were much worse this year. What would you rather have?

EP + 2019 ~14th overall
vs

Great scenario. That’d be tough, but you’re right, Ep all the way! But I hope and pray we lose a few games here and there so we can have EP and like pick 7 :)

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
There's been a pretty big change in the way teams play Pettersson from about December on. He used to have daaays to get his shot off on the halfwall, but not anymore. He's struggled a bit to get his one-timer off with the new attention, he used it a lot early in the season, but teams have been cheating toward him the second he cocks his stick. I suspect we'll see him adjust and not telegraph his onetimer so much.
And as we can see he doesnt need his one timer.

AuVetShkine

Aug 2, 2018

EP + 2019 ~14th overall
vs

EP + 2019 ~14th overall

EP vs 2019 ~3rd EP ainec. Comfirmed gem vs good odds of having a good/great player, hopes for a gem, and small fears of a bust. Besides exceptions, any draft pick is a lottery ticket. EP was a great jackpot. According to you, EP alone made the Canucks gain 11 spots in the standings. Keep the guy.

Glass vs 2019 ~14th I say Glass and you argue for a better guy at 14th but no way the advantage for the 14th can offset the gap in EP VS 2019 ~3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad