RW/C Elias Pettersson (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
What an awesome player, he is becoming one of my favorites playing in the NHL. Playing center in elite-level is probably one of the most difficult tasks in hockey. He has all the tools to be one of the best in that position. His hockey IQ is his biggest asset and on the top of that he has an excellent shot and silky hands. Datsyuk comparison isn't far off.

Very nice to see Sweden producing a forward of this caliber. They've always had the depth in every position, but they've been lacking a true superstar in forwards. And btw, I'm a Finn, but I'm genuinely happy for you guys :D I have always loved the elite-level centers with complete tools in two-way game that Sweden has produced.

Reactions: Slimmy and EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He would have to outscore Backstrom, Karlsson, Forsberg to name the first 3 Swedish stars that came to mind. Possible but I wouldn't bet on it. In a couple of years, though, I may be willing to take that bet
Wouldn’t bet on it either, but it really wouldn’t surprise me. He has a history of completely shattering all expectations on him.

Reactions: Slimmy and 42

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah he needs to work on consistency in faceoffs. Last game he went 60% and led the Canucks in faceoff % after working on it with Manny during practice. Kids a fast learner after going 33% the first game.
At least 80% next game or bust;)

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
People should temper expectations a bit. It is his rookie season and usually rookies run out of gas. I think he score between 50-70 this season which would be very good.

Good advice. But I think Pettersson is not your average rookie. He schooled the Swedish Hockey League last year, winning MVP, scoring title, playoff MVP and scoring leader en route to winning the Championship while getting better as the season went on. From what I've seen, he has a masterful ability to learn quickly from experience, both from success and failure.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Flames game, full highlights + deaks, everything!

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good advice. But I think Pettersson is not your average rookie. He schooled the Swedish Hockey League last year, winning MVP, scoring title, playoff MVP and scoring leader en route to winning the Championship while getting better as the season went on. From what I've seen, he has a masterful ability to learn quickly from experience, both from success and failure.

This has nothing to do with his ability to adapt, he is going to be playing 30 more games than he is accustomed to on smaller ice where he is going to be roughed up a lot more than he is used to. Most rookies hit a wall around January/February simply because they aren't used to the grind of the regular season and don't pace themselves. Watching Pettersson right now he will probably hit that wall as well, especially once teams start focusing on him and not Horvats line.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The fact he dropped because he was 15/20 pounds 2 skinny is just a gift for vancouver

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
This has nothing to do with his ability to adapt, he is going to be playing 30 more games than he is accustomed to on smaller ice where he is going to be roughed up a lot more than he is used to. Most rookies hit a wall around January/February simply because they aren't used to the grind of the regular season and don't pace themselves. Watching Pettersson right now he will probably hit that wall as well, especially once teams start focusing on him and not Horvats line.

What you just said has everything to do with his ability to adapt.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Next Olympics.

Arvidsson-Pettersson-Forsberg

Nylander-Backstrom-Rakell

Landeskog-Karlsson-Lindholm

Zibanejad-Backlund-Fast

Dahlin-Karlsson

Lindholm-Hedman

OEL-Ekholm

Bob Saget
Brian Boitano
Wow thats some pretty high praise, I can only hope he becomes that good by the time the next olympics rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad