RW Albin Grewe - Djurgardens IF J20, SuperElit (2019, 66th, DET)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think it's more that his game is better honed at the CHL/AHL level. He has skill but if he makes it to the NHL it will be as a buzzsaw type 3rd/4th liner. He likes to play physical and be an agitator. In Sweden he was getting called for penalties that would be nothings on a North American team. This is a much better move for him from a development standpoint, and probably should have been done last year in hindsight.
NA players must have a ton of concussions, then.

I'd also say he gets agitated more than he is an agitator, as he does a ton of stupid, retaliation, stuff.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Why was he drafted so late in the CHL import draft? Was he only willing to go to certain teams/certain league?

I know how import drafts work and know majority of players agents reach out across the CHL letting teams know they want to come to North America. You would think this guy should have been a top 10 pick in the draft if it was known he was willing to come to any CHL team

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Why was he drafted so late in the CHL import draft? Was he only willing to go to certain teams/certain league?

I know how import drafts work and know majority of players agents reach out across the CHL letting teams know they want to come to North America. You would think this guy should have been a top 10 pick in the draft if it was known he was willing to come to any CHL team

Saginaw and Detroit probably had this worked out well in advance. Saginaw could have easily taken him with their first pick but likely thought Mintyukov wouldn’t have been available at their second pick. They needed an 03 from this draft so they took one in the first knowing full well they already would be able to get Grewe.

Plus this isn't like the old days where you could trade picks. Otherwise you might have seen a team take him early in order to flip him for assets. Now struggling teams can't even do that. They have to settle for anyone that will report because they can't afford to swing and miss.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Saginaw and Detroit probably had this worked out well in advance. Saginaw could have easily taken him with their first pick but likely thought Mintyukov wouldn’t have been available at their second pick. They needed an 03 from this draft so they took one in the first knowing full well they already would be able to get Grewe.

Plus this isn't like the old days where you could trade picks. Otherwise you might have seen a team take him early in order to flip him for assets. Now struggling teams can't even do that. They have to settle for anyone that will report because they can't afford to swing and miss.

Just strange cause I can think of a handful of WHL teams that would be a perfect fit for him and have VERY strong Euro contacts and had Euros that have exceeded massively that woulda taken him very high. But like I said maybe Grewe wanted to strictly play in OHL and possibly for only certain teams. I know many players have preferred only certain teams in the past

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If he gets some icetime I wouldn't be surprised to see 30 goals from Grewe. He's got pretty decent hands but found himself in too much trouble in the SHL so he didn't get a chance to display them enough.

Reactions: KristichBabych

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just strange cause I can think of a handful of WHL teams that would be a perfect fit for him and have VERY strong Euro contacts and had Euros that have exceeded massively that woulda taken him very high. But like I said maybe Grewe wanted to strictly play in OHL and possibly for only certain teams. I know many players have preferred only certain teams in the past

I would almost guarantee he made it known he was going nowhere but Saginaw. Down the road from Detroit, ownership has a couple Detroit guys in it, they can work on his development to fit what Detroit wants etc. Theres no way he would be reporting to some random team over here

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I would almost guarantee he made it known he was going nowhere but Saginaw. Down the road from Detroit, ownership has a couple Detroit guys in it, they can work on his development to fit what Detroit wants etc. Theres no way he would be reporting to some random team over here

Good to know!.. didnt realize the Wings connection with the Spirit

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

This is probably the easiest pick to explain in the whole draft. Red Wings like him as a prospect and care about his development, didn’t like his usage in Sweden, told him they want him in Saginaw and told the Spirit he’s coming. Any team would be happy to get a guy like him, even more so with this year’s uncertainty. I’m sure that was 100% a Detroit move, not him wanting to go to Saginaw or Saginaw wanting him.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I’m a little Concerned.....if he “makes his line mates worse” and has a low hockey iq then how can Saginaw even think of putting him with Perfetti and Suzuki??

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I’m a little Concerned.....if he “makes his line mates worse” and has a low hockey iq then how can Saginaw even think of putting him with Perfetti and Suzuki??

Yes he may be playing on a line with 2 potential NHLers in Perfetti and Suzuki so he might stick out a little there but I can assure you there are alot worse OHL top 6 players than Grewe.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

He was a very good scorer in Swedish juniors. He's not a low IQ player and displayed a good combination of wheels and hands. His 'dumb plays' are being overly aggressive, and in Sweden a lot of what he was called for wouldn't have been penalties over in North American hockey.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

If a junior team youre a fan of has Grewe as the worst player, I wouldnt be too worried about that line at all.

Hes been really good everywhere except in the SHL against men. Going down a level he will be really good. Not to mention he plays a way more north american style of game that will compliment those 2s skill quite a bit

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Good to hear. I think he will be a huge add for Saginaw. Just not sure if he is the right guy to line up with those guys but definitely a top 6

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He was a very good scorer in Swedish juniors. He's not a low IQ player and displayed a good combination of wheels and hands. His 'dumb plays' are being overly aggressive, and in Sweden a lot of what he was called for wouldn't have been penalties over in North American hockey.
Nevermind the other parts which I disagree on, meanwhile, Kris Versteeg just said you don't get called for anything in Sweden, compared the SHL to "rugby on ice", and said the referee level is bad.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Nevermind the other parts which I disagree on, meanwhile, Kris Versteeg just said you don't get called for anything in Sweden, compared the SHL to "rugby on ice", and said the referee level is bad.

The SHL is rugby on ice? Good grief. That league calls everything. If he's complaining it's because he hasn't been able to skate enough to keep up for the last 10 years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The SHL is rugby on ice? Good grief. That league calls everything. If he's complaining it's because he hasn't been able to skate enough to keep up for the last 10 years.

I have. It's a skater's league, not a grinder's league. of the European leagues the only one I'd rank as less physical is probably the Swiss NL. This isn't an indictment by any means, but there's not nearly as much behind the scenes stuff and "rugby hockey" plays as some other euro leagues or the AHL.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I have. It's a skater's league, not a grinder's league. of the European leagues the only one I'd rank as less physical is probably the Swiss NL. This isn't an indictment by any means, but there's not nearly as much behind the scenes stuff and "rugby hockey" plays as some other euro leagues or the AHL.
Uhhhh, did you just say the SHL isn't a grinder's league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad