News Article: Rutherford has resigned - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I will say that if Hextall wins the Cup as a Penguins GM that would be hilarious and satisfying. But everything about how he handled Philly suggests that the Cup would come after Crosby and Malkin are gone. I don’t think that’s the right play.

However, he probably would make the team less soft.

I think just him becoming the next Pens GM will drive flyers fans nuts!!
Him winning a Cup here would be something, poor baby flyer fans lol

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If they are not going to let the new gm trade Letang and Peterson or Brian within the next year why take the job.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
If they are not going to let the new gm trade Letang and Peterson or Brian within the next year why take the job.
upload_2021-2-4_12-56-23.jpeg

upload_2021-2-4_12-56-38.jpeg

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Why is “average GM timetable” the standard and not “this coach is killing the team” the standard? I don’t want a GM who looks at a horrid soul sucking coach and shrugs “well, it’s not really nice to let him go. Only guys like Rutherford would do that.”

Because “average GM timetable” is how 90% of professional sports teams are actually run. If teams were run based on firing guys the minute it seemed like they were “killing the team” then the turnover would be asinine and you wouldn’t be able to hire quality candidates

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Because “average GM timetable” is how 90% of professional sports teams are actually run. If teams were run based on firing guys the minute it seemed like they were “killing the team” then the turnover would be asinine and you wouldn’t be able to hire quality candidates

“The minute“ would be after like 20 games. Hakstol was kept for three seasons even though it was obvious to everyone that he was really, really bad 1.5 seasons into his tenure at best.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
“The minute“ would be after like 20 games. Hakstol was kept for three seasons even though it was obvious to everyone that he was really, really bad 1.5 seasons into his tenure at best.

Ok....most GM’s give there guys more then 1.5 seasons to try and sort their shit out. Especially considering he was a guy that came from the college ranks he gave him a year to many to see if he could figure it out. GM’s do that all the time in sports. It’s how they operate. You would probably hate being a Bears or Broncos fan. Guys very rarely get fired after 1 or 1.5 seasons. It just doesn’t happen

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ok....most GM’s give there guys more then 1.5 seasons to try and sort their shit out. Especially considering he was a guy that came from the college ranks he gave him a year to many to see if he could figure it out. GM’s do that all the time in sports. It’s how they operate. You would probably hate being a Bears or Broncos fan. Guys very rarely get fired after 1 or 1.5 seasons. It just doesn’t happen

Except when it does. In this case, it should have. Lord knows Flyers had enough losing streaks in that time to justify it. You can ask any Flyers fan alive if Hakstol was obviously given too much rope and expect the same answer.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
And Ray Shero won 1 cup, got the Penguins to another cup and made draft picks from 2010-2013 that played a massive role in them winning 2 more cups.

So yeah, I'll be fine with Shero 2.0 because acting like Shero was a bad GM is asinine. Just like I'd be fine with a JR 2.0 GM.
upload_2021-2-4_12-55-7.gif

He was awful at drafting until the very end of his reign of terror. He pissed away an entire off season thinking he could sign Parise and Suter, even though they both made it public they wanted to play closer to home. He never seemed to have a back up plan.

He gets credit for the Iggy trade, but Iginla was the one with the no-movement clause that ultimately chose Pittsburgh over Boston.

My biggest gripe was his obsession with drafting dmen, and pretty much failing every time. He seemed to think he could then flip them for gold, and fans here actually fell for it. These guys just never panned out and were involved in minor deals. His whole plan blew up in his face.

And then you had the long list of garbage players that played with our star players. 2014 was brutal, Shero throw so much **** at the wall and nothing stuck.

How did he do in New Jersey?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Except when it does. In this case, it should have. Lord knows Flyers had enough losing streaks in that time to justify it. You can ask any Flyers fan alive if Hakstol was obviously given too much rope and expect the same answer.

That’s cool...GM’s don’t operate like fans so though. If they did Sully would have been fired last year and we’d be watching Quennville coach the Pens right now. But again GM’s don’t operate like fans on a message board

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Shero’s later picks were good and we traded a lot of our 1sts and 2nds so can’t expect great draft results.

I agree though that he tried to make us Nashville with 87 and 71. In that respect he was a bit of a poor fit given our success since with mediocre D corps.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also can we get all of these Rutherford threads put into a stickied thread showing the proper use of the word “resigned”? I think we set an HFB record. :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Resigned
Re-signed

No didgeridoo to that boomerang

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
View attachment 392550

He was awful at drafting until the very end of his reign of terror. He pissed away an entire off season thinking he could sign Parise and Suter, even though they both made it public they wanted to play closer to home. He never seemed to have a back up plan.

He gets credit for the Iggy trade, but Iginla was the one with the no-movement clause that ultimately chose Pittsburgh over Boston.

My biggest gripe was his obsession with drafting dmen, and pretty much failing every time. He seemed to think he could then flip them for gold, and fans here actually fell for it. These guys just never panned out and were involved in minor deals. His whole plan blew up in his face.

And then you had the long list of garbage players that played with our star players. 2014 was brutal, Shero throw so much **** at the wall and nothing stuck.

Parise and Suter signed July 4th...FA started July 1st. How is that "pissed away an entire offseason"? There were also several teams in on wanting to sign them and there were reasons to believe we were in contention. Minnesota had the upper hand due to location but it was far from a foregone conclusion. But don't let facts and context get in the wage of your rage posting.

Reactions: OswaldBates

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
View attachment 392550

you need a tractor trailer full of Snickers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here was the Penguins roster at the end of the 2005-2006 season:

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
LeClair-Hillbert-Recchi
Surovy-Christensen-Ouellett
Koltsov-Talbot-Boguniecki

Orpik-Gonchar
Scuderi-Whitney
Melichar-Welsch

Fleury-Caron

This was their lineup at the end of the 2007-2008 season:

Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa
Malone-Malkin-Sykora
Talbot-Staal-Kennedy
Roberts-Hall-Ruuttu

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Sydor
Scuderi-Gill

Fleury-Conklin

So yeah, sorry if I don't buy the "Ray Shero did nothing" claim.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Man that bottom pairing is hilarious. I'd pay to watch Scuderi and Gill defend nowadays. :laugh: Those two made Maatta look like McDavid.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Here was the Penguins roster at the end of the 2005-2006 season:

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
LeClair-Hillbert-Recchi
Surovy-Christensen-Ouellett
Koltsov-Talbot-Boguniecki

Orpik-Gonchar
Scuderi-Whitney
Melichar-Welsch

Fleury-Caron

This was their lineup at the end of the 2007-2008 season:

Dupuis-Crosby-Hossa
Malone-Malkin-Sykora
Talbot-Staal-Kennedy
Roberts-Hall-Ruuttu

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Sydor
Scuderi-Gill

Fleury-Conklin

So yeah, sorry if I don't buy the "Ray Shero did nothing" claim.

God I loved that 2008 team. That had such a sexy combination of everything. Add Letang to it and it would have been a bomb 2009 team.

Shero's downfall was three-fold.

1. He hitched his wagon to Bylsma. The playoff failures were as much a coaching and control problem as they were a roster structure problem. That 2012 team should have gotten past the 1st round, even with Fleury being the pile of shit he was then. Bylsma's useful life was over then. 2013 and 2014 under him was a mistake on Shero's part.

2. He always focused on a quick fix rather than long term planning. I have to hand it to JR for shopping for impact players with longer term deals. Complete opposite of Shero. Shero always wanted the UFA rental at the TDL to "put them over the top" without realizing that the bandaid wasn't closing a wound that required sutures. Looking at the assets he pissed away on rentals, he could have used them on better candidates.

3. He never seemed to have an idea of what type of team they were going to be and this meets up with #1. Bylsma was that "grind it out" team guy which would have been nice....had Shero brought in guys that could grind it out and score. It totally missed the mark on what would maximize Sid and Geno in their prime years. That is unforgivable to an extent.

If Shero had solved any one of those three things, he may have saved his own skin. Hilariously, not long after being hired by NJ, he makes a trade that would have saved his bacon in Pittsburgh - Kyle Palmieri for a 2nd. Lol.

Shero did decent things but like Therrien, like Bylsma, like JR, and presumably like Sullivan, his time was up with this team. I will say, while I do have more negative memories of his doing than happy, I will always tip my hat to him for the good things.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Man that bottom pairing is hilarious. I'd pay to watch Scuderi and Gill defend nowadays. :laugh: Those two made Maatta look like McDavid.

It's a different league now a days. Scuderi was a premium defender 2008-2014 (ish). League trends change though.

Lol..."stay at home defenseman".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->