News Article: Rutherford confident Penguins are ready for playoffs

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
What do you think the odds are the Perron resigns here?

I also hated the trade at the time, but if he re-signs i'll be ok with it.

I'd guess the odds are good. I was told by someone who has given me solid info in the past that he just bought a place in the North Hills.

That said, houses go off and on the market all the time.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That's how I see it too. The one thing I liked about the Cali trip was that they basically accepted how the League is now and are trying to win that way. Frankly, it's the only way you can win now.

Madden for a week now has been blasting MJ for "chip and chase." While they're not exactly equipped for that ideally, they're not equipped for possession either. The Pens arguably have only 4 skill guys.

THEY DON'T HAVE AS MUCH SKILL AS THE MEDIA/FANS THINK THEY DO

Once again, they see 87, 71, 58 and trick themselves into believing it extends beyond all of them. It doesn't.

Making matters worse is their back end. In transition, it's basically Letang and Pouliot (who doesn't always play) and to an extent Martin, but as smooth a skater as he is, he doesn't have breakaway speed or the ability when he's trailing to take anything but a cream puff shot.

Until I die, I'll use Chicago as an example. That's who the Pens are either trying to be, but simply aren't equipped for it. ALL their offense comes in transition. Their entire core, even Oduya who was HORRIBLE in Winnipeg fits that mold. It's quick up, quick skating. The Pens simply don't have that.

Basically.

This boring-ass **** isn't wrong because some other strategy works better. That no other strategy works better is what's wrong and it's a league-wide problem.

People talk about a lack of fire with the Penguins. Take a look around. There's not a lot of fire in the league right now. Collapsing zones and passive 1-1-3s or 0 forechecker traps can't be played with passion. They're not passionate schemes. They eliminate individuality in favor of randomness or frustration-based errors.

Linesmen break up fights before they get going. You might see one nice looking goal per month if you're lucky.

This is a borderline unwatchable sport right now. Thirty coaches turning every game into a coinflip.

Penguins boring-ness is a microcosm of a league-wide issue that's bigger than them and beyond their control.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's how I see it too. The one thing I liked about the Cali trip was that they basically accepted how the League is now and are trying to win that way. Frankly, it's the only way you can win now.

Madden for a week now has been blasting MJ for "chip and chase." While they're not exactly equipped for that ideally, they're not equipped for possession either. The Pens arguably have only 4 skill guys.

THEY DON'T HAVE AS MUCH SKILL AS THE MEDIA/FANS THINK THEY DO

Once again, they see 87, 71, 58 and trick themselves into believing it extends beyond all of them. It doesn't.

Making matters worse is their back end. In transition, it's basically Letang and Pouliot (who doesn't always play) and to an extent Martin, but as smooth a skater as he is, he doesn't have breakaway speed or the ability when he's trailing to take anything but a cream puff shot.

Until I die, I'll use Chicago as an example. That's who the Pens are either trying to be, but simply aren't equipped for it. ALL their offense comes in transition. Their entire core, even Oduya who was HORRIBLE in Winnipeg fits that mold. It's quick up, quick skating. The Pens simply don't have that.

I think once other teams started seeing the Pens for a second time, it took Johnston about 15 seconds to figure it out.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Like others mentioned, of course Rutherford is going to say that. I HOPE he doesn't fully believe it, though, or at least will see the light after what I'm expecting to be a short playoffs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
^why don't people like that just follow a different team, like I don't get it, there are 29 other options

Because most of us grew up in Pittsburgh or fell in love with the team at one point. We LOVE the Penguins. That's why we spend hours on here complaining (that and we probably could use another hobby to spend the time) when we disagree with the direction the team is going in. Clearly there comes a point when complaining is over the top, but most of the conversation I read on here are legitimate gripes.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
What do you think the odds are the Perron resigns here?

I also hated the trade at the time, but if he re-signs i'll be ok with it.

Don't know if you caught the episode of in the room last night, but in the Coumbus game in Feb, Jack Johnson said something like you won the lottery to Perron and he said he loves it here. He's close with Letang and will play with Sid or Geno for a long time. I'd think the chances are pretty good.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One day, Jim Rutherford's children are going to use this article as the first submission of evidence in his commitment hearing.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I've only been watching the NHL for 10 years but in that time I've only seen two types of winning teams:

1) Talented, young teams with few cup winners, riding young stars and pure will to win (think Hurricanes, us, first Blackhawks cup).
2) Older, "professional" teams with a lot of cup experience that are flat out superior and outplay their opponent every game (LA and Detroit, Ducks in 07).

We're obviously well past (1), but we also aren't (2).

In 08 and 09 we would come back every game, we would get up for important games and we would quickly forget bad games. We were getting big performances right when we needed them and EVERYONE wanted to win every shift for their teammates. We won as a type 1 team. I don't think we can expect those performances to happen with any version of our current roster.

We need to be a type 2 team that outplays their opponent every game. We need to be the team that has the highest pass percentage, the team that backchecks the hardest, the team that is always in good position, that you could throw a blanket over in the defensive zone and that has the highest breakout success rate.

We're not going to win forechecking and if you aren't forechecking you have to have puck support for the breakouts and you have to play your players that are the best passers. You also have to take the puck to the net and win every race. We have to forget about trying to be the Kings or the 07 Ducks and focus on being a Red Wings-type team.

This years team has about a week to start putting together a cogent system or we won't make it out of the first round. We have to stop stretch passing/tipping in as our major outlet, we have to play like a team and we have to have a consistent structure. This team feels a lot like last years, the only thing that has changed is a couple more top 6 wingers and a couple fewer top 4 defenseman.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Penguins considering making roster changes for postseason

From Mackey

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/8015563-74/penguins-goals-adams#axzz3Uz4nGqB5

Due to dissatisfaction with the recent play of forwards Craig Adams and Beau Bennett, one or more younger players in the Penguins organization could be given an opportunity to produce come playoff time, a team source told Trib Total Media.

Those potentially being given a chance include: Andrew Ebbett, who is with the team because of injuries to Evgeni Malkin and Patric Hornqvist; Kasperi Kapanen; Jayson Megna; Bryan Rust; Oskar Sundqvist; and Scott Wilson.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, those two are what's holding this roster back.

Looking forward to seeing more of young player Andrew Ebbett.

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010

"When the Penguins played the Dallas Stars on Thursday, they used a fourth line that included Adams, Bennett and Maxim Lapierre. Those three have combined for four goals in 122 games and none over their past 26. The fourth line the Stars countered with — Ryan Garbutt, Vernon Fiddler and Colton Sceviour — has 26 goals. The New York Islanders' fourth line of Cal Clutterback, Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas has scored 21 goals"

This is just disturbing. Our secondary scoring sucks.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Rust has been the best of these in the NHL this season (Adams and Bennett included), but Megna's earned himself a second look, in my opinion.

I've never believed in Megna. Fingers crossed he proves me wrong.

Although, on the other hand, this article reads like that weird leak about Jordan Staal.

Edit: Kapanen? They're out of their ****ing minds if his first NHL game is a series game 1 on the fourth line.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Rust has been the best of these in the NHL this season (Adams and Bennett included), but Megna's earned himself a second look, in my opinion.

I've never believed in Megna. Fingers crossed he proves me wrong.

Although, on the other hand, this article reads like that weird leak about Jordan Staal.

Rust can do one thing. Create his own offense but that's about it. He can't work with his linemates. He can't pass. He's a total island.

Megna has to be one of the dumbest smart players that I have ever seen. He can't process the game at NHL speeds.

Ebbett is not a young player, and I wouldn't mind giving Wilson a more extended look, but that should have been done earlier in the season not in the post-season.

This coaching staff and management have done a really poor job with Bennett (and Despres and Dumoulin and Harrington) to date. I am not impressed. At the very least, Bennett should be playing RW over Adams.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Rust can do one thing. Create his own offense but that's about it. He can't work with his linemates. He can't pass. He's a total island.

Megna has to be one of the dumbest smart players that I have ever seen. He can't process the game at NHL speeds.

Ebbett is not a young player, and I wouldn't mind giving Wilson a more extended look, but that should have been done earlier in the season not in the post-season.

This coaching staff and management have done a really poor job with Bennett (and Despres and Dumoulin and Harrington) to date. I am not impressed. At the very least, Bennett should be playing RW over Adams.

They're not talking about playing the guy up in the lineup; they're talking about the fourth line.

Not being able to read Malkin shouldn't really be a variable in whether Rust can do a serviceable short term job on the fourth line of a team that lacks authentic fourth liners. At least he can skate a little, which is more than can be said for the two guys the team's "dissatisfied with."

And while I think you're right about Megna, after being brutal up here, he's dug in and probably merited a chance to prove his last NHL stint was a fluke.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Basically.

This boring-ass **** isn't wrong because some other strategy works better. That no other strategy works better is what's wrong and it's a league-wide problem.

People talk about a lack of fire with the Penguins. Take a look around. There's not a lot of fire in the league right now. Collapsing zones and passive 1-1-3s or 0 forechecker traps can't be played with passion. They're not passionate schemes. They eliminate individuality in favor of randomness or frustration-based errors.

Linesmen break up fights before they get going. You might see one nice looking goal per month if you're lucky.

This is a borderline unwatchable sport right now. Thirty coaches turning every game into a coinflip.

Penguins boring-ness is a microcosm of a league-wide issue that's bigger than them and beyond their control.

This. 10x this.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
"When the Penguins played the Dallas Stars on Thursday, they used a fourth line that included Adams, Bennett and Maxim Lapierre. Those three have combined for four goals in 122 games and none over their past 26. The fourth line the Stars countered with — Ryan Garbutt, Vernon Fiddler and Colton Sceviour — has 26 goals. The New York Islanders' fourth line of Cal Clutterback, Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas has scored 21 goals"

This is just disturbing. Our secondary scoring sucks.

That is what Letang recently inferred but in a more politically correct way.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Basically.

Yep. I just watched about 6 minutes of the Anaheim/Colorado game and during that time there were not only no scoring chances, but not even a shot on goal from either team. I turned it off.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yep. I just watched about 6 minutes of the Anaheim/Colorado game and during that time there were not only no scoring chances, but not even a shot on goal from either team. I turned it off.

after the first 10 minutes of the game, it became the most boring **** ever.

As far as it being "passionless", go read the Ducks forum about Getzlaf and Perry.

If you replaced them with Crosby and Malkin (minus the members of the Church of Malkin, obviously) it reads the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad