News Article: Rutherford confident Penguins are ready for playoffs

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
after the first 10 minutes of the game, it became the most boring **** ever.

As far as it being "passionless", go read the Ducks forum about Getzlaf and Perry.

If you replaced them with Crosby and Malkin (minus the members of the Church of Malkin, obviously) it reads the same.

Haha.....I saw that thread a week ago and thought the same.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"When the Penguins played the Dallas Stars on Thursday, they used a fourth line that included Adams, Bennett and Maxim Lapierre. Those three have combined for four goals in 122 games and none over their past 26. The fourth line the Stars countered with — Ryan Garbutt, Vernon Fiddler and Colton Sceviour — has 26 goals. The New York Islanders' fourth line of Cal Clutterback, Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas has scored 21 goals"

This is just disturbing. Our secondary scoring sucks.

Our primary scoring sucks at the moment, nevermind the secondary scoring.

That's the problem though when you insist on keeping a guy like Craig Adams on the roster, and when your former GM didn't even bother to pay attention to drafting/developing forward prospects who project to being top six players.

Yet again, this team is going to rely entirely on Sid and Geno to carry the offensive load. There is very little in the way of secondary scoring, so any minor slumps (we're even talking 1 or 2 games) for Sid and Geno will once again be catastrophic.

But hey, maybe Kunitz will not suck in the playoffs, and maybe Adams will somehow catch lightning in a bottle and produce like 2009 Max Talbot. We can always hope, right? :help:

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Our primary scoring sucks at the moment, nevermind the secondary scoring.

That's the problem though when you insist on keeping a guy like Craig Adams on the roster, and when your former GM didn't even bother to pay attention to drafting/developing forward prospects who project to being top six players.

Yet again, this team is going to rely entirely on Sid and Geno to carry the offensive load. There is very little in the way of secondary scoring, so any minor slumps (we're even talking 1 or 2 games) for Sid and Geno will once again be catastrophic.

But hey, maybe Kunitz will not suck in the playoffs, and maybe Adams will somehow catch lightning in a bottle and produce like 2009 Max Talbot. We can always hope, right? :help:
Adams won't be playing in the playoffs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Bennett was guilty of an own-goal against Dallas, but the source said that's not the reason management has soured on his play. It's more that he hasn't caught on at the NHL level or played up to his capabilities, the source said.

And Capps source hits the mark again.

Been trying to warn everyone not to get attached to BB. This is what this org does. Notice the smear campaigns being started on Root? Now this leaks?

What does it remind you of?

Patterns here. Patterns there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Been trying to warn everyone not to get attached to BB. This is what this org does. Notice the smear campaigns being started on Root? Now this leaks?

They are just hoping he catches enough fire over the next month to salvage some value

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Anyone who doesn't yet get it that this organization has a severe adversion to player development is delusional.

The entire franchise is run like it's a fixture on the NYSE. ROI is the number one factor for everyone involved except the fans.

The really sad thing is that it probably gets worse from here on out for fans like us.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I do not come on and comment that often anymore, just flybys, because we all pretty much are agreeing with one another.

I am not saying that the Pens can not win in the playoffs, or even win a cup. I am saying that pretty much not a single fan on these boards expects them to. Like buying a lottery tickets, and the odds seem about as long.

Really you can say that a hundred times, a thousand times, and it feels good to come in and yell a bit at the team's and refs' idiocy at times, and I will continue to do so as a cathartic experience. But everything that needs to be said has been said. Many times over.

That is the sad thing. Just like the old boss, where we all saw the issues and things never changed, the new bosses are more of the same.

We all have seen this movie before and know how it ends.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Interesting stuff.
Pens should probably worry about getting in first though. Throw Ebbett back and bring up Megnatron and Wilson. Perhaps the youth can bring some badly needed secondary scoring right now.

Only thing i hate about the Bennett comments is the kid hasn't gone this long being uninjured as a pro yet. Kunitz and Comeau can look like crap in games with the top 6 and no one bats an eye. Move the kid around, maybe, just maybe, he'll play better with more skilled players.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

IC and Deepthroat have to be one of the best Pens rumor sources in hockey. :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting.

I'm going to file this one in the same drawer as the 'there gonna blow it up unless you guys pretend to give a **** for a few games'.

That said, one name on that list intrigues me: Sundqvist.

He had the game to make this team out of camp, and frankly if the coach had been the one before the last one, I suspect he'd have tried to find a way to run off a bum like Adams to make room.

Personally, Sundqvist reminded me a lot of a 18 year old Staal. He had the size and the awareness that you can't teach. I looked at this roster, and I figured if they kept him and actually let him play that he would've been in the top nine before long and may have found himself, like Staal, on Malkin's wing before long.

So, here's my question for people like Jiggy: If he comes over for the playoffs, what is he ready to do? If all went well and they gave him a chance (admittedly the latter is far less likely than the former), then what impact COULD he make?

Tall order . . . I know. But, as I noted in another thread, the last young prospect I know of to debut in the playoffs and make an impact was Chris Kreider in 2012.

I'm sure it's wishful thinking . . . now name a Penguins forward aside from their four legit top six forwards who's decidedly better and who you definitely say would do more than Sundqvist (if given the chance). Kunitz? Comeau? Sutter? Who?

EDIT: To be clear, I think they're bluffing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
IC and Deepthroat have to be one of the best Pens rumor sources in hockey. :D

He actually had a chance to finally give us some good news, and the org blew it.

Get Along Gang fooled 'em.

I'm going to file this one in the same drawer as the 'there gonna blow it up unless you guys pretend to give a **** for a few games'.

That said, one name on that list intrigues me: Sundqvist.

He had the game to make this team out of camp, and frankly if the coach had been the one before the last one, I suspect he'd have tried to find a way to run off a bum like Adams to make room.

Personally, Sundqvist reminded me a lot of a 18 year old Staal. He had the size and the awareness that you can't teach. I looked at this roster, and I figured if they kept him and actually let him play that he would've been in the top nine before long and may have found himself, like Staal, on Malkin's wing before long.

So, here's my question for people like Jiggy: If he comes over for the playoffs, what is he ready to do? If all went well and they gave him a chance (admittedly the latter is far less likely than the former), then what impact COULD he make?

Tall order . . . I know. But, as I noted in another thread, the last young prospect I know of to debut in the playoffs and make an impact was Chris Kreider in 2012.

I'm sure it's wishful thinking . . . now name a Penguins forward aside from their four legit top six forwards who's decidedly better and who you definitely say would do more than Sundqvist (if given the chance). Kunitz? Comeau? Sutter? Who?

EDIT: To be clear, I think they're bluffing.

Sundqvist is a different animal than Staal. Staal was passive whereas Sundqvist has a pretty big edge to him. But there are some similarities in terms of size, skating, puck protection and defensive acumen. Sundqvist can dish the puck better IMHO. He has heavy feet though, like Staal. That's why I can't see him being a top six guy.

I have no clue if he can help now though. He will have played a lot of hockey (for him) by the time he makes it over. It's also the Pens org so I fully expect them to **** him up in some manner.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Interesting stuff.
Pens should probably worry about getting in first though. Throw Ebbett back and bring up Megnatron and Wilson. Perhaps the youth can bring some badly needed secondary scoring right now.

Only thing i hate about the Bennett comments is the kid hasn't gone this long being uninjured as a pro yet. Kunitz and Comeau can look like crap in games with the top 6 and no one bats an eye. Move the kid around, maybe, just maybe, he'll play better with more skilled players.

This is why I'm starting to detest this org.

The underperforming vets skate on by and the org makes excuses and props them up into players they really aren't, while they attack their youth. It's bananas and speaks to why they are so ****ing pathetic at developing youth.

If this team played up in Canada, the org and the vets would be eaten alive.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
This is why I'm starting to detest this org.

The underperforming vets skate on by and the org makes excuses and props them up into players they really aren't, while they attack their youth. It's bananas and speaks to why they are so ****ing pathetic at developing youth.

If this team played up in Canada, the org and the vets would be eaten alive.

Yet an organization like toronto wallows in mediocrity for decades but still sells out and then some?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yet an organization like toronto wallows in mediocrity for decades but still sells out and then some?

I lived right outside of Toronto for over six years. Their media is brutal, but at least they don't insult Leafs fans intelligence like the Pgh media. Guys like Adams, Scuderi, Glass, Kunitz etc would be called out for what they were. The Toronto media is not an extension of the team that whitewashes things like the Pgh media.

The pressure from the media up there finally got the powerful MLSE to blow things up and commit to a full rebuild, which should have happened long ago.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I lived right outside of Toronto for over six years. Their media is brutal, but at least they don't insult Leafs fans intelligence like the Pgh media. Guys like Adams, Scuderi, Glass, Kunitz etc would be called out for what they were. The Toronto media is not an extension of the team that whitewashes things like the Pgh media.

The pressure from the media up there finally got the powerful MLSE to blow things up and commit to a full rebuild, which should have happened long ago.

Oh yeah I lived for a bit by London and the Canadian media obviously takes their teams to task. But that's also because for all intents and purposes hockey is the only game in town. Pittsburgh is simply a football town with a baseball team and a little.cute.diversion called a hockey team at the end of the day. With the steelers making the playoffs again the penguins fell solidly into the number three slot as far as teams go in the city. Hell the pirates spring training will see more coverage in the media than even the penguins playoffs.

If the pirates and steelers stay relevant I could see the penguins hurting financially once crosby and malkim are on the decline.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
if that's their code name, my source is definitely a she, just to be clear.

That went without saying, but, alas, who is it?

No one should trust your inside information if it's all the result of pillow talk.

Interesting point. It does narrow the possibilities.

i always suspected shelly was giving you the real inside scoop before sharing the scraps with us hoi polloi

Perhaps.

Or perhaps a long distance thingy-- not pun intended-- with Helene Elliot?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He actually had a chance to finally give us some good news, and the org blew it.

Get Along Gang fooled 'em.

Sundqvist is a different animal than Staal. Staal was passive whereas Sundqvist has a pretty big edge to him. But there are some similarities in terms of size, skating, puck protection and defensive acumen. Sundqvist can dish the puck better IMHO. He has heavy feet though, like Staal. That's why I can't see him being a top six guy.

I have no clue if he can help now though. He will have played a lot of hockey (for him) by the time he makes it over. It's also the Pens org so I fully expect them to **** him up in some manner.

Thanks Jiggy.

To repeat, I think this is a bluff, and I share your sentiment that they'll **** him up if they're not.

BTW, there's one place I see him, like Staal, being a top six guy: On Malkin's LW.

I've always thought if Staal's ego didn't get the better of him that he have developed a reputation as one of the top power forwards in the game on Malkin's wing. Malkin could slow it down for Staal, and Staal's work on the boards and defensive awareness let Malkin play to his offensive strengths a little more.

We've been saying all year: Malkin needs a linemate like Kunitz circa 2009. I'd prefer Malone circa 2008. I'd be more than happy with Staal the winger with all that youthful enthusiasm circa 2007.

Seems like that's the player you just described, no?

They won't of course have the balls to do it, but it sounds like the player you just described would at worst have as good a claim as anyone to being top six worthy outside of this team's four legit top six forwards.

And, at the very least, he's a top nine forward on this team, no?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Thanks Jiggy.

To repeat, I think this is a bluff, and I share your sentiment that they'll **** him up if they're not.

BTW, there's one place I see him, like Staal, being a top six guy: On Malkin's LW.

I've always thought if Staal's ego didn't get the better of him that he have developed a reputation as one of the top power forwards in the game on Malkin's wing. Malkin could slow it down for Staal, and Staal's work on the boards and defensive awareness let Malkin play to his offensive strengths a little more.

We've been saying all year: Malkin needs a linemate like Kunitz circa 2009. I'd prefer Malone circa 2008. I'd be more than happy with Staal the winger with all that youthful enthusiasm circa 2007.

Seems like that's the player you just described, no?

They won't of course have the balls to do it, but it sounds like the player you just described would at worst have as good a claim as anyone to being top six worthy outside of this team's four legit top six forwards.

And, at the very least, he's a top nine forward on this team, no?

I'm just not getting my hopes up he will even be a third liner with this org. Props you still have a glimmer of hope they can finally develop a forward. I guess it has to happen someday. The odds are pretty low a team goes 6 years without at least developing a fourth liner, right?

Oksanen is a guy I think that is under the radar and they could sign... I hope. He's got the look of a big bodied bottom sixer like Sundqvist if he can keep translating his conversion to fwd at the pro level.

I don't know how far he is from being NHL ready TBTH until he plays some minutes in the A, but the Pens REALLY need to grab a talent like him to fill in their considerable gaps on the farm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad