News Article: Rutherford confident Penguins are ready for playoffs

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I hope that's the case. For the sake of the fans that still care and the city, itself.

But I'm of the opinion that fan interest can dry up pretty damned quickly. People already don't have the entertainment dollars to spend they once did. The league is taking steps backwards. The Penguins are finding new and interesting ways to make laughingstocks out of themselves as every season clicks over to the next.

I think it could change pretty fast.

Interesting. I don't live in Pittsburgh, so maybe that is the case. What I see is just normal for a team that is still contending but has under achieved. You will see some skepticism, but more casual fans that caught on during the Cup year.

I just don't see much of a reason for the Penguins to worry about fan interest until after Sid and Geno are well past their primes.

Of course, if they continue to mortgage the future, that can happen sooner than we originally thought.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
For sure. And Root is one of the most watched NHL broadcasts for a local market. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember reading about that.

The point is, the Penguins popularity is very much still on the rise in Pittsburgh.
Absolutely.

via Forbes
10. Pittsburgh Penguins
Current Value: $565 mil.
Revenue 2013-2014: $141 mil.
Operating Income 2013-2014: $21.9 mil.

The team is preparing to develop a 28-acre site where the Civic Arena stood, across from the $321 million Consol Energy Center that opened in 2010.

8. Pittsburgh Penguins
Current value: $480 mil.
Revenue 2012-13: $107 mil.
Operating income 2012-13: $20.9 mil.
The Penguins have become the best franchise in the NHL under the ownership of Mario Lemieux and star power of center Sidney Crosby.

Year-over-year: value of franchise went up 18%... revenue increased by 32%. They're in growth mode.

Also they're about to be landlord to one of the top corporations in the US. Not bad.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
For sure. And Root is one of the most watched NHL broadcasts for a local market. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember reading about that.

The point is, the Penguins popularity is very much still on the rise in Pittsburgh.

Fundamental problem with this line of thinking:

The pens don't have a great TV deal. They also are most popular in a demographic which doesn't have the extra income to spend on games. And if they do, they aren't going all out.

I think the Penguins popularity will continue to rise, but it will do so because the organization is continuing to push it's product and invest in it... not in spite of a lackadaisical attitude

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Penguins have a much stronger core fanbase than a lot of people like to admit. But there is an element of truth to the whole "bandwagon" thing. And those fans are fickle. And haven't seen any REAL hardship, yet. It's true that the Penguins have made good progress over the years to generate interest, region-wide, in the game. They have Sid Crosby and a new arena. It's tough to see things getting TRULY awful. But I don't think going back to small losses or barely breaking even while scrambling to fill empty seats via discounts/promotions is out of the question, either... especially if a few more dominoes fall.

People only take getting **** on in exchange for their hard-earned dollars for so long. The appeal of coming out to watch Crosby/Malkin play loses a hell of a lot of it's luster when they are getting ridden through all three zones by opposing players, barely play because of injury and end up tied with Zetterberg, or whoever, for 12th in scoring every year. Oh... and play with a 42 year old Kunitz and a half-bionic Pascal Dupuis every night.

They'll never be a disaster financially again, I don't think. But I don't think they have a licence to print money like Toronto, either. Or anything close to it.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
The Penguins have a much stronger core fanbase than a lot of people like to admit. But there is an element of truth to the whole "bandwagon" thing. And those fans are fickle. And haven't seen any REAL hardship, yet. It's true that the Penguins have made good progress over the years to generate interest, region-wide, in the game. They have Sid Crosby and a new arena. It's tough to see things getting TRULY awful. But I don't think going back to small losses or barely breaking even while scrambling to fill empty seats via discounts/promotions is out of the question, either... especially if a few more dominoes fall.

People only take getting **** on in exchange for their hard-earned dollars for so long. The appeal of coming out to watch Crosby/Malkin play loses a hell of a lot of it's luster when they are getting ridden through all three zones by opposing players, barely play because of injury and end up tied with Zetterberg, or whoever, for 12th in scoring every year. Oh... and play with a 42 year old Kunitz and a half-bionic Pascal Dupuis every night.

They'll never be a disaster financially again, I don't think. But I don't think they have a licence to print money like Toronto, either. Or anything close to it.
I dunno - seems like there are a lots of corporate suits in CEC every night for sales / business meetings. That demographic has money (and expense accounts) to burn and probably won't be going away anytime soon.

The folks who attend the games are a very diff demographic than the hardcore fans, as evidenced by the quiet-as-a-church like atmosphere of CEC.

Mellon arena was the hardcore fans and families.. CEC has a very corporate / casual fan vibe to it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Fundamental problem with this line of thinking:

The pens don't have a great TV deal. They also are most popular in a demographic which doesn't have the extra income to spend on games. And if they do, they aren't going all out.

I think the Penguins popularity will continue to rise, but it will do so because the organization is continuing to push it's product and invest in it... not in spite of a lackadaisical attitude

Uh but the demographic that they are popular with WILL have extra income to spend. So, as I said, they are in growth mode.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's a good point. I'm sure the team relies heavily on corporations buying up seats.

I don't have the numbers or want to go looking for them. Maybe corporate money is enough to sustain them, alone in the event of a fan exodus. But I doubt it. It also seems like something that would drop off significantly if the team slipped another peg or two. Maybe I'm wrong.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
That's a good point. I'm sure the team relies heavily on corporations buying up seats.

I don't have the numbers or want to go looking for them. Maybe corporate money is enough to sustain them, alone in the event of a fan exodus. But I doubt it. It also seems like something that would drop off significantly if the team slipped another peg or two. Maybe I'm wrong.

Probably true - I think if the team hovered around 0.500 for a significant period of time... or was in danger of the missing the playoffs, **** would begin to hit the fan.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Uh but the demographic that they are popular with WILL have extra income to spend. So, as I said, they are in growth mode.

it's true. I guess we got a bit off topic... sorry probably contributed to that.

Anyway, do people really think the org isn't doing everythign they can to win?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
You aren't wrong. But this organization is family friendly. They aren't in the business of tough love. Just get used to it.
Yeah, just wishful thinking.

Yeah ours and everybody elses.
Obviously everyone does, but we'll need to rely on it much more than any team considered a contender.

I think there's been so much upheaval to the line up, that regardless of if they're better on paper or not, there's very little to suggest the chemistry or cohesion is there to make a long and sustained playoff run. It doesn't even feel like the Pens anymore. What is their identity? I doubt that even know.
Exactly. And I've noticed some of their details improve but they still aren't where they need to be.

According to Frasier, our identity is whining to the refs. :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

This is a fair and balanced response. I never meant to insinuate they would ever be anything like Toronto, or even Philly. They are still a mid to small market team. Once Sid and Geno are gone, they will have to operate accordingly to remain profitable.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
it's true. I guess we got a bit off topic... sorry probably contributed to that.

Anyway, do people really think the org isn't doing everythign they can to win?

they are "trying" i believe.

the organization lives in a bubble, and they think their way of operating will result in success. but they are incompetent, and refuse to see the folly of their ways.

they are blissfully ignorant.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Mar 17, 2015
A sphincter says wat
As long as 87, 71, 58 and 29 are healthy and playing at 100% we can win the cup.

Of course, we can lose in the first round too, but that's why we play the game and don't decide on the internet who the champ is. Except for Vince McMahon. He decides on the internet.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

the organization lives in a bubble, and they think their way of operating will result in success. but they are incompetent, and refuse to see the folly of their ways.

I can't disagree.

I said a few times last season that I thought they had created an echo chamber and there were no ideas that challenged their perspective. When they went the GM by committee route, I figured that would bring some fresh perspective to the mix. It hasn't really played out that way. Some things have changed but others, like #experience and all in, seem to have been reinforced.

Just want to add, sorry if it seems I've been overly negative lately. I think people are starting to realize that Sid and Geno's clocks are ticking. We are incredibly lucky to have 2 players of this caliber, it would be a crime to see their remaining years wasted with incompetence and shortsightedness. I think this is the cause of the growing angst among fans here.

Last edited:

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA

There's a lot in here to agree with. 87 and 71 have given the organization the false sense of security that "their way" is the correct way.

How decision-makers aren't one nightcap away from a drunken epiphany is beyond me - that without an outrageous amount of luck to land both superstars, their operation is basically a sham.

But hey, they probably sleep easy knowing they'd Scuderi and Adams their way into a hard-working cup.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I read this article and when he got to the part about how the D is now more "balanced" I pretty much stopped right there. I can agree that the addition of Cole helped, but I don't see in any way, shape, or form how Lovejoy brings greater "balance" to our blue line.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I read this article and when he got to the part about how the D is now more "balanced" I pretty much stopped right there. I can agree that the addition of Cole helped, but I don't see in any way, shape, or form how Lovejoy brings greater "balance" to our blue line.

lovejoy is probably the most "balanced" defender to suit up this year for the pens not named Paul Martin

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I don't like the makeup of the D, but you know what, the same could be said for 2009 as well.

Well, we could argue that our forward depth was weaker in 09 as well. However a lot boils down to a) who we end up facing in the post-season and how we match up against them and b) the way the guy behind the bench has the team playing.

In 09, like or not, we got the best possible matchups going into the finals against the Wings. On top of that the team was still playing the same game that they were playing under Therrien, except with a bit more jump in their step.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Well, we could argue that our forward depth was weaker in 09 as well. However a lot boils down to a) who we end up facing in the post-season and how we match up against them and b) the way the guy behind the bench has the team playing.

In 09, like or not, we got the best possible matchups going into the finals against the Wings. On top of that the team was still playing the same game that they were playing under Therrien, except with a bit more jump in their step.

In 09 we also had a way better attitude. We were playing the same way every game, getting on guys and doing things like coming back in every game and shutting down teams once we got a good lead. Down the stretch, we were the better team in practically every game and throughout the playoffs we were too apart from a handful of brain fart games. We also had a team where everyone really wanted to win every shift and every game, we were proud of our defense and we were gelled together. We stuck up for each other, we initiated and we didn't get down on ourselves no matter what.

Roster wise, we weren't as good, but everything else was way better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad