News: Russo: Guerin looking to make significant moves

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I can think of like 5 players with contracts as bad as Parise's who may trade that guy for Parise. Not exactly a thriving market, especially considering Parise would probably block trades to a lot of the teams I'm thinking of.
He probably would, and even if he wouldn't it's probably not worth exposing ourselves to the recapture scenarios.

The real problem with Parise isn't even the cap; the Wild can manage that. The problem is that he seems to get a real chip on his shoulder when his role is reduced, which is going to have to happen as the next few years roll on. I don't think it's a reason to make a bad trade, but it's going to be a pain in the butt for a few years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He probably would, and even if he wouldn't it's probably not worth exposing ourselves to the recapture scenarios.

The real problem with Parise isn't even the cap; the Wild can manage that. The problem is that he seems to get a real chip on his shoulder when his role is reduced, which is going to have to happen as the next few years roll on. I don't think it's a reason to make a bad trade, but it's going to be a pain in the butt for a few years.

I think Guerin is probably willing to play hardball with a guy who’s going to act like a baby for being bumped down to the second line. I really think character is a big deal for him. Like real character, not the kind of character we’ve had.

And I said it before, but I’m willing to call the NHL’s bluff on a 19M recap penalty.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get that you're probably looking at 3 or 4 years from now, but Parise isn't Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson or Okposo yet.

I think Parise is still a good player right now, but the amount of term he has left plus the decline he has already shown makes him essentially a ticking time bomb. I thought the same thing of Kessel last year, and that bomb may have gone off already in Arizona's hands. Parise is a dramatically better player than guys like Eriksson and Ladd right now, but those guys will at least be off the books or LTIRetired within 2 or 3 years. Parise has 5 years left and he's 35. It's just a risk that I can't see why any team would take on.

I feel the same way about Parise as I do with Skinner and Bobrovsky. Good player, but just way too many years left for there to be any market on him even with money retained. I do think Parise for Turris may be an idea worth talking about, though. Turris is another guy that has a bunch of years left, so that idea may have some legs to it.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Guerin is like the woman from the Major League movies. She keeps trying to screw the team and get them to lose, and the boys in the dressing room just keep winning. Wild are playing good hockey. Even without Zucker... even without Boudreau... they could be like 3 points out of a wild card with 2 games in hand or something if they beat the Oil tonight (too lazy to check someone fact check me) but lets sell everything that's not nailed down boys.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Who the hell would trade for Parise with the contract he has? Retaining money isn't going to help anything, the problem is that he's at an age where players start falling off and he has a shitload of years left on his deal. Parise may not be overpaid right now if the Wild retain some money, but he's going to be overpaid even at 50% in a couple of years.

It's why moving long and cheaper contracts is harder than expensive but short contracts. You can retain money, you can't retain years. Parise is old enough and signed for long enough that no one should want him even at 50%.

As long as Parise can still get to the front of the net, he is going to put Pucks in that net. He's been the "worst contract in the league" by HF standards for 5 years despite always scoring at roughly a 25+ goal pace.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think it is more likely that Koivu will retire on the spot, if he is traded. But then again, with his divorce going on right now, he might entertain a fresh city.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wonder if Guerin is squinting now at some center prospect as a piece for Dumba. :)
Doubtful, but I guess we'll see. The Wild need a center and don't have a pressing need to move either defensemen, especially the one with 3 years of term left. Even if Guerin really wants to make a move it can always wait until the right one is available.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
What center prospect
In another thread I me and Bazeek were talking about Jost and Gaudette as a piece in a Dumba trade as people were saying that the Wild were looking for a Top 6 center. But in reality they are looking for a current 2c with a probable 1c potential.
I agree Guerin can and should wait on Dumba for a center with 1c potential.
With Vegas looking at Barrie I wonder if they would move Cody Glass? We seen what they paid for Tatar. I bet Glass would make things interesting.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Dumba to the Canucks has been beaten to death. We don't have the piece available that Minnesota needs.

However, what would the cost on Staal and or Foligno be? I'm guessing Staal has the higher relative value to the Wild, but I'd love to see either one of them in our blue and green.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad