Russians in the NHL 2018/19

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Thanks.

I might as well now make my "reactionary" rant list :)

That means then none of those KHL defencemen made the rosters except for Ozhiganov which is odd to me a bit. Maybe Toronto's D is really weak on that bottom end too. Kiselevich technically, but he is injured and this injury might ruin his chances. If the roster is set by the time he returns he might find himself in the odd man out situation.

But those are not my biggest worries. Where are those great prospects: Abramov, Gurianov and a ton of others who were supposed to be good?

Especially Abramov's development went out of the window in NA.

Zykov might be lucky he ended up in Carolina. He has a realistic chance to stick there. Othewise I see a lot of guys again who will continue to rot in the minors(instead of playing in the KHL).

On our side of the oceans as expected Yakupov looks all different in the KHL. He of course has lost a lot along the way. He can thank his father, Mr.Larionov and himself for that. But otherwise he is not chased by bees nor bears, he is a servicable scoring winger and no liabilty defensively. He is a prime example of how ruined confidence, playing on the bottom 6 and being stamped a bust can ruin everything about a player's game.
Lyubushkin made Arizona
Ozhiganov Toronto
Kiselevich Florida
Nichushkin Dallas (although he is a forward)

Guryanov is overrated, he was looking it before he had left Russia following Kitsyn's trajectory
So is Svechnikov Sr, I was hoping he would still make Detroit, due to their weakest roster in years, but no

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lyubushkin made Arizona
Ozhiganov Toronto
Kiselevich Florida
Nichushkin Dallas (although he is a forward)

Guryanov is overrated, he was looking it before he had left Russia following Kitsyn's trajectory
So is Svechnikov Sr, I was hoping he would still make Detroit, due to their weakest roster in years, but no
Okay, Lyubushkin, but with Chuchryn down they have like OEL and a half defenncemen. Maybe he sticks...

As I pointed out Kiselevich is in the worst place. He might get dumped=sent down once he's healthy.

Nichushkin is not a first timer. I know everything I need to know about him and Dallas will regret how they handled his development from day one.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I just knew I was forgeting about someone in my table and yes - forgot about Lyubushkin.

Btw, E.Svechnikov, Kamenev and Kiselevich are on the roster, but are injured, so it might be that some of them will be sent down when they're healthy. Soshnikov is injured too, but for obvious reasons there is less risk of sending down.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I just knew I was forgeting about someone in my table and yes - forgot about Lyubushkin.

Btw, E.Svechnikov, Kamenev and Kiselevich are on the roster, but are injured, so it might be that some of them will be sent down when they're healthy. Soshnikov is injured too, but for obvious reasons there is less risk of sending down.
The reality check: Lyubushkin not on the ice yesterday.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Svechnikov is the top on the future. First of Putin generation.
How's Putin here again?

Svechnikov is an another winger. A RW to make things worse. Can we freeze them in some stasis chamber to open it when we actually need RWs?

His usage though is stupid. He should get better linemates.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Ozhiganov looks decent, watched Toronto - LAK yesterday, he played near 20 minutes, kept things on the safe, making sure his shots are not blocked and he is not exposed. I think when he gets a bit more confident and can start using his slapper as well, he will be a serviceable NHL d-man.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
What would top Russian NT look like as it stands right now?

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Tarasenko
Kucherov-Malkin-Kovalchuk
Radulov-Datsyuk-Gusev
Panarin-Anisimov-Dadonov

Orlov-Zaitsev
Provorov-Voynov
Sergachev-Chudinov
Kiselevich-Gavrikov

Vasilevskiy
Bobrovsky
Varlamov

The most undecided spot for forwards is 4th line C imo. Anisimov has experience on PK which gives him some value, but Schipachyov, Grigorenko, Namestnikov and even Andronov could be contenders. Who knows, maybe Vorobyev and Kamenev might be mentioned later this year.

D is a bit of mess. Voynov is at home, so he wouldn’t even be called up right now, but he is certainly one of Russia’s best. I’ve always been a fan of Chudinov, I think SKA was wasting his talents. He is finally getting a chance to show his skill. He blocks shots, hits, can play on PP, can play on PK and can move the puck. He can certainly bring value to this team. Nesterov and Kulikov could both be considered also, but neither would bring something that this team lacks imo.

Goalies are pretty straight forward, although we can argue about the order.

This country needs to develop more quality Centers and Ds.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What would top Russian NT look like as it stands right now?

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Tarasenko
Kucherov-Malkin-Kovalchuk
Radulov-Datsyuk-Gusev
Panarin-Anisimov-Dadonov

Orlov-Zaitsev
Provorov-Voynov
Sergachev-Chudinov
Kiselevich-Gavrikov

Vasilevskiy
Bobrovsky
Varlamov

The most undecided spot for forwards is 4th line C imo. Anisimov has experience on PK which gives him some value, but Schipachyov, Grigorenko, Namestnikov and even Andronov could be contenders. Who knows, maybe Vorobyev and Kamenev might be mentioned later this year.

D is a bit of mess. Voynov is at home, so he wouldn’t even be called up right now, but he is certainly one of Russia’s best. I’ve always been a fan of Chudinov, I think SKA was wasting his talents. He is finally getting a chance to show his skill. He blocks shots, hits, can play on PP, can play on PK and can move the puck. He can certainly bring value to this team. Nesterov and Kulikov could both be considered also, but neither would bring something that this team lacks imo.

Goalies are pretty straight forward, although we can argue about the order.

This country needs to develop more quality Centers and Ds.
Dunno why you put Kovy, Kuch, Radu and Gusev on their off wings.

Otherwise here is my take:

OV - Kuz - Taras is silly. Two snipers on one line, even with such a tremendous playmaker Kuz is right here and now, is silly.

Club chemistry and all, but I'd try

Panarin - Kuz - Taras instead. Puck posession+sniper.

OV - Dats - Kuch same as above

Gusev - Malkin - Kaprizov

Kovalchuk - Anisimov - Radulov

HM: Dadonov, Shipachyov, Buchnevich, Namestnikov

Provorov - Sergachyov
Orlov - Zaytsev
Zadorov - Voynov

Kiselevich, Gavrikov, Ozhiganov, Kulikov

Varlamov
Vasilevskiy
Bob

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kiselevich and Ozhiganov holding their ground. Otherwise a lot of demotins already.

Kuznetsov is on another level. Love it.

OV is OV. Malkin is Malkin. Kucherov is Kucherov given the mess Tampa is a bit now. Panarin is Panarin.

Kovalchuk looks surprisingly good among a shipwreck of a team. They look like they were cast ashore and try to survive until help arrives.

Another injury will slow down a hot start by Radu... The team is garbage again.

Don't even ask me about St.Louis.

Buchnevich probably cursed to be a coach's skapegoat on a bad(but this time seriously rebuilding)
team. I think he is doing much better than the coach is giving him credit.

Provorov seemingly stopped slipping. Last two games were much more like his usual self.

Zadorov will never learn offence. Pity, he could be a good one, but I'll take his toughness as it is.

Sergachyov is quite a prize. He will only go faster, higher, stronger ;)

Orlov is Orlov. Never tought he is a top pairing guy, as suggested by some.

Zaytsev is underrated in Toronto. He does so many things that go unnoticed. Ozhiganov actually looks like a carbon copy of Zaytsev a bit, just less comfortable and experienced. That's a good thing for now.

As for our glorious bolters, they are where they belong. People who think the Goldobins, Zykovs or Abramovs will ever become top 6 NHLers somehow are delusional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Goldobin long shot, yeah, but he has chemistry with Petersson, and this chemistry could carry him, as long as Petersson is his line mate. Just look at Namestnikov now and when he played with Kuch and Stamkos.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Goldobin long shot, yeah, but he has chemistry with Petersson, and this chemistry could carry him, as long as Petersson is his line mate. Just look at Namestnikov now and when he played with Kuch and Stamkos.
Not to be harsh on them, but we do not need Namestnikovs on the NT. If that's the ceiling, so be it, but I don't see an asset there.

Sadly among forwards only Svechnikov so far is a sure shot future NT player, but that was expected. Maybe Vorobiev going forward and he is a center.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Well, overall level of our players produced is dropping, especially the average. So yes, Namestnikov today is a fringe NT player. But that's not what I mean - what I said is that an average player can see his career and paycheck take off due to chemistry with stars and used Namestnikov as an example - where he looked really good with great line mates and looks pretty bad now with average mates.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Yakovlev got called up, he better use this chance to stick.

Where is Voinov? I thought he was talking to some NHL teams and then he fell off the planet. Is he hurt?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yakovlev got called up, he better use this chance to stick.

Where is Voinov? I thought he was talking to some NHL teams and then he fell off the planet. Is he hurt?
Voynov is surrounded by a dark cloud.

He's had an injury that must be healed by now, but was probably a concern for suitors. And the NHL hasn't cleared him as much as I know.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
What would all-KHL Team Russia look like right now?

Gusev-Datsyuk-Barabanov
Kaprizov-Grigorenko-Mikheyev
Golyshev-Shipachyov-Plotnikov
Telegin-Andronov-Burdasov

Chudinov-Gavrikov
Antipin-Yemelin
Nesterov-Khafizullin
Zub-Marchenko

Shestyorkin
Sorokin
Koshechkin

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Anybody would have chemistry with Pettersson. It's Goldobin's lucky moment. He has to squeeze as much as possible out of it. That's no knock on him btw. It is what it is. Everybody would jump on the opportunity to play with a guy like Pettersson and would be well advised to do so. A Namestnikov like contract is not out of reach then too.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Midseason thoughts:

With Tarasenko and Provorov picking it up lately our two problem kids are out of the slump... a bit. While I am not worried about Provorov who is just learning still, Tarasenko post injury is still a big question mark. If he can't finish the season strong the question marks will get bigger and bigger(while the org is a mess).

We can't complain much looking at the Art Ross and the Richard race, right? My current favorite NHLer leads the league in points. Ovechkin is Ovechkin.

Sergachyov is picking it up. I am pleased with his development. We have a top pairing NT defenceman coming up.(We'd have such a great pairing of 98 guys, but I am worried now after a third injury in a row for Dronov:().

With the new generation of defencemen coming up I set my sight on them and forget about the aging guys who never were an adequate group for us.

Zaytsev gets underappreciated by Toronto fans while he does a ton of defensive work for them. I see Babcock burrying his offensive game forever, but he looks like a guy who can play in all situations by now and should be a real solid 2nd pairing guy for Team Russia. Ozhiganov is doing good too which is nice to see.

Zadorov with his usual attitude issues and hit first mentality... he could have become a great OD with his shot, but he just loves to hurt people too much. Still I see him as a valuable asset for the NT.

Orlov is being Orlov. Overrated by some.

Kiselevich looks good. Lyubushkin and Yakovlev are question marks still.

So far I see the D(NHL only due to the thread) as follows:

Sergachyov - Provorov (as expected)
Zaytsev - Orlov (same)
Zadorov - Ozhiganov/Kiselevich

As for established forwards all is well. Everybody is clicking more or less. I don't care much about the Kovalchuk situation as probably Kovalchuk himself too. Team and coach are a mess. That was his choice. He is a pro. He just does his job. Let's see if some team is bold enough to trade for him before the deadline. I am worried a bit about Buchnevich. I don't think the Rangers are a well coached team, but the whole rebuild thing will be work in progress for a long time. Hopefully Buch will find his stride.

No big surprises otherwise too. Nichushkin is a black hole on the offence and Stars fans start to realize what I was telling them before the season. The guys that wasted their careers in the AHL wasted their careers in the AHL. Goldobin is only good with Pettersson, but who isn't? Barbashev, Kamenev, Zykov, Scherbak, Soshnikov, Mamin - all wasted assets. Vitaliy Abramov who?

Gurianov gets some praise from the fans, but no real opportunity on a severly offensively undermanned roster:shakehead

Svechnikov does show some promise but falls further and further behind rightful expectations that we had when he played in Russia. I am more confident than ever btw that Brind'Amour is not a NHL head coach. Oh and btw how's the older Svechnikov doing? Is he an AHL superstar yet?:shakehead

Goalies look good as always. We have the arguably two best backups in the league and the whole fuzz around Bob is nothing. He is probably not a Bluejacket next season and that's it, but what do I care? The big three is still doing good. I am not worried.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozo

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
It is not easy to break out at best league. Think players from Russia have hard times, because of very different life style at US, Canada and not sure if they have decent english too. Isn´t lack of KHL experiences for young players one of reasons to try Canadian junior leagues or US ones?

Cskavars

May 25, 2018
Midseason thoughts:

With Tarasenko and Provorov picking it up lately our two problem kids are out of the slump... a bit. While I am not worried about Provorov who is just learning still, Tarasenko post injury is still a big question mark. If he can't finish the season strong the question marks will get bigger and bigger(while the org is a mess).

We can't complain much looking at the Art Ross and the Richard race, right? My current favorite NHLer leads the league in points. Ovechkin is Ovechkin.

Sergachyov is picking it up. I am pleased with his development. We have a top pairing NT defenceman coming up.(We'd have such a great pairing of 98 guys, but I am worried now after a third injury in a row for Dronov:().

With the new generation of defencemen coming up I set my sight on them and forget about the aging guys who never were an adequate group for us.

Zaytsev gets underappreciated by Toronto fans while he does a ton of defensive work for them. I see Babcock burrying his offensive game forever, but he looks like a guy who can play in all situations by now and should be a real solid 2nd pairing guy for Team Russia. Ozhiganov is doing good too which is nice to see.

Zadorov with his usual attitude issues and hit first mentality... he could have become a great OD with his shot, but he just loves to hurt people too much. Still I see him as a valuable asset for the NT.

Orlov is being Orlov. Overrated by some.

Kiselevich looks good. Lyubushkin and Yakovlev are question marks still.

So far I see the D(NHL only due to the thread) as follows:

Sergachyov - Provorov (as expected)
Zaytsev - Orlov (same)
Zadorov - Ozhiganov/Kiselevich

As for established forwards all is well. Everybody is clicking more or less. I don't care much about the Kovalchuk situation as probably Kovalchuk himself too. Team and coach are a mess. That was his choice. He is a pro. He just does his job. Let's see if some team is bold enough to trade for him before the deadline. I am worried a bit about Buchnevich. I don't think the Rangers are a well coached team, but the whole rebuild thing will be work in progress for a long time. Hopefully Buch will find his stride.

No big surprises otherwise too. Nichushkin is a black hole on the offence and Stars fans start to realize what I was telling them before the season. The guys that wasted their careers in the AHL wasted their careers in the AHL. Goldobin is only good with Pettersson, but who isn't? Barbashev, Kamenev, Zykov, Scherbak, Soshnikov, Mamin - all wasted assets. Vitaliy Abramov who?

Gurianov gets some praise from the fans, but no real opportunity on a severly offensively undermanned roster:shakehead

Svechnikov does show some promise but falls further and further behind rightful expectations that we had when he played in Russia. I am more confident than ever btw that Brind'Amour is not a NHL head coach. Oh and btw how the older Svechnikov doing? Is he an AHL superstar yet?:shakehead

Goalies look good as always. We have the arguably two best backups in the league and the whole fuzz around Bob is nothing. He is probably not a Bluejacket next season and that's it, but what do I care? The big three is still doing good. I am not worried.
i do agree with all of this mostly , other then maybe barbashev, hes not scoring like id hope he would when drafted but as a blues fan i will say hes become a valuable NHLer and could become a very good 3/4 C

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
i do agree with all of this mostly , other then maybe barbashev, hes not scoring like id hope he would when drafted but as a blues fan i will say hes become a valuable NHLer and could become a very good 3/4 C
The Blues are hard to evaluate this season, true. If he works out for the Blues - fine. He is though sadly then still no russian NT asset. This is also no knock on the Blues. Those inexplicably bad years happen to every team every once in a while.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It is not easy to break out at best league. Think players from Russia have hard times, because of very different life style at US, Canada and not sure if they have decent english too. Isn´t lack of KHL experiences for young players one of reasons to try Canadian junior leagues or US ones?
They unlike some Europeans have a variety of viable options at home: VHL, MHL. Both better for development of Russians than the CHL, especially with the AHL 20y.o. rule. Obviously minutes in the 2nd best league are tougher to earn than elsewhere. Young Russians use it as an excuse for not wanting to earn things. If I were a NHL scout I would question their attitude if tgey don't want to earn KHL TOI first.

There are of course single cases, like players in the C/SKA systems who would have a much tougher competition, but in general it's a stupid wish to get drafted higher due to exposure in tge CHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
They unlike some Europeans have a variety of viable options at home: VHL, MHL. Both better for development of Russians than the CHL, especially with the AHL 20y.o. rule. Obviously minutes in the 2nd best league are tougher to earn than elsewhere. Young Russians use it as an excuse for not wanting to earn things. If I were a NHL scout I would question their attitude if tgey don't want to earn KHL TOI first.

There are of course single cases, like players in the C/SKA systems who would have a much tougher competition, but in general it's a stupid wish to get drafted higher due to exposure in tge CHL.

Podkolzin will be stuck in limbo in a strong SKA system, what do you suggest he do then another year in the MHL/VHL then limited role in the KHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad