Russians in the NHL 2018/19

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Just looking at the upcoming season which is kind of inbetween things. Talks about lockout just starting. No Olympics, no "World" Cup, the WCH starting late though.

The usual movement of players continues. Some move to NA, some move back.

Let's watch them who is starting out in the NHL, or continuing on, or comes back, or is fighting hangover ;)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Kovalchuk and Radulov. The old guard preparing to show they still got it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

The young guard looks ready. Kucherov's arms make me wonder if he can work his magic with those monsters.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Both Kucherov and Panarin could talk to a lot of our young guys about physical condition.

I remember that both of these guys had the same issue about them as prospects, they were both small guys who weren’t physically ready.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Both Kucherov and Panarin could talk to a lot of our young guys about physical condition.

I remember that both of these guys had the same issue about them as prospects, they were both small guys who weren’t physically ready.
Hey, Panarin's not small :) Look at him standing right next to Vasilevskiy, who is really, really tall. There is not much between them.

Okay, I know, Panarin is still not the tallest, but from standing next to both of them I know how towering Vasilevsky is:)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It’ll be interesting to see how these newcomers will fare, especially the defensemen Kiselevich, Yakovlev and Ozhiganov.

I think all 3 have the talent for NHL, but it’s not that simple imo. A big portion of success depends on situations. The amount and the type of minutes they will get on the ice will have a big effect imo. Plus, it’s more difficult to adjust to the brand new game at the age that these guys are already.

We have already seen from Antipin case that situation is a big factor. On the surface that looks like a failure, but I honestly don’t think that it was.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It’ll be interesting to see how these newcomers will fare, especially the defensemen Kiselevich, Yakovlev and Ozhiganov.

I think all 3 have the talent for NHL, but it’s not that simple imo. A big portion of success depends on situations. The amount and the type of minutes they will get on the ice will have a big effect imo. Plus, it’s more difficult to adjust to the brand new game at the age that these guys are already.

We have already seen from Antipin case that situation is a big factor. On the surface that looks like a failure, but I honestly don’t think that it was.
I have no high hopes for those three to be honest. I'd be surprised if any of them becomes a regular for a lengthy period of time.

Reactions: Khomutov

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
For me it's interesting how Svechnikov will start his career. Also excited about the comeback of Kovalchuk in the NHL.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
For me it's interesting how Svechnikov will start his career. Also excited about the comeback of Kovalchuk in the NHL.

Expectations have to be tempered. He is just 18 and will need time to get used to the speed and physicality of the NHL.

Those who assume immediate stardom will probably be disappointed.

Reactions: Khomutov

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Expectations have to be tempered. He is just 18 and will need time to get used to the speed and physicality of the NHL.

Those who assume immediate stardom will probably be disappointed.
Low profile market, rebuilding team. On paper it's a perfect environment. Nobody expects him to break all the records in his rookie season. The only concern is the lack of high-end vets as mentors and linemates.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Low profile market, rebuilding team. On paper it's a perfect environment. Nobody expects him to break all the records in his rookie season. The only concern is the lack of high-end vets as mentors and linemates.

Brindy will show him the ropes.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I think Ozhiganov and Kiselevich could be a decent 4-6 d-man. Yakovlev - I am not sure about, I haven't seen him all that much or paid any attention

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think Ozhiganov and Kiselevich could be a decent 4-6 d-man. Yakovlev - I am not sure about, I haven't seen him all that much or paid any attention
People project them to start the season in the NHL, but especially with defencemen those could be rather short stints. A couple of bad games easily send a newbie D-man to the AHL.

I am more interested in how Zaytsev fares. In my opinion he's got too much flak from some Toronto fans last season that was injury marred. In my book he has the tools to be a good top 4 D-man at the least.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
While Rubtsov is headed for the minors...

Only spot on the big club available for him would be 4C. He had a pretty good pre-season and there are encouraging signs of progress, but I dont think he's quite ready to be a full time NHL player.

Perhaps he's called up when injuries occur, but I think he has a decent shot at making the team out of camp next season.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Anybody care to make a full list of players for each team for the openinig night?

Last I heard Volkov is cut and Vorobiev made the roster.

What about Zykov and Goldobin?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
:thumbu: I hope it's accurate. I wasn't really sure about guys like Soshnikov or Ozhiganov.
it's accurate, but it's lagging, so by no means it's a guarantee. St Lois did waive Yashkin (whom I still consider a pretty serviceable player), may mean Soshnikov is sticking around?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Anybody care to make a full list of players for each team for the openinig night?

Last I heard Volkov is cut and Vorobiev made the roster.

What about Zykov and Goldobin?

If I didn't forget anyone:

Edit: forgot about Lyubushkin.

Ilya Lyubushkin Arizona Coyotes
Andrei SvechnikovCarolina Hurricanes
Valentin ZykovCarolina Hurricanes
Artyom AnisimovChicago Blackhawks
Vladislav KamenevColorado Avalanche
Semyon VarlamovColorado Avalanche
Nikita ZadorovColorado Avalanche
Artemi PanarinColumbus Blue Jackets
Sergei BobrovskyColumbus Blue Jackets
Anton KhudobinDallas Stars
Valeri NichushkinDallas Stars
Alexander RadulovDallas Stars
Yevgeni SvechnikovDetroit Red Wings
Yevgeni DadonovFlorida Panthers
Bogdan KiselevichFlorida Panthers
Maxim MaminFlorida Panthers
Ilya KovalchukLos Angeles Kings
Nikita ScherbakMontreal Canadiens
Pavel BuchnevichNew York Rangers
Alexander GeorgievNew York Rangers
Vladislav NamestnikovNew York Rangers
Ivan ProvorovPhiladelphia Flyers
Mikhail VorobyovPhiladelphia Flyers
Yevgeni MalkinPittsburgh Penguins
Ivan BarbashyovSt. Louis Blues
Nikita SoshnikovSt. Louis Blues
Vladimir TarasenkoSt. Louis Blues
Nikita KucherovTampa Bay Lightning
Mikhail SergachyovTampa Bay Lightning
Andrei VasilevskiyTampa Bay Lightning
Igor OzhiganovToronto Maple Leafs
Nikita ZaitsevToronto Maple Leafs
Nikolay GoldobinVancouver Canucks
Yevgeni KuznetsovWashington Capitals
Dmitri OrlovWashington Capitals
Alexander OvechkinWashington Capitals
Dmitri KulikovWinnipeg Jets
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas2000

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If I didn't forget anyone:

Andrei SvechnikovCarolina Hurricanes
Valentin ZykovCarolina Hurricanes
Artyom AnisimovChicago Blackhawks
Vladislav KamenevColorado Avalanche
Semyon VarlamovColorado Avalanche
Nikita ZadorovColorado Avalanche
Artemi PanarinColumbus Blue Jackets
Sergei BobrovskyColumbus Blue Jackets
Anton KhudobinDallas Stars
Valeri NichushkinDallas Stars
Alexander RadulovDallas Stars
Yevgeni SvechnikovDetroit Red Wings
Yevgeni DadonovFlorida Panthers
Bogdan KiselevichFlorida Panthers
Maxim MaminFlorida Panthers
Ilya KovalchukLos Angeles Kings
Nikita ScherbakMontreal Canadiens
Pavel BuchnevichNew York Rangers
Alexander GeorgievNew York Rangers
Vladislav NamestnikovNew York Rangers
Ivan ProvorovPhiladelphia Flyers
Mikhail VorobyovPhiladelphia Flyers
Yevgeni MalkinPittsburgh Penguins
Ivan BarbashyovSt. Louis Blues
Nikita SoshnikovSt. Louis Blues
Vladimir TarasenkoSt. Louis Blues
Nikita KucherovTampa Bay Lightning
Mikhail SergachyovTampa Bay Lightning
Andrei VasilevskiyTampa Bay Lightning
Igor OzhiganovToronto Maple Leafs
Nikita ZaitsevToronto Maple Leafs
Nikolay GoldobinVancouver Canucks
Yevgeni KuznetsovWashington Capitals
Dmitri OrlovWashington Capitals
Alexander OvechkinWashington Capitals
Dmitri KulikovWinnipeg Jets
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Thanks.

I might as well now make my "reactionary" rant list :)

That means then none of those KHL defencemen made the rosters except for Ozhiganov which is odd to me a bit. Maybe Toronto's D is really weak on that bottom end too. Kiselevich technically, but he is injured and this injury might ruin his chances. If the roster is set by the time he returns he might find himself in the odd man out situation.

But those are not my biggest worries. Where are those great prospects: Abramov, Gurianov and a ton of others who were supposed to be good?

Especially Abramov's development went out of the window in NA.

Zykov might be lucky he ended up in Carolina. He has a realistic chance to stick there. Othewise I see a lot of guys again who will continue to rot in the minors(instead of playing in the KHL).

On our side of the oceans as expected Yakupov looks all different in the KHL. He of course has lost a lot along the way. He can thank his father, Mr.Larionov and himself for that. But otherwise he is not chased by bees nor bears, he is a servicable scoring winger and no liabilty defensively. He is a prime example of how ruined confidence, playing on the bottom 6 and being stamped a bust can ruin everything about a player's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad