Russian taunts ignite Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
onice said:
And yes, you do troll. You make ridiculous, insulting statements and/or predictions about Canada and Canadian hockey and when you're proven wrong you don't bother to face the music. I call that trolling and it's the most polite term I can think of in this public forum.

Then you have read about one third of my posts on this forum ... that's not enough to make a judgement.
By the way I did come back to this forum the day after the final and expressed my opinion on Canada and Russia and this WJC. But you probably haven't read it.

And what ridiculous predictions did I make about Canada? Browse every game thread, I said they'd be winners of all their games by scores of about 8-2 or 6-1.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
chapel113x said:
Also, Its strange how the majority of people here defending Ovechkin and Malkin are Europeans? Coincidence?

If the WJChamp was just about the money, it would be called World Junior Cup, it'd be organized by the NHL or the Canadian hockey federation and every tournament would take place in Canada. And that's not the point of a WJChamp.

HiLite

Jan 6, 2005
SENATOR said:
Don Cherry is a racist moron, high school drop out who hates anyone who is black, french or Russian and not an anglo-saxon. He hates european hockey too. But nothing like above mention people. He would be perfect as a grand master of KKK. This racist pig is getting money from Canadian tax payers and he is a laud voice of Canadian public TV. Which makes all Canadian tax payers racists too, tolorating this abuse on airwaves.

His favoured pickings are French Canadians and Russians. Hell with Russians, but he hates his own country men. This is so disturbing and reminds me the days of brown shirts of Germany.

Right....umm...I have no response to this. :dunno: :shakehead

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
wilka91 said:
And what ridiculous predictions did I make about Canada? Browse every game thread, I said they'd be winners of all their games by scores of about 8-2 or 6-1.

And just to prove me correct your very next post is:

wilka91 said:
If the WJChamp was just about the money, it would be called World Junior Cup, it'd be organized by the NHL or the Canadian hockey federation and every tournament would take place in Canada. And that's not the point of a WJChamp.

For your info did you know that the Canadian junior program is run on half a million dollar a year. The Finns' 2 and a half million, the Americans double that. I'll bet you the other teams are on par with the Finns and Americans.

But you make such insulting statements that Canadians are mercenary and only care about money. I guess all those Europeans playing in the NHL are there for humanitarian reasons. :shakehead

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
ndhockey21 said:
north dakotas attendence wasnt bad at all

Thanks to all the Canadians that attended.

"Go Jets Go!" chants could be heard all over North Dakota.

SENATOR said:
Don Cherry is a racist moron, high school drop out who hates anyone who is black, french or Russian and not an anglo-saxon. He hates european hockey too. But nothing like above mention people. He would be perfect as a grand master of KKK. This racist pig is getting money from Canadian tax payers and he is a laud voice of Canadian public TV. Which makes all Canadian tax payers racists too, tolorating this abuse on airwaves.

His favoured pickings are French Canadians and Russians. Hell with Russians, but he hates his own country men. This is so disturbing and reminds me the days of brown shirts of Germany.

This is disturbing. If you ran your mouth like you write you'd never last.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
SENATOR said:

Agree! I don't understand why is he still so active! How come nobody takes him down?! He is just dead wrong and sends the wrong message to the young Canadians (anti Franch and anti Russian thinkings) and makes the rest of the world pissed off! The world without him would be a better place!

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
TORRUS said:
Agree! I don't understand why is he still so active! How come nobody takes him down?! He is just dead wrong and sends the wrong message to the young Canadians (anti Franch and anti Russian thinkings) and makes the rest of the world pissed off! The world without him would be a better place!
Don't you think you're exagerrating a little here? The world would be a better place without Grapes? He's just a TV commentator for crying out loud. There are so many worse people running Russia who affect the world stage much more than a stupid redneck who comments about hockey. Beside, who knows what redneck personality is there in Russia that we're not aware of? I can understand French Canadians complaining about him because they pay taxes that goes to his salary but foreigners should just mind their own business. No matter how much trash he talks about Europeans, at the end of the day, Europeans are still a big part of the NHL. He's just there to entertain CANADIANS.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Canuck21t said:
Don't you think you're exagerrating a little here? The world would be a better place without Grapes? He's just a TV commentator for crying out loud. There are so many worse people running Russia who affect the world stage much more than a stupid redneck who comments about hockey. Beside, who knows what redneck personality is there in Russia that we're not aware of? I can understand French Canadians complaining about him because they pay taxes that goes to his salary but foreigners should just mind their own business. No matter how much trash he talks about Europeans, at the end of the day, Europeans are still a big part of the NHL. He's just there to entertain CANADIANS.

Correction: he's there to entertain the slack-jawed, knuckles-in-the-dust crowd who sing along to Molson Canadian commercials while wearing cheap replica Domi jerseys that they purchased at Value Village. He's a disgrace to all other Canadians.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

i dislike grapes as much as anyone but most of his statments get so blown out of porpotion by everyone. IS he an idiot yes, is wrong alot of the time yes, but so are those hot weather chicks on tv. Every once and a while he has a useful thing to say like the ridiclous size of elbow pads. There are much worse people on this planet than Don Cherry like George Bush and that Wilka91 troll. (yes i realize the irony of trolling a troll)

Last edited by a moderator:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Foreigners ah????

How about 600 thousand Russians just in greater Toronto. One million around Canada, and almost 3 million Canadians of Ukranian descent. When Ukranians were immigrating to Canada, country of Ukraine was not even in the world's plans and they used to call themselves russinians or ruthenians. Russia is a greek name for the country and was adopted by Peter the great in 17 century, before Russians used to call themselves russenians or russy, rusaki. You get the drift. There is a mind-boggling number of RUS descent in Canada. RUS people helped to build this country from scratch and we do not want to hear Don's rants against our values and. He insults us as Canadians, or you still like to call as foreigners?????? You body, one more racist as well then.

His takes on Russia during winter olympics were just too rusophobic. CBC recieved numerous complaints and the guy is still there. How come?

One more thing. Director of CBC is of RUS descent as well. That's what I do not understand. The guy is just a sell out for money.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
wilka91 said:

Fair enough. I don't see a problem with it being held in Canada every 3 years though.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
If Cherry were hard on Russians for just some stereotype that was extremely argueable, that would be unnacceptable, but look at some of them -

Yashin - sellout for money, never showed up in the playoffs, etc.
Fedorov - $$ is what matters to him. At least thats what appears to be the case.
Bure - cherrypicker. This is the kind of player a hardcore Canadian player isnt supposed to be, In Cherry's mind, and we all know how patriotic he is.
F. Fedorov - does he know the words effort? consistancy?
Kovalchuck - cocky in his celebrations, hot-dogger, etc.
Ovechkin - cocky!!!!

Now before you guys twist this into I'm anti - Russian too, I am not all that worried about this stuff. Cherry however, is extremely fundamental when it comes to hockey and none of this stuff appeals to him. I mean look, he critisized Crosby too for a hot-dogging move. It's not Russians he dislikes, it's their style. Obviously Russians have different opinions of a good solid hockey player, and I respect that, I'm sure Cherry does too ;)

Now as for this Russian "troll" I've seen many like him. They seem very bitter about Canada. I can see why. They think that Russians should dominate and run the NHL like Canadians do(as in the 50% of players, most refs are canadian, etc.), there should be more Fedor Fedorovs and less Matt Cookes, more bures and less Roberts', etc. At least thats what it appears to me. If i'm wrong, then please correct me.

I must say though, that guys like Kovalchuck and Bure are entertaining as hell(were in bures case) and I love guys like that in the NHL. Cherry needs to realize that a mix of foreign players is good for the entertainment value of the league, which even with that is sagging.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
nucks&flames said:
If Cherry were hard on Russians for just some stereotype that was extremely argueable, that would be unnacceptable, but look at some of them -

Fedorov - $$ is what matters to him. At least thats what appears to be the case.
Bure - cherrypicker. This is the kind of player a hardcore Canadian player isnt supposed to be, In Cherry's mind, and we all know how patriotic he is.
Ovechkin - cocky!!!!

Now before you guys twist this into I'm anti - Russian too, I am not all that worried about this stuff. Cherry however, is extremely fundamental when it comes to hockey and none of this stuff appeals to him. I mean look, he critisized Crosby too for a hot-dogging move. It's not Russians he dislikes, it's their style. Obviously Russians have different opinions of a good solid hockey player, and I respect that, I'm sure Cherry does too ;)

Now as for this Russian "troll" I've seen many like him. They seem very bitter about Canada. I can see why. They think that Russians should dominate and run the NHL like Canadians do(as in the 50% of players, most refs are canadian, etc.), there should be more Fedor Fedorovs and less Matt Cookes, more bures and less Roberts', etc. At least thats what it appears to me. If i'm wrong, then please correct me.

I must say though, that guys like Kovalchuck and Bure are entertaining as hell(were in bures case) and I love guys like that in the NHL. Cherry needs to realize that a mix of foreign players is good for the entertainment value of the league, which even with that is sagging.
Konstantinov, Kasparitis, etc...To say all Russians are cocky cherrypickers is very stereotypical and naive. It is like saying all Canadians are dump and chase grinders.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Just to put things in perspective, I remember during the game after a russian goal the player put his hand to his ear to taunt the silenced crowd and drifted all the way to the boards.

You should have seen the guy in the front row where the player drifted to: he was screaming and banging against the glass like a madman but he had a huge smile on his face and afterwards he and his wife (I assume) had a good laugh about it all.
Basically maybe the russians did taunt but the crowd was into it too, it was all part of the show.

Hating your opponent is an essential part of a rivalry, what the russians did just makes the next games more exciting IMO and certainly kept the crowd into it during the game.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
OK, what is Cherry saying about Mario Lemieux? He came to the NHL barely speaking english (I heard that somewhere) and is Q as much as someone can get! Did he have the guts to speak bad on him?!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
TORRUS said:
OK, what is Cherry saying about Mario Lemieux? He came to the NHL barely speaking english (I heard that somewhere) and is Q as much as someone can get! Did he have the guts to speak bad on him?!

Unfortunately yes, but I have to stick up for Don Cherry this time.

He is a bigot, not a racist.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
nucks&flames said:

Ovechkin - cocky!!!!

Okay, the Russian guys in the league now may never measure up to the class and work ethic of Sakic, Yzerman, Iginla and Sundin, but neither do a good deal of players in the league. In fact, one or more of those four expressions, sellout cocky, cherry picker, or inconsistant could very well describe at least 90% of the NHL.Frankly, I'd like to see you make a list of more than 20 guys who would not be described as the previous. Lets also not forget a guy like Igor Larionov, either. I don't think anybody could have worked harder to get where he was and pave the way for others.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I think it's a question of culture. Europeans in general don't consider celebration a "taunt". Football (soccer) players are also know for their antic after they score a goal. They are also known for their dive. In europe, it's just a psychological part of the game. It's not an insult or anything.

And frankly, I don't think they are necessary wrong.

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
The USA-Russia game was frustrating to watch for a US fan. It seems like every little tap would cause a russian to fall to the ice in agoning looking for a penalty, not to mention that knocking the net of it's posts was painfully obvious. Not that team USA is a group of perfect little angels, but my attitude towards the russians has changed alot.

two out of three*

The USA-Russia could've been such a better game if there wasn't so much diving, laying on the ice trying to draw a penalties, faking injuries by the Russians. It made me lose a lot of respect for them because after all they are very good hockey players. They won the game.. maybe not fair and square but they got the job done, and thats what they intended to do. Even if they had to dive, fake, taunt, purposely knock the net off its mourings, etc. etc.

As far as the taunting goes, it went a little too far. Shirokov's ear thing was fine. (Unnecessary but fine.) Ovechkin, and Malkin.. whatever go ahead and taunt. But when you taunt that much somebody is going to get hurt. (Hence why one of the Russians got a bloody nose near the end.) So if your asking me... If Im on the ice, and somebody taunts me.. taunts my bench after they score an empty net goal.. No I'm not gonna McSorley, or Bertuzzi the other team, but one of them is going to hit the boards or the ice pretty hard. So my point is if you want to taunt.. go ahead, but don't ***** and moan when one of your players gets hurt. (No I wouldn't take drastic measures after Shirokov's thing, but after Ovechkin, and Malkins taunting I would.)

I think AO stopped taunting after Bergeron sent him to the locker room.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
nucks&flames said:

Ovechkin - cocky!!!!

Let's try this instead. If we were hard on Canadians for just some stereotype that is extremely arguable, that would be unacceptable, but look at some of them:

Lindros - Refused to wear the jersey of the team who drafted him, is as dumb as a doorknob, acted often like a spoiled brat, mama's boy had parents intervene at every turn, never won, anything, etc.

Joe Sakic - Leadership completely overblown. Also signed an offer sheet to the Rangers just like Fedorov with Carolina, forcing the Avs' hands. Money is all that matter to him. At least that's what appears to be the case.

Alexandre Daigle - Hot dogger, cocky to an extreme rarely seen, quickly signed for as much as he could and then successfully invaded his own ass with both thumbs after dipping them in crazy glue.

Pierre Dagenais - Does he know the word effort and consistency. Better yet, has he ever tried to actually wear man's underwear or does he enjoy actually being an oversized pansy?

Theoren Fleury - When this guy can spend 6 months of his life without disgracing himself or the game of hockey, it's usually an achievement similar to scoring 50 goals in a season. Substance abuse, missing team meetings, criticizing coaches, attacks on mascots, cheap shots, obscene gestures at crowds that put back into context a teenager showing his name on the back of a jersey.

Mike Ribeiro - OMG! Someone call the police, this guy had a nose ring at one time! This is unconscionable, I say! Also cocky, somewhat undisciplined. Faked an injury on the ice. How dare he? Only Russians dive or fake in this league!

Mario Lemieux - Was extremely unhappy at draft time, wanted to dictate where he would go and Pittsburgh wasn't something he wanted.

Dale Hunter, Todd Bertuzzi, Marty McSorley - just a few of countless names who have at one point almost killed someone going above the rules of hockey.

Chris Gratton - Big on talent, but almost completely uninterested in hockey. Shows up just to keep cashing his checks. Frequently rumored as a guy who might not even bother coming back.

Ed Belfour - Cocky, rotten attitude, overly agressive drunk. But I will remove his name from this illustrious list if he ives me a billion dollar.

Patrick Roy - Cocky to an extreme rarely seen. Was a prima donna in his prime, disturbed locker rooms often. Was at odds with several coaches. Laughed at them, threw TVs around. Winked at players on ice, taunted them after saves, made his best impression of the statue of liberty. Was implicated in a domestic violence incident. Demanded to be traded during a game.

Mike Ricci - If his name was Mike Alfredsson, would be constantly abused for his outrageous hair by numbnuts. Instead, praised as a good Ontarian character guy.

Trevor Kidd -Flashy equipment, flashy appearance, lots of ego. Was one of the first players I know to have a well advertised website to keep people updated on when he would next warm a bench or start a game to **** up 2 points for his team. Big time underachiever, whiner and attention getter.

Mike Danton - This proud Ontarian decided trying to hack at someone with a hockey stick to kill them McSorley-style wasn't sophisticated enough. Why not hire a hitman instead? Several screws loose, changed his name, his a locker room headache and overall, a complete ****head.

Bobby Clarke - When you can't be better than them, break their ankles. Also, don't forget that he didn't tell Neilson to go and get cancer. Neilson got this cancer all on his own, that traitor! :speechles

Jason Spezza - Almost as flashy as Kovalchuk. Tries to beat NHLers with junior moves. Was caught trying to make his way in a casino with fake ideas.

Craig MacTavish - Got drunk and killed someone. Now as a coach, he and his brave Oilers have to live with the taunts of horrible russians like Kovalchuk who takes him to school by scoring a goal after getting an illegal stick penalty. When he is not drinking and driving, MacT enjoys long walk on the beach and assaulting the Flames mascot.

We can safely conclude, if we are Pejorative Slured enough, that all Canadians are bums, wimps, lazy asses who only think of money, bribes and rubbing it in to their opponents.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
Jason Spezza - Almost as flashy as Kovalchuk. Tries to beat NHLers with junior moves. Was caught trying to make his way in a casino with fake ideas.
You mean those aren't real ideas of his?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
Let's try this instead. If we were hard on Canadians for just some stereotype that is extremely arguable, that would be unacceptable, but look at some of them:

We can safely conclude, if we are Pejorative Slured enough, that all Canadians are bums, wimps, lazy asses who only think of money, bribes and rubbing it in to their opponents.

You left out some: Scott Stevens, known for delivering concusive blows to the heads of opponants. Tie Domi: Known for occasionable questionable plays, such as sucker punching unsuspecting opponents,only discernable skill(for non Leafs fans) is having Sundin slapshots deflect off keister into goal, Brian Marchment, well known knee hunter, Danny Heatly, unfortunate as it was, off ice recklessness got him injured and teamate killed. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if it had been Kovalchuk who had done that he would have been mercilessly ripped to shreads by Canadian fans and media(Heatly was ripped a little) Did you mention Todd Bertuzzi? I'll add Gary Suter as an American head-hunter.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:

Just to add some to you list

Scott Stevens, Neil Sheehy, Geoff Courtnall ,Dino Ciccarelli and the Limo incident

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/103217p-93406c.html

"In 1990, a D.C. Superior Court grand jury declined to file charges against three Washington Capitals hockey players - Neil Sheehy, Dino Ciccarelli and Geoff Courtnall - who had been accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl in a limousine. The girl had accused the three, and player Scott Stevens, of attacking her during an end-of-the-year team party in a Georgetown alley. Sources close to the investigation said law enforcement officers were certain there had been sexual activity in the limousine, but the grand jury said it did not believe it occurred against the girl's will."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad