Russian taunts ignite Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Dude

Vlad The Impaler said:
BTW, from what little I know of players agent over there, this is also an area that is sorely lacking. Around here, players are programmed. What most people here mistake as "classy" is nothing more than programmation. Our young athletes here are well coached in PR before they are even drafted. They come at interviews and already have all the answers. And if they make the mistake of not going by the book like Schremp and actually treat you intelligently with an honest answer, they're labelled as huge headcase with attitude problems. Meanwhile, character guy Dan Paille was bull****ing his way in all interviews giving the answers provided by his agent. Not a single word from him. Wow! That's Canadian heart for you!

You have to go in the interviews with your canned answers. You gotta say the right things all the time. Eventually, most of the Euros who come over here learn what they are supposed to do to keep the media and fans off their backs, like everybody else.

Heart is determined on the ice, not in an interview.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Mountain Dude said:
Heart is determined on the ice, not in an interview.

Heart is determined by everything a player is about. The interviews are a process in which teams try to determine how a player fits attitude-wise. But many players cheat on them, rendering the process a travesty, IMO.

Canned answers are an insult to intelligence as far as I'm concerned.

In the end, you are right that what really matters is determined on the ice, though.

Which is why Ovechkin has been a prized prospect for almost three years now.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Ribeiro's embellishment, followed by taunting was fairly obvious. Corson literally quit on his team. He left. Ovechkin was injured and left a game, a common occurance in hockey and nothing to write home about.

But I can already tell you: players of all kinds, from warriors to floaters quit games with an injury ALL THE TIME. To know not it, to deny it, is to showcase stupidity to newer levels, even for this website.

I was hoping that even YOU can see the difference between an incident where a player manufactures an incident to leave a game because he can't handle the pressure and another where he is forced to leave a game. I guess I was wrong.

Stevie Y being rushed off the ice with blood dripping from his eyes with his orbital area crushed due to fear of losing that eye is clearly different than and a young bully of a punk who taunted others when he got his way then pretending to be hurt next game so that he wouldn't have to withstand the pressures of having to live up to the image that he had manufactured for himself. Once he realized that he wasn't going to walk the walk after all the talk he did, he chose to fake an injury rather than face the expectations of his team mates, his entire country and ultimately his parents (and if you studied a little about psychology, you would know why that is). To top it off, Ovechicken has a history of doing things like this...and faking injuries... unlike one Mike Ribeiro who obviously faked it but doesn't have the experience to hide it as well.

Even YOU cannot be that dumb so I will have to give you the benefit of the doubt that what you are doing is pulling your usual SELF-High and SELF-mighty act by pretending that you are unlike other Canadians who can be racists because you can see the Russian side of things. However, you don't realize that you went too far and now have become a racist against your own people...but you are a little too Pejorative SlurED to see this very fact! Oh well, what can I do???

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
As for Joe Sakic, well aside from the use cliches used to describe him, not much new here. Sakic is terribly overrated as a leader, literally floated the first few years of his career. I now, I was watching almost every game. He was lazy, uninterested and undisciplined. The leadership on this team came from other players, especially Patrick Roy. Joe can thank Roy and others for the undeserved reputation he now carries.

I don't deny that a HUGE part of the Av's leadership came from Patrick. How can it not? His ego was so big that it demanded to be listened. However, if you didn't understand it the first time, here it is again. People grow into leadership and Joe like Stevie has grown nicely into his.

BTW, you must have WAAAAAAY too much free time on your hands...I cannot even fathom how you can be on here so often...

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
BTW, from what little I know of players agent over there, this is also an area that is sorely lacking. Around here, players are programmed. What most people here mistake as "classy" is nothing more than programmation. Our young athletes here are well coached in PR before they are even drafted. They come at interviews and already have all the answers. And if they make the mistake of not going by the book like Schremp and actually treat you intelligently with an honest answer, they're labelled as huge headcase with attitude problems. Meanwhile, character guy Dan Paille was bull****ing his way in all interviews giving the answers provided by his agent. Not a single word from him. Wow! That's Canadian heart for you!

Oaah, another generalization!!!

You know that you are becoming quite the racist yourself with such over simplifications, EH? (in case you're too slow to get that, I'm including so that you'll know that I'm a Canadian!)

Headcases are labelled that by their actions and attitudes prior to whatever intelligent answer they may give in interviews...

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
David said:
However, you don't realize that you went too far and now have become a racist against your own people...but you are a little too Pejorative SlurED to see this very fact! Oh well, what can I do???

Someone is clearly going too far.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
David said:
Even YOU cannot be that dumb so I will have to give you the benefit of the doubt that what you are doing is pulling your usual SELF-High and SELF-mighty act by pretending that you are unlike other Canadians who can be racists because you can see the Russian side of things.

I'm not trying to pretend I am above other Canadians. Most Canadians wouldn't go to the extremes you've showcased here. I am above you, though. Not that it's something I am proud of because that isn't very difficult.

David said:
However, you don't realize that you went too far and now have become a racist against your own people...but you are a little too Pejorative SlurED to see this very fact! Oh well, what can I do???

Please explain. How have I become a racist against my own people? This should be very interesting.

espo*

Gotta disagree with the comment about Sakic being over-rated as a leader too.You don't have to be all raa-raa to be a good leader,some guys lead by example with their play....he's one of those guys.Combine that with the fact he is just a classy pro all around the board and guys can't help but look up to him and respect him.....scoring big goals at big times get people looking up to him also....you don't have to say a word in the dressing room when you do that with regularity and that's what Sakic does no question.When he walks into a locker room other players look up to him because well.......he's Joe Sakic!!! Who would'nt?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
David said:
Oaah, another generalization!!!

You know that you are becoming quite the racist yourself with such over simplifications, EH? (in case you're too slow to get that, I'm including so that you'll know that I'm a Canadian!)

Cultures, politics, traditions affect people in Russia and Canada and everywhere else. There are obviously differences and trends everywhere. The key is to put it in perspective and not freak out.

It is a simple fact. Most of our young athletes are well-manufactured PR machines. It is the way things work. You don't agree? Your loss, not mine.

We're also considerably on the left compared to a country like the USA. You refuse to see that? Your loss, not mine. Such observations are not racism but rather the way things are. Nothing wrong with that.

To see racism in there, you gotta have several screws loose, buddy.

You can make plenty of observations in life. Racism, bigotry and all those things most of us hate come from fear and hate of differences. Intellectually-challenged folks seem to be unable not to fear differences. So I guess they think the only way
not to hate differences is to pretend there are no differences.

The world does not work that way. There are differences. You just don't have to get your panties in a bunch Cherry-style and begin to grasp at straws because you see them.

How you've rationalizedthat somehow a Russian player going down to injury HAS to be the work of a guy quiting on his team is a good example of that negativity I was just speaking about. It is quite lame and pathetic.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I'm not trying to pretend I am above other Canadians. Most Canadians wouldn't go to the extremes you've showcased here.

Please explain. How have I become a racist against my own people? This should be very interesting.

Just as I thought! Too slow (that's another word for Pejorative SlurED, you know?)to realize what you yourself has become because you're too busy correcting others...tsk, tsk.

Just looking at one of your NUMEROUS incessantly long posts that ramble on about nothing recently, I can pick two examples right off the bat...

Vlad The Impaler said:
You wanna imagine what people would say if it was Kovalchuk instead of a Canadian Tiger Williams doing this?

If a Russian player pulls a couple of hair to bring back a wuss like Comrie and pound on him, he is girly. But when Jordin Tootoo, a dirty little snott, ****ing bites another player, he's an "intense character guy".

So this is how all Canadians are, are we?

Racist, AND Pejorative SlurED!!!...and I thought that you were one of the few who actually had a thing or two to say once in awhile...but it turns out your ego couldn't handle your little success (and that's minute in that it's on an internet bull board)...kinda a reminds me of a real promising Russian kid in a recent hockey tournament who let it all go to his head and had it blow up in his face...

I'm betting that Ovechkin can change...and that you can too!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
David said:
So this is how all Canadians are, are we?

Evidently, no. As I said, most people here are mature enough to be above that. There is however a vocal segment of asshats of which you are a proud member.

I like you. Please go on, David. You put the Ds in Pejorative Slured!

chicpea*

David said:

What in tarnation are you talking about?
:dunno:

Lost Kangaroo

Jun 4, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
As a US citizen I felt the Russian taunting went a bit too far and the poor sportsmanship as far as diving and knocking the net loose was also a bit much, but the game is over and whats done is done. We need to remember that names and numbers have been taken and if the players feel the need to in the future when they meet again they will handle it. I think this game is one that is best when it is self policed. (and Im not talking about a Mcsorley type incident.)
We also need to remember that these are kids all under 20. So they show boat a bit. Not a big deal. In my opinion the only one who was totally out of line was the Russian coach or assistant or whoever he was that joined in and was yakking at an American player and pointing to the score board. Why an adult would taunt a teenager is beyond me. tasteless and immature.

As far as Don Cherry goes, it seems to me that if you dont like what hes saying you can just do what Howard Stern always says. "If you dont like what Im saying, just turn the dial". You dont have to like what he says, but you can always turn down the volume or change the channel till hes done. I dont get to see him here in the states so I cant really say if I would like him or not, but the man has a right to his opinion. I think comparing him to a nazi as someone did earlier is not only unfair to him, but insensative to those who were truley affected by that time in history. I think it is more Nazi like to sit there and dictate what he should and shoulnt say than what he does. Like I said, I dont get to see him that often, but he has as much a right to his opinion as you have to dissagree with it.

That said, Congrats to the Canuks on the gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->