GDT: Russia Vs Sweden | 12/30 @ 9:30PM | TSN/NHLN

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
For all the hype they've been getting the swedish D group looks like a bit of an issue in the own zone so far. Broberg is struggling with injury. Söderström while elite with the puck has been slow to pucks defensively and losing the majority of his puck battles. Björnfot tends to be in the vicinity of where he should be defensively but fails to tie up his man way too often. Johansson had a good first game against the Czech and I love his sneaky dirty but his positioning wasn't great in this one. Brännstam has been ok but us a limited player. Andrae has been pretty good overall, probably our best positioned D but is getting beaten in physical battles for obvious reasons and was way off on one of the PP goals against. Hedström just can't keep up.
Lot of poise and puck skills but I would like to see much better defense from the guys called defenders, it's kind of in the name.

Wallstedt was good, always in position to give himself a chance, but his rebound control could be better.

It was a bad game by all the Swedish D overall. They were way too passive on the PK and in front of their net. I think they need to turn up the intensity a notch or USA is going to just keep driving it to the net with speed and make them look even worse.

Reactions: Dala and snipes

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Some of the Swedish team's comments about Team Russia are leaving a sour aftertaste. A Swedish player, Holtz, claimed Sweden are "more skilled" (and yet their goals in this game were much more workmanlike) and afterwards, the players said that Russia "played dirty". It seems that the Swedes couldn't handle the loss too well in this case and were not respectful towards the opponent.

Reactions: hullsy47

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Some of the Swedish team's comments about Team Russia are leaving a sour aftertaste. A Swedish player, Holtz, claimed Sweden are "more skilled" (and yet their goals in this game were much more workmanlike) and afterwards, the players said that Russia "played dirty". It seems that the Swedes couldn't handle the loss too well in this case and were not respectful towards the opponent.

I dunno.

Was a pretty intense game and I think the he still might have been feeling that "oopsie" spear to the groin he took.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That was an enjoyable game, plenty of momentum shifts. Hopefully we see more like that as things move toward the elimination games.

I anticipate with will Jackie.

The game against the Finns will be a tough one for us. The hockey gets serious from here on in.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Both teams came out of the game looking good IMO. No quit in them and looking ready for the quarters against anyone.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Agreed, leave complaining about refs to us fans. We're also much better at it, having decades of practice. :D

(yeah, I know. *You* - looking at reader - never complain... except that one time when the refs were obviously and 100% objectively wrong... :laugh:)

Seriously though, it's really annoying. Doesn't feel professional. At least be a bit circumspect about it if necessary ("we didn't get the bounces tonight" or similar).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Agreed, leave complaining about refs to us fans. We're also much better at it, having decades of practice. :D

(yeah, I know. *You* - looking at reader - never complain... except that one time when the refs were obviously and 100% objectively wrong... :laugh:)

Seriously though, it's really annoying. Doesn't feel professional. At least be a bit circumspect about it if necessary ("we didn't get the bounces tonight" or similar).

Yeah, they did, though. Two of their goals were lucky bounces. So it left officiating...

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Did he? Well the Russians arent less skilled, I tend to agree actually, it was more the work effort from Sweden that kept the game close.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

well he is talking crap. russia is more skilled and faster too. both teams did some dirty stuff.

Reactions: c9gunner

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
agreed, players are one thing and can be ok to have the occasional tantrum. Worse is the leadership group in previous years lashing out and in the process making the team's chance of "beneficial" reffing in later stages slim to none.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Still not sure the last penalty was really a penalty but if you put both hands on the guy you are going to get a penalty.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It'll be more coming first in every group stage since 2007, if they manage to beat USA that is, which I feel like they wont.

I'd say USA is the favorite but it's Sweden in the group stage so they will get it to OT somehow some way.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Excellent game. Some wild swings of momentum there for sure. Don't think either team is as good as Canada, possibly not as good as the U.S. Really liked Podkolzin's leadership on the ice; kept Russia going despite a couple of tough moments for the team. Swedish comments didn't bother me, I though they were kind of funny. These kids still have a non-pc attitude, and it's refreshing. Sweden overall might be more skilled than Russia - just not in this game. One note: Askarov is flopping around a lot. Not sure what to think about his game at this point.

Reactions: Slimmy

MoDoJoel

Jan 2, 2020
This felt like a medal round game with all the emotions from both teams. Definitely the most entertaining game so far and probably the highest level of play too. Not sure why people rate team US above these two, imo both looked a good deal more impressive than the US did vs Russia. US did pop off vs Czech Rep & Austria but I don't put all that much value in blowout games vs weaker opponents.

Guess tonights game will give a good indicator on where they truly stand. I just hope it'll be as entertaining as this one.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Restrictions are only applied to adult competitions.

Last I checked anyone 18+ is legally considered an adult...
And if "mixed age participation" is the reply, then the Olympics still feature athletes who are as young as 15 in certain disciplines yet they will be expected to compete as a neutral nation.

Very inconsistent, could just be one or the other to help "unify" the punishing factor.

Its the IIHF after all, they’re pretty much owned by Russia and, to some extent, Canada (WJC-schedule and tv-rights) so I guess it’s to be expected.
Stop with this nonsense. Junior competitions (U20, U18, U-whatever since you’re nitpicking) are explicitly excluded from restrictions just like tournaments of any level other than Olympics and world championships (say, European championships or club competitions). This isn’t some conspiracy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad