GDT: Russia Vs Sweden | 12/30 @ 9:30PM | TSN/NHLN

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
You do know that russian line didn't produce first two games RIGHT? Or some other good players like when Afanasiev added to his tally. Or Abramov made the game winning play, or Knyazevs 4th point as a D?

This continuous downplaying of Russia's depth is fun to watch from the side since every year "oh wow russia is in the finals again..."

Well, they lost to the Czechs !

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Why is Russia allowed to be called “Russia” in this tournament? Wasn’t it decided that they can’t use their jerseys, anthem and nation in all coming World Championships and olympics for 2 years quite recently b/c of all the doping?

Edit: I know it’s OT, just asking.

Great game, good that the streak finally ended.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Hope they rest Broberg against Usa!

Russia is a 1 line team who creates 90% of their chances, but that line is dirty good!

Remember wjc 1992 when 21 Forsberg Markus naslund and nick sundstrom was unstoppable 69 p in 7 games.

Everyone met each other. Sweden needed a draw against Canada to win gold. Canada won 5- 4 and their goale was a wall despite let in 4 goals. Näslund took a bad 5 late in the third.

Russias 1 line isnt that good, cant fly in 3 periods, saw it against Usa and today!
you need other lines to step up in a long tournament, that is why Canada is a gold favorite, a team with 1st rounders.

Sweden has 2 great goalies but the no 1 didnt played tonight, hes in against Usa again. Goalies can win cups. Usa is after seen all teams 2 nd to win with Russia and sweden as outsiders, Askarow has a lot of flaws, isnt top 3 goalie in the tournament!

Canada's depth has always been it's strength.

Canada could ice two competitive teams every tourney

Spic Bud

Dec 29, 2020
some good antagonizing by both teams. dirty or not they got under each others skins without taking penalties a lot of times... I like dat.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
36 million Russians watched last years WJC Gold medal game.

It’s so funny when some Americans (not all) try to call this meaningless and no one outside of Canada cares. I don’t think some realize truly how popular this is in the hockey world writ large.

This tournament is massive in several European countries.

I think you are misrepresenting what was said.

No American here thinks the tournament is meaningless. Fans who come to a hockey message board are not casuals.

What was said is that to the career’s of these players it really doesn’t matter that much when you are already an NHL’er. And we’ve seen multiple players like Seider, Hughes, Lafreniere, Robertson, Kakko make the decision to focus on their seasons instead.

I think everyone on a website like this with so many different nationalities understands the perspectives of different cultures. I don’t think it’s right to claim Americans think this tournament is meaningless, as if there’s no hockey culture in our country and it only exists in countries where hockey’s the top sport.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Canada's depth has always been it's strength.

Canada could ice two competitive teams every tourney

For sure! But this last years they changed strategi and took Bpa, instead of give roleplayers a spot over better players!

This year, it doesnt matter what line they ice, they have 4 scoring lines!

Its hard to defend against such a team, they just keep coming!

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Why is Russia allowed to be called “Russia” in this tournament? Wasn’t it decided that they can’t use their jerseys, anthem and nation in all coming World Championships and olympics for 2 years quite recently b/c of all the doping?

Edit: I know it’s OT, just asking.

Great game, good that the streak finally ended.
Restrictions are only applied to adult competitions.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
He's got some pretty strange english for an english speaking Canadian, doubt he grew up here.

His m.o is trolling though, especially Canada,though it can be anyone sweden is facing. it's all he does every year.

maybe not your best pick for role model unless you think that stuff is humorous though it's hard to believe an adult could.

I'll assume you are one.

I'm only here during wjc or other national competions games, no hard feelings but I'm not gunna lie Canada is my hate object number uno when it comes to hockey! otherwise i love you guys :) got good friends from Nova Scotia so take what i say for what it is national rivalry in sports.

I'm apologizing if it sounded harser than i ment it to be tho!

Last edited:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Great game! Sweden is so damn good! They have all of these really big guys who can fly out there, and handle the puck and shoot beautifully. Russia was lucky to win, but we will take it even if its ugly. Kudos to Larionov - the guys held together when the pressure was really on.

With as much energy as they expended, Sweden should be a bit exhausted tomorrow, but I am pulling for them to win. If the US should win, they may finish in first place based on the fact that toinight's win was in overtime, and I think you get fewer points for an overtime win. Should be a great game! Go, Sweden.

You are being modest now! Sweden should be lucky they got 1 point with them from this game! it was Russias game from start to the end :)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
You are being modest now! Sweden should be lucky they got 1 point with them from this game! it was Russias game from start to the end :)

Sweden started taking over in the second period and looked better for a chunk of the third. They just didn't cash in on their power plays and Russia, to their credit, found a second wind.

Reactions: aphyro

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
As a member of the goalie union, this was as joyous a game you could watch. Two of the most dynamic goaltending prospects in 20 years head to head.

Both incredibly talented and technical beyond their peers.

Aug 3, 2010
Restrictions are only applied to adult competitions.
Last I checked anyone 18+ is legally considered an adult...
And if "mixed age participation" is the reply, then the Olympics still feature athletes who are as young as 15 in certain disciplines yet they will be expected to compete as a neutral nation.

Very inconsistent, could just be one or the other to help "unify" the punishing factor.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Last I checked anyone 18+ is legally considered an adult...
And if "mixed age participation" is the reply, then the Olympics still feature athletes who are as young as 15 in certain disciplines yet they will be expected to compete as a neutral nation.

Very inconsistent, could just be one or the other to help "unify" the punishing factor.
Its the IIHF after all, they’re pretty much owned by Russia and, to some extent, Canada (WJC-schedule and tv-rights) so I guess it’s to be expected.

Reactions: THE JAM and Dala

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Russia 3 pp goals! That was the difference in a great game! Sweden had a great pp, but wrong triggerman in their 1st pp!
Agree. I know Holtz has a one timer but he seldom uses it. It's up to the coach to force him to. Either that, or switch Holtz with Gunler.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
For all the hype they've been getting the swedish D group looks like a bit of an issue in the own zone so far. Broberg is struggling with injury. Söderström while elite with the puck has been slow to pucks defensively and losing the majority of his puck battles. Björnfot tends to be in the vicinity of where he should be defensively but fails to tie up his man way too often. Johansson had a good first game against the Czech and I love his sneaky dirty but his positioning wasn't great in this one. Brännstam has been ok but us a limited player. Andrae has been pretty good overall, probably our best positioned D but is getting beaten in physical battles for obvious reasons and was way off on one of the PP goals against. Hedström just can't keep up.
Lot of poise and puck skills but I would like to see much better defense from the guys called defenders, it's kind of in the name.

Wallstedt was good, always in position to give himself a chance, but his rebound control could be better.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Also how can Holtz whine about the refs? While the russians were undisciplined and deserved most of their penalties swedish team got away with a bunch of hooks and holds when they failed to move their feet. If anyone should bitch about the refs it's team Russia.

I don't like how swedish NTs have been crying about reffing at all levels the last few years. Someone mentioned it started with Montén but imo it started alreadt with Grönborg. We should be above that type of crap. Focus on stuff we can control.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm only here during wjc or other national competions games, no hard feelings but I'm not gunna lie Canada is my hate object number uno when it comes to hockey! otherwise i love you guys :) got good friends from Nova Scotia so take what i say for what it is national rivalry in sports.

I'm apologizing if it sounded harser than i ment it to be tho!
:thumbu:

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad