Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2019

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think they should build from within Russia, because for CHL and NHL Russians, the success of Russian hockey is a trillion miles below money and fame in their list of priorities. Why would they care at all, particularly if they hope to make a new life in the USA or Canada?

You can't tell me that Kostin who was bawling his eyes out after the semi final loss cares less than those Russians playing in Russia. The kids who go to North America are every bit as patriotic as any other Russian, they are just misguided on the best path to success.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I dunno. This team seemed more 'workman' than previous Bragin teams. Perhaps it was the Znarok influence.
Last year's team was the worst pure workman team in a while (at least modern while) This team could have been a lot more capable on attack, instead Bragin chose some players to appease Rottenberg (and ska), who are way too limited in their offensive abilities. I don't know what was the FO % for the Kravtsov line, but I bet you thier impact would have been hiegher, had there been a Khovanov centering them.
Because our hockey lacks style and system - we can't put forth a cohesive offensive team effort against even opponents, so Bragin picks work-horses to outwork and out-hustle the opponent.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I disagree. That is like fighting a fire by pouring on more gasoline. First, the availability of Russian players from the CHL is totally under the control of the Canadians who own them. Second, only a few Russian CHL'ers are good enough to theoretically help win a Gold Medal, and I am not aware of a single case where a CHL'er who could have put Gold Medals around Russian necks was ever left off the team. Third, just like their big brothers from the NHL, trying to put together a team that is half Russian hockey and half NHL hockey more often than not will end up in disastrous failure. Look at Russia's disastrous record in the Olympics during the NHL era, after 2002, when the last of the Soviet-trained players was available. No better than a 6th place finish was achieved. If we were to honestly agree that Russia was no better than 6th or 7th in world placing, then that would be satisfactory, but I don't accept that. I think they should build from within Russia, because for CHL and NHL Russians, the success of Russian hockey is a trillion miles below money and fame in their list of priorities. Why would they care at all, particularly if they hope to make a new life in the USA or Canada?

what are you talking about in bold?????

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think picking a younger roster would help. Look what Finland does. They pick their 2-4 best draft prospects almost every year.

Yeah tournament experience is big, Malkin, Kuznetsov etc were able to singlehandedly dominate tournaments in their later years not only because they were older but also they had played in 2-3 previous tournaments, taking more skilled 18 year olds when they are talented enough would help, though they'd likely have some worse results some years obviously. Players look completely different usually in their second tournament compared to their first in a positive way.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
what are you talking about in bold?????

I am saying that their participation is not fully under the control of the RHF, because their employers are the Canadian Hockey League. There are agreements between the CHL and the RHF, but the kids want to please and impress their employers first and foremost. If these players don't totally commit themselves to the Canadian system, they will fail in their goal to play for Canadian and American owners in the NHL. Overall, it is just another complicating factor in trying to merge a domestic-based team with a team that plays overseas.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You can't tell me that Kostin who was bawling his eyes out after the semi final loss cares less than those Russians playing in Russia. The kids who go to North America are every bit as patriotic as any other Russian, they are just misguided on the best path to success.

I am not questioning their patriotism or anything like that. I'm just saying that their concentration and focus is on playing in the NHL, and that national team goals are a lesser concern for them. They have to keep their eye on the prize!

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I am not questioning their patriotism or anything like that. I'm just saying that their concentration and focus is on playing in the NHL, and that national team goals are a lesser concern for them. They have to keep their eye on the prize!

Hehe, I like those undercurrents, Yakushev72 :).

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Yeah tournament experience is big, Malkin, Kuznetsov etc were able to singlehandedly dominate tournaments in their later years not only because they were older but also they had played in 2-3 previous tournaments, taking more skilled 18 year olds when they are talented enough would help, though they'd likely have some worse results some years obviously. Players look completely different usually in their second tournament compared to their first in a positive way.

As far as I remember, Kostin performed much better last year than this year. I wouldn't say he was bad this year, but last year he dominated.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
As far as I remember, Kostin performed much better last year than this year. I wouldn't say he was bad this year, but last year he dominated.

Yeah I think he is a complimentary player , he at least looked much stronger physically than last year.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Technically bronze is not a bad result and, while I was always advocating that approach, this year it left a bit of a bitter aftertaste, as I don't think we could've won anything more this time.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
In my opinion, Russia's chances of winning international tournaments would be greatly enhanced by having national teams at the U18, U20, and Senior levels. The downside, not having access to some of the best talents like Ovechkin and Malkin, would be offset by having teams composed of talented players who play together and have a team chemistry. That would be particularly true at U18 and U20, because during breaks in the KHL, VHL and MHL, the kids work together in a national team program to practice synchronization and everyone being on the same page with strategy and tactics. It is too hard to know who will be available from North America. This year, for example, Svechnikov was an 18-year old, but his NHL employers kept him out of the games. That doesn't happen in the KHL.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
what is status and team of defenseman Roman Biychov..Will his team release to Guelph in Canada?.. where Samorukov played

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Trishin played 55 games for Moscow Spartak as a 20-year-old last season but is in the VHL to start 2020-21.

Is there more to know about his long-term potential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad