Tarasov/Kochetkov; Miftakhov

Samorukov-Rubinchik
Alexeyev-Romanov
Morozov-Zhuravlyov

Denisenko-Kravtsov-Kostin
Kovalenko-Shen-Starkov
Marchenko-Morozov-Podkolzin
Muranov-Galimov-Slepets

With two roster spots still open and Khovanov, Shashkov, Olshanskiy and Kalabushkin still in the camp.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So, looks like this is how it looks at the start of WJC

Samorukov-Rubinchik
Alexeyev-Romanov
Morozov-Zhuravlyov

Kovalenko-Shen-Starkov
Muranov-Galimov-Slepets

With two roster spots still open and Khovanov, Shashkov, Olshanskiy and Kalabushkin still in the camp.
Khovanov is probably in if the Kravtsov at C experiment fails.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So, looks like this is how it looks at the start of WJC

Samorukov-Rubinchik
Alexeyev-Romanov
Morozov-Zhuravlyov

Kovalenko-Shen-Starkov
Muranov-Galimov-Slepets

When was the last time Russia had this many drafted players on a roster ?especially at forward

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Interesting, I thought Khovanov is the favorite because of his ability to play as a C.

You never know with Bragin, he builds his teams as though he has to play Canada every time they step on the ice - and most of the time they put up a great fight vs Canada, but look helpless vs the Swedes.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Why the coach hold them back? So much defence focus, when they had to play offensive against Swiss, they look ten times better. Same with Canada, when they play more offence, they were able to get Canada under pressure.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Why the coach hold them back? So much defence focus, when they had to play offensive against Swiss, they look ten times better. Same with Canada, when they play more offence, they were able to get Canada under pressure.
Easy, it's the ever porous Russian defense plus that's how Bragin plays, that's how everybody plays in the KHL - not to allow a goal first hand, and Canada makes every turn over count.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
I am not big fan of this style. I remember final from 2002, that was a nice clash between Russia and Canada, lot of offensive talents. I become bigger fan of Russian hockey talents, thank to that game.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
I heard that Bragin gives preference to those players who, in his opinion, have a fighting spirit, lol ... one gold in ten years, seems this philosophy works extremely crap... it may be time to finally involve those who have a higher level of skill in the composition .. .

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I have been asking for a change for awhile.

Problem is that Bragin’s results have been far superior to his predecessors, but I honestly think that he has had superior talent also. He has absolutely had teams that underachieved. This year’s team is another one.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
For sure his gold medal team had many top level talents. For me he is holding kids too much into defence, but to be honest, that is the way most KHL teams play.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Easy, it's the ever porous Russian defense plus that's how Bragin plays, that's how everybody plays in the KHL - not to allow a goal first hand, and Canada makes every turn over count.

I think this is Russian esque to get outshot or heavily pressured then capitalize on a costly mistake with an aggressive counterattack, especially against Canada.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
What do you think needs to change so that we can contend for Gold again? What didn't go quite right for the team this year?

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
I honestly think that more CHL players should be incorporated, and younger players should be considered as well. There's a lot of really high talent out there, I think Russia should be in the Gold Medal game almost every year.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Usually, a disappointing finish by Russia can be attributed to defense, but I don't know if that's the case this year.

They only lost 1 game and I thought D did a solid job in that game.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Usually, a disappointing finish by Russia can be attributed to defense, but I don't know if that's the case this year.

They only lost 1 game and I thought D did a solid job in that game.

I kinda disagree, some of the defensive mistakes were horrendous. If not for Kochetkov it wouldn't have been close vs USA, and who knows if we even get a bronze.
Medal is good, however, I am disappointed with the roster...Starkov, Muranov, Rubinchik, Marchenko, Morozov (F), Kravtsov playing (C), Kostin as a captain, imho all poor decisions, especially post-factum. Not taking Khovanov, Chechkovich, Zavgorodniy, Maksimov, Zamula instead of these bunch of no-names as a bit disappointing. But I am sure it was chewed to death.

Congrats on the medal.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I honestly think that more CHL players should be incorporated, and younger players should be considered as well. There's a lot of really high talent out there, I think Russia should be in the Gold Medal game almost every year.

I disagree. That is like fighting a fire by pouring on more gasoline. First, the availability of Russian players from the CHL is totally under the control of the Canadians who own them. Second, only a few Russian CHL'ers are good enough to theoretically help win a Gold Medal, and I am not aware of a single case where a CHL'er who could have put Gold Medals around Russian necks was ever left off the team. Third, just like their big brothers from the NHL, trying to put together a team that is half Russian hockey and half NHL hockey more often than not will end up in disastrous failure. Look at Russia's disastrous record in the Olympics during the NHL era, after 2002, when the last of the Soviet-trained players was available. No better than a 6th place finish was achieved. If we were to honestly agree that Russia was no better than 6th or 7th in world placing, then that would be satisfactory, but I don't accept that. I think they should build from within Russia, because for CHL and NHL Russians, the success of Russian hockey is a trillion miles below money and fame in their list of priorities. Why would they care at all, particularly if they hope to make a new life in the USA or Canada?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad