Russia National Team discussion thread

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Curious to see, how would you guys rank the Russian goalies currently in the NHL down the road?

Vasilievskiy's probably #1 given how he led Tampa to the Cup, but just realized there's quite a few kids out there who could be studs (Samsonov, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Askarov... also more established guys in Georgiev, Bob, Varlamov, Khudobin [who to be fair caught fire in the Cup run]).

Based on upside, do you guys see anyone capable of challenging Vasilievskiy or is the title of best Russian NHL goalie his for the foreseeable future? Who would be the closest challenger/ next in line to dethrone him?

Let's start off with Florida being a tire fire. So I totally expect Bob geting the flak once again. Part of it he deserves, but only a small part of it. Vasilevskiy certainly surpassed him by riding a huge wave of success as a clear cut #1. If a major tournament started today, Vasilevskiy would be the undisputed starter for Russia. Bob's rep suffered big time though. Not so long ago he would have been in the discussion to start and a lock Top2 guy. IMHO, I would not throw him under tha bus just yet. He is still a two time Vezina winner who decided to play on a bad team for huge money and have a nice time at Florida's beaches. He is paying the price of it right now, but I don't see him falling right to the bottom of the chart because of it.

Behind Vasilevskiy right now is a huge dog-fight area. Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov all due to take starter roles(and run away with them). Btw the dog-fight is real as they will all play against each other a lot in the division. And the nice headache for Russia is they are all great or at least expected to be great.

Shestyorkin has already shown some brilliance and I fully expect him to thrive as a undisputed starter for a team with a lot of growing pains still ans a questionable D. I don't see Georgiev challenging him a lot. Given all Georgiev's credentianls he is still a step behind talent-wise.

Sorokin is in a perfect spot, having Varlamov as a mentor and a fellow Russian to show him around the team and the city and all the things he needs to know about the NHL and living in the US. I've met Varlamov and he comes across as a genuinely nice guy without a huge ego. His career is nearing it's end and he knows that. His health issues have not allowed him to reach his potential, but I think by now he made his peace with that and is happy with how the things work out for him on the Isles. I think they will be a perfect tandem for the Isles with no unnecessary competition due to age difference. Both the team and the guys understand Sorokin is the future and Varlamov will show him the ropes at least this coming season. The other factor is obviously Trotz. His defensive structure just makes it easy for the goalies.

The fact that Sorokin unlike the other two division rivals might start the season and spend stretches of it in a backup role is good for his development, but might hurt his status for many. In his last performances on Team Russia he was nothing short of brilliant though. I have always defended the point that while being different in style Shestyorkin and Sorokin are very much even in talent. I still see them on the same very high level. They certainly are both next in line behind Vasilevskiy and are the ones who would challenge him if he slows down and that "rivalry" between them I expect to cntinue throughut their career.

Samsonov looked a little less mature than Shesryorkin in the NHL, but he is in the same tier as the aforementioned two talent-wise. The unexpected role of a undisputed starter for Washington should be the right challenge at the right time for him. I do expect him to respond accordingly.

Khudobin is basically at his peak. He has a lot of additional qualities to his pure goaltending talent. He is a great teammate and a locker room presence and tremendous hard worker. A humble guy too. Given his age he is of course rather far away from being considered for Team Russia, but I personally would like to have him as a third guy even for a best on best tournament. Just because of those his other qualities. I also think he would make a good coach going forward.

Askarov is a prospect still. His potential obviously suggests he could challenge anyone in the future, but for now he has much to learn still.

For now I'd say:

Best-on-best

Starter - Vasilevskiy
Backups - Bob, Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov whoever is available and in better shape at the moment.

WHC if Vasilevskiy is not available:

Same group as above, but maybe Askarov as no.3.

Last edited:
Reactions: PettersonHughes

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I know with St. Petersburg lobby Askarov is in the equation, but after this WJC where all his weaknesses were exposed and ridden by every opponent, really?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I know with St. Petersburg lobby Askarov is in the equation, but after this WJC where all his weaknesses were exposed and ridden by every opponent, really?
He is leading the KHL stats wise. What SKA lobby could fix that? So even after the poor WJC he is still considered the future. So why wouldn't be a 3rd goalie spot at least in question?

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
He is leading the KHL stats wise. What SKA lobby could fix that? So even after the poor WJC he is still considered the future. So why wouldn't be a 3rd goalie spot at least in question?

I saw him play fairly well for SKA in highlights, but I only saw him in full games for WJC two years going now, where he was exposed pretty badly. I don't consider him lost case, I just think he is very overhyped at this point of his career. Talented a bit raw kid, playing for a very solid team.
But I don't see him in the NT, unless, a 3rd to get experience of a relatively big tournament.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Just give Askarov a chance at the worlds. Askarov-Samonov-tandem. I mean, what can you lose? If they let some easy goals, your forward group will score more. This years tournament will be a snoozer anyways so every country should give a change to young players.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I saw him play fairly well for SKA in highlights, but I only saw him in full games for WJC two years going now, where he was exposed pretty badly. I don't consider him lost case, I just think he is very overhyped at this point of his career. Talented a bit raw kid, playing for a very solid team.
But I don't see him in the NT, unless, a 3rd to get experience of a relatively big tournament.

He melted down in big games where it really counted, when every scout had their eyes on him, seemingly as a continuous pattern from the 2020 WJC. There will certainly be legitimate doubts about him, until he disproves them. He seems to have a particular problem tracking pucks from the blue line when there are bodies stacked in front of him. That is a problem for all goaltenders, to be sure, but his problem seems to be marked and pronounced, and I am not sure how to fix it. He can't have eye transplants! Against Canada, a brutally awful performance by Askarov, he seemed intent on wanting to play without his stick. It looked as though, when the action picked up in front of him, he deliberately got rid of his stick, as if to think that he was better off without it. He has lightning-quick reflexes, good size, and he is very formidable when he has a good view of the puck. But there are a lot of times, over the course of a game, where your instincts have to help you find the puck.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Sweden Hockey Games roster:

GK
Yaroslav Askarov
Alexander Samonov
Daniil Tarasov

D
Alexander Alexeyev
Semyon Chistyakov
Marsel Ibragimov
Kirill Kirsanov
Artyom Minulin
Daniil Misyul
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Daniil Pylenkov
Sergei Zborovskiy
Daniil Zhuravlyov

FW
Zakhar Bardakov
Vladimir Butuzov
Ivan Chekhovich
Nikita Chibrikov
Artyom Galimov
Maxim Groshev
Artur Kayumov
Marat Khusnutdinov
Nikolai Kovalenko
Pavel Kraskovskiy
Vitaliy Kravtsov
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Sergei Shmelyov
Maxim Sorkin
Damir Zhafyarov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Basically it's the B-team with Larionov as the coach.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sweden Hockey Games roster:

GK
Yaroslav Askarov
Alexander Samonov
Daniil Tarasov
D
Alexander Alexeyev
Semyon Chistyakov
Marsel Ibragimov
Kirill Kirsanov
Artyom Minulin
Daniil Misyul
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Daniil Pylenkov
Sergei Zborovskiy
Daniil Zhuravlyov
FW
Zakhar Bardakov
Vladimir Butuzov
Ivan Chekhovich
Nikita Chibrikov
Artyom Galimov
Maxim Groshev
Artur Kayumov
Marat Khusnutdinov
Nikolai Kovalenko
Pavel Kraskovskiy
Vitaliy Kravtsov
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Sergei Shmelyov
Maxim Sorkin
Damir Zhafyarov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Basically it's the B-team with Larionov as the coach.
More like the U21 team with some influx of slightly older players.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Roster update: Artur Kayumov and Artyom Galimov are out; German Rubtsov and Danila Moiseyev are in.
Kinda funny that the Moiseyev(who?) guy was more noticeable and effective on the scoresheet than Mr.IamEntitled-Rubtsov aka former 1st rounder. Especially given their both Vityaz background.

To be fair of course Moiseyev has double the points in the KHL season.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Kinda funny that the Moiseyev(who?) guy was more noticeable and effective on the scoresheet than Mr.IamEntitled-Rubtsov aka former 1st rounder. Especially given their both Vityaz background.

To be fair of course Moiseyev has double the points in the KHL season.

you have tough love feelings towards Rubtsov lol

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I guess Panarin is a no.
In Russia political views do not affect invitations to the NT.

In Russia accusations made in an interview by some former player/coach aren't grounds for executing Order 66 on a guy's career.

I thought that's how it is or should be everywhere.

On a personal note: I dislike Panarin as a person a lot, not for his political stance, but for how he communicates it and how he is either dishonest or if he really believes the dumb stuff he repeats after some least likeable liars and criminals, then he is even dumber than I thought. And for how his actions fall behind his big mouth.

If there is any truth behind Nazarov's statements, they are still just statements so far. Unless the case is investigated this is all hot air, that does not add or subtract to my perception of both Panarin and Nazarov. Both made a name for themselves with me, i.e. like in not being very bright or honest or likeable. I doubt there is an investigation ever as the occurences in question fall under latvian jurisdiction and I doubt Latvia is going to get out of bed to do anything there to investigate a case from 2011 based on Nazarov's rant.

Cherepanov7

Sep 23, 2020
Assuming no NHL participation what do think will Team Russia look like this year? It is a bit unbalanced though, but here is my guess.

Kuzmenko - Shipyachov - Galimov
Tkachev - Zernov - Tolchinsky
Marchenko - Morozov - Podkolzin
Mamin - Shalunov - Okulov
Korshkov/Prokhorkin

D: Ozhiganov, Yokovlev, Yudin, Rafikov, Marchenko, Kadeykin, Sergeyev, Lyamkin

GK: Samonov, Tarasov, Askarov

Cherepanov7

Sep 23, 2020
Assuming no NHL participation what do think will Team Russia look like this year? It is a bit unbalanced though, but here is my guess.

Kuzmenko - Shipyachov - Galimov
Tkachev - Zernov - Tolchinsky
Marchenko - Morozov - Podkolzin
Mamin - Shalunov - Okulov
Korshkov/Prokhorkin

D: Ozhiganov, Yokovlev, Yudin, Rafikov, Marchenko, Kadeykin, Sergeyev, Lyamkin

GK: Samonov, Tarasov, Askarov

With NHL participation:

Panarin - Shipyachov - Dadonov
Kuzmenko - Namestnikov - Buchnevich
Gusev - Zernov - Tolchinsky
Grigorenko - Shalunov - Guryanov

(Morosov - Podkolzin)

D: Kulikov, Zaitsev, Zadorov, Gavrikov, Zub, Provorov, Ozhiganov

(Yokovlev)

GK: Shestyorkin, Georgiev, Askarov

Majkee11

Apr 3, 2021
How do you see the roster for upcoming IIHF World Championships 2021?

my selection would be a mix of skill, experience and strenght:

1. Line: Kirill Marchenko - Vadim Shipachyov - Damir Zhafyarov
2. Line: Andrei Kuzmenko - Ivan Morozov - Yegor Korshkov
3. Line: Artyom Galimov - Nikolai Prokhorkin - Konstantin Okulov
4. Line: Maxim Mamin - Dmitri Voronkov - Vladimir Butuzov
Extra: Sergei Tolchinsky, Sergei Andronov

1. D: Yegor Yakovlev - Igor Ozhiganov
2. D: Alexander Alexeyev - Alexei Marchenko
3. D: Daniil Pylenkov - Bogdan Kiselevich
Extra: Dmitri Yudin

1. G: Alexander Samonov
2. G: Igor Bobkov
3. G: Yaroslav Askarov

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
How do you see the roster for upcoming IIHF World Championships 2021?

my selection would be a mix of skill, experience and strenght:

1. Line: Kirill Marchenko - Vadim Shipachyov - Damir Zhafyarov
2. Line: Andrei Kuzmenko - Ivan Morozov - Yegor Korshkov
3. Line: Artyom Galimov - Nikolai Prokhorkin - Konstantin Okulov
4. Line: Maxim Mamin - Dmitri Voronkov - Vladimir Butuzov
Extra: Sergei Tolchinsky, Sergei Andronov

1. D: Yegor Yakovlev - Igor Ozhiganov
2. D: Alexander Alexeyev - Alexei Marchenko
3. D: Daniil Pylenkov - Bogdan Kiselevich
Extra: Dmitri Yudin

1. G: Alexander Samonov
2. G: Igor Bobkov
3. G: Yaroslav Askarov

Interesting roster. I like the mix of young guys and vets.

I honestly don't know this year. There are a few players that have some experience with the NT like Plotnikov, Telegin, Tkachyov, Mironov, etc. Maybe even Kovalchuk and Datsyuk, who knows?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Roster for the Eurochallenge games Vs. Belarus (23-24 of April):

Goalkeepers: Ivan Bocharov (Dynamo Moscow), Alexander Samonov (SKA), Ivan Fedotov (Traktor).

Defensemen: Viktor Antipin, Igor Ozhiganov, Dinar Khafizullin (all SKA), Yury Pautov, Daniil Pylenkov (both Vityaz), Andrei Sergeev (Dynamo Moscow), Alexei Marchenko, Rushan Rafikov (both Lokomotiv), Yegor Yakovlev, Grigory Dronov (both Metallurg Magnitogorsk).

Forwards: Andrei Kuzmenko, Anton Burdasov, Kirill Marchenko, Ivan Morozov, Emil Galimov, Artyom Shvets-Rogovoi, Vladislav Kamenev, Evgeny Timkin, Vasily Podkolzin (all SKA), Zakhar Bardakov, Danila Moiseev (both Vityaz), Vadim Shipachyov (Dynamo Moscow), Pavel Kraskovsky, Nikolai Kovalenko, Yegor Korshkov, Georgy Ivanov (all Lokomotiv).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad