Russia National Team discussion thread

Discussion in 'Russia' started by Caser, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:

Atas2000 likes this.
  2. Atas2000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    LOL was my first reaction.

Berdin?

Yudin? Like seriously?

At least the SKA vendetta against Shipachyov seems to be over.

This is just awful. I hope the other teams bring some serious rosters amd blast those SKA selccts.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  3. cska78 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    I have laughed out loud, then LOL'd...these bandits are turning everything in Russian hockey into a joke

4. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    Can't agree about Berdin here, as he is the only decent young goalie available (and who won't leave before the end of the season), I can easily imagine it will be him Vs. Askarov for the 3rd goalie spot at the Worlds.

So the GK is the only thing I don't complain about, the D is mostly bad, yes, although I obviously like the inclusion of young guys like Samorukov and Galenyuk. FWs are fine, more or less, maybe except Kamenev, but he was always among Bragin's favourite guys, so I'm not surprised at all, still I'd really like to see Okulov instead.

5. Atas2000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Berdin is just bad. I don't know what's decent about him. He should be nowhere near the NT. Risking being called a homer, but Bilyalov for example is thrice the goalie Berdin is.

Also obviously Askarov should be at least the 3rd goalie for the WHC.

The D overall is not that surprising. Most guys I would expect to be there are there. Still, how is Yudin a NT player? Especially being on the same team wìth Yarullin. Also Lyamkin is inconsistent AF. I would take Mironov over them any day of the week. And obviously AkBars is thinking similar. Our 2nd-3rd pairing D-men are going to the NT. That's funny at best.

As for forwards I find the omission of Chekhovich criminal. He deserves it right now more than half the forwards on that roster.

Also the good'ol hate towards the older Tkachyov is annoying.

6. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    I'm not a fan of Bilyalov at all, not to mention he isn't old, but isn't too young anymore, but I think we can agree about Askarov. As for Berdin, I'm not saying he is decent, just I think we've been spoiled with young high-end goalies like ShestSorokin and others in recent years, but now we're left with what we're left with.

Not sure, but wasn't Chekhovich's loan not until the end of the season? If so, there is no point in calling him up.

Good ol' older Tkachyov isn't that impressing me, I'd prefer Alexeyev then.

7. Atas2000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You should watch Bilyalov play more. He is solid. I am not saying he is the best, but he certainly is worlds better than Berdin and age should not be an issue. It's the senior team. They played Koshechkin at the Olympics ffs. And Berdin is just nowhere near NT level. There are tons of goalies better than him, young or not.

Why shouldn't loans play in this? It's an opportunity for the NT to get familiar with players who otherwise are burried somewhere in NA. I mean Samorukov is on the team and it is one of the brighter spots. Chekhovich seems to be red hot now.

Tkachyov is not, but he is still one the best centers we have.

This tournament might become an embarassment for SKA given other teams are explicitly going with KHLers.

8. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    Just I thought it would make sense for a potential 3rd goalie to be something like U23, but ok, it's just my opinion, as I'm obviously biased towards younger players. Shame that Konovalov is stable at warming the bench and noone heard anything about Kochetkov for quite a long time.

About loans, this tournament is clearly a preparation stage for the World Championships, if the loan is not until the end of the season then there is no point for them to be called up, as they won't be at the WC anyway.

9. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    Ok, we've been heard a bit:

10. Atas2000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yay! LOL

11. Atas2000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Samorukov is a loan too. Chekhovich has 11 pts in his last 10 games. He should be there.

12. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    There are loans that are just until the NHL camp start and there are until the end of the season. I, obviously, don't know all the conditions of loans for Chekhovich and others, but I'm pretty sure it was announced that, among the called up to the team Korshkov is loaned until the end of the season, quick search in twitter showed that Samorukov too, apparently the same with Tarasov. Possibly Chekhovich too, possibly not, not easy to tell nowadays.

13. Tony Piscotta Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Was curious as to the three D from Dinamo Moscow - Mironov, Sergeev, and Zaitsev.

Did they deserve consideration?

14. SoundAndFury Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It's kinda weird you are agitating for Chekhovich but no love for Zhafyarov, who is actually driving that line, anywhere.

Also Berdin's "badness" is overblown, for some reason Atas didn't like him since before he even stepped on the KHL ice, so nothing new there, I suppose. Tarasov's callup is great though, he is one of the very few goalies who performed alright lately.

Maybe Sergeev, he is a righty and having a career season. An underrated guy in general. Others - nah, not really. Mironov is definitively a one-trick pony at this point, Zaitsev just not at NT level.

15. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    I think there are a lot of guys that I would prefer to see before them, for example wouldn't mind giving Tryamkin another chance, maybe Dronov too, Zhuravlyov and Pylenkov from younger guys... ok, maybe would give Zaitsev a consideration, since he is still only 22 and looks kind of better than usual this season, but yeah, not really on the required level.

I can honestly tell that I'm just not a huge fan of Zhafyarov, so that doesn't bother me as much as, for example, absence of Okulov. As for Berdin, I'd say he is pretty bad, looks kind of nervous/shaky like almost every time I see him play, maybe only considering his age he is not so bad, but overall he is so far pretty subpar, at least comparing to my expectations.

16. SoundAndFury Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Berdin could do better but he doesn't have an easy gig this year either. Started the season cold, immediately had to backstop the SKA-COVID team, then actually had a pretty good stretch at the end of October once he got going but played only 2 games since, at least 2-week gap between those.

I'm definitely not saying he played very well or is deserving to be on the NT but saying he is "just bad" is definitely wrong. Pre-season is important to goalies, they take time to get going. Look at Melnichuk, Zagidullin or even Tarasov, they were all spinning tires at the start of their season.

17. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    This season has been complicated for everyone, especially for these guys, yes. I also disagree with "just bad" actually, for me it is more like "below expectations". I'd be ok with Berdin too, since we don't have that much of young goalies available for the Worlds better than him and I prefer the concept of giving the 3rd goalie spot to a U24 player. Still if Tarasov is available he might be a better candidate, although I'm worried that he will get glued to the bench as soon as Metsola returns.

18. Lartsaman Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What about Igor Bobkov? He´s a decent goalie though he played poorly in the national team last season. His GAA in Omsk this season is pretty good right now.

19. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    Bobkov was so pretty good that Avangard had to sign Hrubec (not like that signing looking too good so far though).

20. cska78 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Was Kamenev removed because of his concert attendance?

21. SoundAndFury Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Today's Vityaz - Ava game highlight would answer all your questions regarding why isn't he on the NT. He's a solid goalie until he isn't.

22. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    Just noticed that Torpedo plays in Riga tomorrow, possibly it has also impacted the absence of Zhafyarov and Chekhovich, since the first game is already on Thursday.

23. Atas2000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    That was unexpectedly fun to watch. All four lines were playing some great hockey throughout the tournament. Shipachyov has proven his class in style. Really liked Samorukov. Such a much needed steady presence on the D. Soshnikov - Zernov - Tolchinskiy were flying. Morozov has some playmaking skills, but he needs to not be scared of taking responsibility and shoot it.

24. Caser @RUSProspects

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    IT&T
    Home Page:
    To add to that I'm surprised how I liked Samonov (even though I wanted to see other goalies play too).

25. PettersonHughes Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Curious to see, how would you guys rank the Russian goalies currently in the NHL down the road?

Vasilievskiy's probably #1 given how he led Tampa to the Cup, but just realized there's quite a few kids out there who could be studs (Samsonov, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Askarov... also more established guys in Georgiev, Bob, Varlamov, Khudobin [who to be fair caught fire in the Cup run]).

Based on upside, do you guys see anyone capable of challenging Vasilievskiy or is the title of best Russian NHL goalie his for the foreseeable future? Who would be the closest challenger/ next in line to dethrone him?