Russia Defeats Canada on All Levels in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
Yes, it's exaclty what it is. A gimmick organized by a bunch of europeans for europeans in favour of seeing a european team winning as is everything that's organized by the IIHF. That's all it is. It's not even worthy of the title championship, or hockey. It's the game we made turned into some ****ing pansy show with mandatory visor's, death penalties for fighting, and diving princesses, and it's played on a ****ing soccer field so the russians, the czech's, swede's and every other european team can avoid one of the most important aspect's of the game in physical play. It's a ********* tournament, and I wish to **** canada, and the US for that matter would just leave it to europe to play *****puck amongst themselves, and wait for the real championship every four years, so that they can take each other on in the gold medal game. ****, what a ****ing joke!

As many already pointed - yes we love it! Game of hockey is much more than roughing in the corners, opstruction of the game flow with constant hitting (man, it is more important statistic nowadays that SOGs ), garned with immortal game plan - throw puck away and try to get it back again. :help:

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Hmm. That sounds pretty cool. Oldschool. Canada used to send our best club team to the olympics years ago, before we had a "national team".

That's a dumb idea. Who the heck is gonna watch that?

Gemini

May 12, 2011
only thing that matters.

Why is it that only the latest Can-Rus olympic confrontation matters?

The format sucks anyway, as Canadians are often quick to point out, at least when they lose. The Russians choked, just as Finland did. No way either Russia or Finland should've lost the way they did. Game 2 could've been different. Still, no doubt Team Canada was clearly superior and they're the number 1 hockey country. It's because of this (and because of guys like Don Cherry) that non-Canadians want to see them lose.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If NHL doesnt take part in sochi i hope they go into another lockout, KHL gets all players and NHL is doomed for ever as the best league in the world. How can world's best league even think to not take part of olympics. Thats really, really sad from them.

vezna*

If NHL doesnt take part in sochi i hope they go into another lockout, KHL gets all players and NHL is doomed for ever as the best league in the world. How can world's best league even think to not take part of olympics. Thats really, really sad from them.

wow :shakehead NHL season >>>>>>>>>>>> Olympics. it's sad how none of you overseas understand that most of us would rather have 9 months of NHL over 1 month of Olympics. it's not even close

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
wow :shakehead NHL season >>>>>>>>>>>> Olympics. it's sad how none of you overseas understand that most of us would rather have 9 months of NHL over 1 month of Olympics. it's not even close

Cant be that hard in every 4 years to have olympic break in that league. What the heck is the problem there, its olympics, its biggest thing that there is and will ever be in sports

vezna*

Cant be that hard in every 4 years to have olympic break in that league. What the heck is the problem there, its olympics, its biggest thing that there is and will ever be in sports

except it isn't? stanley cup > olympic gold. every NHL player i've seen asked this question would always rather win the cup

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Considering how much of the world's talent is "drafted" into the NHL, I think it's only fair for the NHL to reciprocate by allowing those countries that trained and nurtured those players to employ them at the Olympics.

It's only once every 4 years.

It raises awareness of hockey and inspires future generations of talent (particularly in emerging hockey areas).

vezna said:
except it isn't? stanley cup > olympic gold. every NHL player i've seen asked this question would always rather win the cup

I bet if you asked if they'd rather have an opportunity to win both, they'd go with that.

Consider that it's a fairly major bargaining chip in the next negotiation between owners and players. They really want to go - and not just the Russians. :P

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Its different thing than olympics. They play full season for it, ofcourse when you think that way its bigger but who is saying they couldn't win both the cup and olympics? What the heck is the problem, i dont see the idea behind not taking part in olympics. You dont haveto blow whole season, just take that olympic break in every 4 years.

If NHL isn't capable for that, it doesnt even deserve to have the best players in their league. It just cant be that hard for them.

Gemini

May 12, 2011
who is saying they couldn't win both the cup and olympics? What the heck is the problem, i dont see the idea behind not taking part in olympics.

Because that Olympic break might have a huge negative effect on your chances to win the Stanley Cup. Teams that don't have to send their players (or don't have to send a lot of players) to the Olympic games benefit at the expense of those that do.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Because that Olympic break might have a huge negative effect on your chances to win the Stanley Cup. Teams that don't have to send their players (or don't have to send a lot of players) to the Olympic games benefit at the expense of those that do.

And that is the reason they are thinking of bailing out of olympics? Wow. Thats what is called "american arrogance". And im NOT calling everyone there arrogant now. :)

Gemini

May 12, 2011
And that is the reason they are thinking of bailing out of olympics? Wow. Thats what is called "american arrogance". And im NOT calling everyone there arrogant now. :)

It's got nothing to do with "American arrogance". NHL is a business. If your team sucks from one year to another the fans who pay your bills stop attending (unless your teams happens to be located either in Montreal or Toronto, in which case you can afford to suck for all eternity and not lose a single paying customer).

Edit: This isn't to say the league should not send players to the Olympics. However, that some people don't want to understand the harsh financial reality is what I'd call "European arrogance".

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Good for the Russians they deserve all the accolades and bragging rights. They have turned the tables on the Canadians and now have that 'find a way to win' attitude that we Canucks used to have and they appear to be more passionate about playing for their national team.

As for the NHL and the Olympics, they had better close down and send their best players. To not do so would be a slap in the face to all hockey fans and be a short sighted move.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
It's got nothing to do with "American arrogance". NHL is a business. If your team sucks from one year to another the fans who pay your bills stop attending (unless your teams happens to be located either in Montreal or Toronto, in which case you can afford to suck for all eternity and not lose a single paying customer).

Edit: This isn't to say the league should not send players to the Olympics. However, that some people don't want to understand the harsh financial reality is what I'd call "European arrogance".

In america that kind of act sells: Just caring about money and yourself in general. If NHL was in europe it would lost massive amount of paying customers if it didint take part in olympics, because here customers see some things more important than their own ass and money. If SM-Liiga didint let Granlund to go WHC now for example or next Olympics, it would be a massive dis agree from all fans.

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
Good on Russia.

I personally preferred the Olympics when it was amateur/college players. Made it much more exciting to me. I get to watch the NHL guys all the time, and they are already basking in their moment of glory and success. Give the amateurs a shot; Olympics isn't meant to be a contest of millionaires.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Good on Russia.

I personally preferred the Olympics when it was amateur/college players. Made it much more exciting to me. I get to watch the NHL guys all the time, and they are already basking in their moment of glory and success. Give the amateurs a shot; Olympics isn't meant to be a contest of millionaires.

I wouldnt call these leagues players amateurs:

KHL
Elitserien
SM-liiga
Swiss league

Other leagues where you can make something like 0,5M USD, they aint amateurs.. And in KHL they make huge amounts. So that kinda of thinking doesnt fit here, they should play really crappy players if they were amateur competitions.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
You must be kidding....

How many thousands if not tens of thousands of posts by venting Canadians did the loses in the WJC U-20 and U-18 create on HF. Not to mention the loss yesterday and now Canadian fans are running around pretending it doesn't matter to them because of the Olympics?

You must be kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad