Russia: Biggest choke/collapse ever?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Couple of points here:

rules are rules, say what you want but they might the right call. Camera in this instance was considered to be a structural object. It is above the ice surface.

from a psych standpoint here, 6-3 might of been a curse for Russia because at that point the pressure to score is immense. We don’t know what would have happened, sure I like their odds but don’t think that a 3 man advantage doesn’t weigh on the mind of any player.

Look we were definitely lucky on the 2nd and I’d say 4th goal, and the call aswell. Blowing a late 2 goal lead tho isn’t great regardless.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
Structural object is integral part of building structure which the camera or any other temporary installed objects like a flag or a poster are not. It was simply a mistake, so everyone should move on.

Reactions: Statsy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Structural object is integral part of building structure which the camera or any other temporary installed objects like a flag or a poster are not. It was simply a mistake, so everyone should move on.
Thank you... I was about to say it... everyone saying a camera in the stands is a structural object is pretty funny.lol Your poster analogy is brilliant. Should use that going forward... 'imagine if the puck hit a TSN poster in the first row'.lol

16w

Jun 23, 2003
despite cheering for canada i thought that the play deserved to be a penalty. nevertheless, i think the rule is in place because it's impossible to extrapolate the trajectory of the puck when it's path has been interrupted.

even if that puck had a 95% chance that the momentum would have carried it out of play had the camera not been there... pucks are also unpredictable and can flop and curve in unexpected ways, so i can see how the rule is in place to prevent hypothetical arguments about elevation angles and drag.

this way is simplest. the puck hits a foreign object and it's dead.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

But a camera or a mic are in IIHF tournaments according to Jyri Rönn, former international referee and current head of officiating in Liiga.

member 305909

Surely there must be a NHL play offs-series where a team is up by 3 games to 0 but the other team has won 4-3.

Surely extremely rare but it must have happened some time.

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014
The year Eberle scored to win it for Canada...after tying it end of game

Russians had an empty net and missed...player on the bench laughing about it...

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I love the complaining that, somehow, the Russians were "jobbed". In not making a call for 2 minute delay, the refs properly applied the rule that the camera is an extension of the glass. No mistake was made. If you're upset about it, you're upset about the rule, not the call.
I’d like to see where this rule is. Even ray on the broadcast said “the camera is positioned behind the glass”. I’m not denying Russia blew the lead. But there’s no denying they got jobbed.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
According to the United Nations Commission on Sports Calamities, the biggest collapse in hockey history is officially certified as Canada's 5-3 loss to Russia in the 2011 World Junior Hockey Championships.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Canada in 2011 was the biggest choke/collapse job in the history of the WJC in the last 20 years.

No, it wasn't the biggest choke job ever.
So which one is it? In the history of the World Juniors, or in the last 20 years? They are not one and the same

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Thank you... I was about to say it... everyone saying a camera in the stands is a structural object is pretty funny.lol Your poster analogy is brilliant. Should use that going forward... 'imagine if the puck hit a TSN poster in the first row'.lol
They consider the jumbotron a structural object, so what gives with your interpretation of the rule. Jumbotron aint part of the structure.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I thought we already put this to bed that by iihf rules that was in fact not delay of game.

Why are people still pretending that Russia lost because of that? They were already losing when the non penalty was correctly not called. Russia lost, GG and move on with your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

member 305909

The thread-title is the biggest exaggeration ever. Being two goals up against Canada with plenty of time left losing is not some miraculous meltdown.

However, since it is juniors and you are likely to represent your country 1-2 times before you are overaged defeat must feel worse than in adults tournaments where there is always the next year.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Yes the thread title is a bit of a non-starter. 2-goal leads are blown just about every day. 3-1 is pretty much the most dangerous lead in hockey. This was not a choke job by the Russians. Russia got a bit lucky early (many PPs, especially the inexplicable Hayton call) that helped them build a lead, and then they got unlucky late with the Camera call. Easy come, easy go. In between Canada got some clutch goals that were the difference.

I'm tired of people talking like the "6-on-3" was a sure thing to tie the game. It was actually a 5-on-3 plus the extra attacker from the pulling the goalie. That means every time Canada got the puck on their sticks they could fire potshots at that empty net without having to worry about icing or the goalie sending it back up. It is just as likely that Canada scores an easy empty net goal on a long shot as it is that Russia scores the tying goal.

Last edited:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Yes the thread title is a bit of a non-starter. 2-goal leads are blown just about every day. 3-1 is pretty much the most dangerous lead in hockey. This was not a choke job by the Russians. Russia got a bit lucky early (many PPs, especially the inexplicable Hayton call) that helped them build a lead, and then they got unlucky late with the Camera call. Easy come, easy go. In between Canada got some clutch goals that were the difference.

I'm tired of people talking like the "6-on-3" was a sure thing to tie the game. It was actually a 5-on-3 plus the extra attacker from the pulling the goalie. That means every time Canada got the puck on their sticks they could fire potshots at that empty net without having to worry about icing or the goalie sending it back up. It is just as likely that Canada scores an easy empty net goal on a long shot as it is that Russia scores the tying goal.
I agree with this. Sure a 6 on 3 sounds like great odds for Russia to score the equalizer, but one clean draw and a clearance could've ended the game just as easily.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The thread-title is the biggest exaggeration ever. Being two goals up against Canada with plenty of time left losing is not some miraculous meltdown.

However, since it is juniors and you are likely to represent your country 1-2 times before you are overaged defeat must feel worse than in adults tournaments where there is always the next year.
Agree. Especially after Canada scored immediately on a shot that redirected significantly multiple times on the way to the net. It was a 1 goal game, or less, for all but those 34 seconds leading to that one.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No. That title still belongs to 2011 Canada.

Russia should have had a 6 on 3, but they were still on the PP and could have tied it up. Instead, they took stupid penalties. And even if they get that call and go 6 on 3, who says they score? End of the day, they were up by 2 with 11 minutes left and let Canada score 3 unanswered in under 5 minutes.

Reactions: Mehar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad