Russia: Biggest choke/collapse ever?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Maybe the Russians score, maybe they don't, but a 6 in 3 would have been huge. They got robbed. Thar puck was over and wasn't deflected, or hit off the glass and a linesman was right there.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I am so happy to post this everywhere right now

View media item 6981
That camera will go down in Canadian history as making one of the most clutch plays EVER at the WJC.

But no, you can never call a comeback from the best hockey country in the world a choke​

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He’s not wrong. That was a game changing non-call. Just goes too show all hockey refs are bad at their jobs.

not necessarily. Canada may have won the draw on the would-be 6 on 3, an iced an empty netter. Or we may have won in OT. Its not like the non-call gave us the lead.

Russia lost because they gave up 3 third period goals which allowed for a bad-luck thing to cost them.

dem da brakes.

Startseva

Dec 30, 2012
Moscow
I would understand if Canada dominated and made dozen chanses to make comeback. They did not. Russia just gave them a gold. I don't know why but that often happens when we have a good team, not in hockey only. Not collapse or choke. The repetition of past mistakes with wich we started to play our 1st game with CZ. Yesterday's game by it's quality by Russia with Sweden was better in this sense. I remember much weaker Russian teams but much better in discipline, like 2016 team. Still temember their goal in final in 3d in last 8 seconds. Was a good team, they did EVERYTHING and still Finland was in some way better. No one would even blame them. But today's team is one of the best teams in past years... so a bit sad to have result like that. We had to win gold.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
The TSN camera in this World Junior final has given the left post of Canada's net in the last minute of the womens Gold Medal final some competition in the "Most iconic inanimate object in Canadian hockey history" discussion.

Reactions: Up the Irons

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
No Russia played great the whole tournament.

My problem with them is that they seem to be unaware of something called "game management" and how penalty calls work. Canadians did, and sold calls well
You must have missed the first period. Russia did quite well at selling calls throughout the game, and the refs were eating it up in the first.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You must have missed the first period. Russia did quite well at selling calls throughout the game, and the refs were eating it up in the first.

Sure but objectively Canada benefited more from the officiating than Russia at the end of the day

I am not saying the refs were biased against Russia, more so game management and favouring the team that was trailing

That and Canadian players have watched enough NHL games to understand this. Russia, did not.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sure but objectively Canada benefited more from the officiating than Russia at the end of the day

I am not saying the refs were biased against Russia, more so game management and favouring the team that was trailing

That and Canadian players have watched enough NHL games to understand this. Russia, did not.

At the end of the day, Canada killed all of the penalties in the first period.

If the Russians had scored 3 or 4 PP goals, the game would have been over already.

Not trying to defend the refs here. They were terrible.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
At the end of the day, Canada killed all of the penalties in the first period.

If the Russians had scored 2 or 3 or 4 PP goals, the game would have been over already.

No. If russia had scored 2 there would have been more make up calls against them and Russia would have sat on the lead

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No. If russia had scored 2 there would have been more make up calls against them and Russia would have sat on the lead

The one thing about IIHF refs is that they aren’t as prone to game management as NHL refs are.

You might argue that in this game, but in general, you can see very lopsided power play opportunities at IIHF tournaments.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The one thing about IIHF refs is that they aren’t as prone to game management as NHL refs are.

You might argue that in this game, but in general, you can see very lopsided power play opportunities at IIHF tournaments.

It happened in the Russia Sweden game and this game

But I haven't watched the bronze medal game and thought Can-Fin was ok. Then again Finland didn't belong

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The non-call was huge. Canada was granted a gigantic of gift of not having to face a 6 on 3 in the dying minutes.

That said, it shouldn't have come down to that. We choked it away.

I'm not upset though. Choke jobs are the norm at WJC. These are kids, still learning to control their emotions and play with poise. As such, it's this same emotion that makes the WJC so entertaining. The abrupt shifts in momentum are fantastic.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
I love the complaining that, somehow, the Russians were "jobbed". In not making a call for 2 minute delay, the refs properly applied the rule that the camera is an extension of the glass. No mistake was made. If you're upset about it, you're upset about the rule, not the call.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not in the ballpark. Sadly 2011 Canada takes the cake for the WJC. 1990/1991 for USSR is up there too.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah, pretty huge chockers. There was an arguably worse chock by them when Canada tied it in the dying seconds and then won in OT when the tournament was hosted in Ottawa a few years back.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't even think it's Russia's biggest choke in the last 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad