Russia: Biggest choke/collapse ever?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'd be embarrassed if one of my teams prospects was on that roster. Thankfully there isn't.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Like others have said Canada’s choke job in 2011 Buffalo was the worst I’ve ever seen at this tournament.

Reactions: Chompchompr

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Depends on when your observation of the sport began and how you define choking. For me choking is a total no-show, and I've seen worse in my 30 years of watching games.

As for today's game, it wasn't a choke, although it was frustrating to see them squander a chance to attempt tying the game with late penalties.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Russia lost to Canada's 7th player ...

bhCVGof.jpg

Reactions: Kurtz

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Sure but objectively Canada benefited more from the officiating than Russia at the end of the day

I am not saying the refs were biased against Russia, more so game management and favouring the team that was trailing

That and Canadian players have watched enough NHL games to understand this. Russia, did not.
Objectively!? We can all play the motivated reasoning game. "It unfairly hurt Canada because a first period of penalty killing (with 4 hrs less rest from yesterday) wore down key players and kept others from getting into the flow". If Russia had used their opportunities better they'd have won. Plenty of luck involved, as is the case in any close game. Pointless trying to calculate who had more, especially while looking at it with a heavy bias.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Who would be shocked if russia was roided. Doping controls in hockey is a joke.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Canada got lucky when their second goal bounced in off a skate (or a shin). That gave them hope and momentum.

I think Russia played well overall. Junior hockey is up and down -- that's why it's so fun to watch.
Russia got lucky on the Denisenko rebound goal because the rebound wasn't controlled well hitting Hofer's neck protector. Your turn. This is so fun.

Your want to talk bad luck, you guys are outraged on a non-call on a puck that was maybe 5 degrees off from being a nice clear. The fact that it hit the camera which is considered in play makes it irrelevant, but you are whining about what would have been a bit of luck. And they'd still have had to score for it to matter.

One thing for the big game only hf boards posters to be sore losers, it's disappointing when the regulars are.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Usually id job on any thread making fun of Russia, but they got boned hard. It is very likely they would have tied the game with the 5 on 3. Not Canada's fault, but hard to really brag about this one too.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
Very silly thread. No choke, it was a close game the whole way. 1990 in Helsinki was by far the biggest 'choke' 5-2 USSR lead against Sweden (who had nothing to play for) late in the third and the Soviets gave it up losing the Gold to Canada.
The Swedish tying goal went in at the buzzer, would have been interesting if there was any instant replay on it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Russia got lucky on the Denisenko rebound goal because the rebound wasn't controlled well hitting Hofer's neck protector. Your turn. This is so fun.

Your want to talk bad luck, you guys are outraged on a non-call on a puck that was maybe 5 degrees off from being a nice clear.

I am not outraged about anything, and I wasn't disrespecting team Canada.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Calling the winning team lucky in an evenly fought game is a bit disrespectful.

It was a lucky goal.

The next two weren’t.

Sometimes you need a little luck.

A lot of hockey is throwing the puck at the net - particularly when the goalies are playing well.

Reactions: Altimus

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
A missed call didn't lose anyone the game. Giving up three straight 3rd period goals did.

Huge collapse, just like Canada in 2011. Hard to say what one is bigger, but that was fun.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It was a lucky goal.

The next two weren’t.

Sometimes you need a little luck.

A lot of hockey is throwing the puck at the net - particularly when the goalies are playing well.
Sure, that's my point. If you want to call that lucky you could go back and dissect other things that happened the other way and do the same (early post by Foudy?).

I recommend saying "good game" in the handshake line, not "you were lucky".

Reactions: NyQuil

Jan 21, 2018
Canada against Russia in buffalo was the biggest choke in recent memory.

I need to rewatch that game just in case there’s a camera somewhere that i can blame that loss on.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Usually id job on any thread making fun of Russia, but they got boned hard. It is very likely they would have tied the game with the 5 on 3. Not Canada's fault, but hard to really brag about this one too.

They had a 5 on 3 pp and then they took 2 bone headed penalties. What game did you watch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad