Runblad, Cumiskey or pickem(IceHog)?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
What if they roll 7 defenseman, bench Desi. Give Timmo all the D starts and Rundy/Cummer all the O starts. Gotta be someway to get another 5-7 min of icetime from the collective group. They're deep enough at forward to roll 11. Vermy and TT alone could get up to the 16-18min of ice-time. TT especially deserves it.

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-Oduya
Kimmo-Cumiskey/Rund

na not worth it, Q needs to grow a pair and let Kimmo play 8-10 minutes....

Keith-Cumiskey
Oduya-hammer
Kimmo-Seabrook

when Q shortens the d time go with the top four....

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
yeah, but thats practice. Want to know what happens during the game and I imagine that he'll see the ice with Keith

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Play Roszival for 12 games in 3 months, then 0 games for over a month and see how he would have done.

Rundblad isn't great, but he's fine if he's given the consistent minutes to find himself. When he doesn't get them he's not very good (like a lot of lower level players).

I'm in favor of not playing him (now) but he should have been playing over Roszival the entire season. There was literally no reason, at the time, to play Rosy over him. None. Zero. Zilch.

But there was every reason to play Roszival over Rundblad in the playoffs.

And this played out exactly how I thought it would. Give Rundblad a chance, he screwed it up (big time), and go with Cumiskey. Should have went with Cumiskey from the start.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
But there was every reason to play Roszival over Rundblad in the playoffs.

And this played out exactly how I thought it would. Give Rundblad a chance, he screwed it up (big time), and go with Cumiskey. Should have went with Cumiskey from the start.

I for one am shocked that a player that hasn't played an NHL game in months was rusty and made some mistakes in a game in the WCF. I was totally expecting perfection.

Oh well, we'll certainly be guaranteed mistake-free hockey from a guy who hasn't played in even longer, and played all of 7 NHL games this year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I for one am shocked that a player that hasn't played an NHL game in months was rusty and made some mistakes in a game in the WCF. I was totally expecting perfection.

Oh well, we'll certainly be guaranteed mistake-free hockey from a guy who hasn't played in even longer, and played all of 7 NHL games this year.

He played the same way he has played the entire year. You can call it rust, I will call it the way it is, Rundblad being Rundblad.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yeah, I diddnt really see anything that looked too different from Rundblad's game from what I've seen in the regular season. He is the exact opposite of what the Hawks need from that last dman. All the Hawks need is 9-10 minutes of just playing responsible defense and not getting burned. Nothing too fancy. Rundblad is good in the offensive zone, but his defensive game is still suspect. I think Cumiskey is a better option but then again not really by that much, and its very possible he wont be better. Wish the Hawks would have shelved Johns at the end of that playoff series. I've seen alot of him in RFD. I know throwing him in for his first game in the WCF is rough, but I do think he would have been alot better in the #6 role than anything we currently have.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm sure I'll get killed by a few of this, but I'd like to see Kimmo play 12-15 minutes. He's obviously lost a step (or two), but he's a smart player and hasn't made many mistakes in his very limited time. Q obviously doesn't trust him at all, so I doubt it happens.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Wish the Hawks would have shelved Johns at the end of that playoff series. I've seen alot of him in RFD. I know throwing him in for his first game in the WCF is rough, but I do think he would have been alot better in the #6 role than anything we currently have.

I agree but he did get hurt. Pokka would be my choice to come in and play but that is just me (Johns was my first choice). I still think we can win with our current D as long as we get back to playing our game and capitalize on our chances.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I agree but he did get hurt. Pokka would be my choice to come in and play but that is just me (Johns was my first choice). I still think we can win with our current D as long as we get back to playing our game and capitalize on our chances.

I know the idea of 7 defenseman has been kicked around here, but I really think it wouldn't have been a bad idea to sit Desi tonight and have the combo of Pokka/Cumiskey as the #6 and see who runs with it. Yeah Desi deserves to play, but it's alot less risky from the Hawks stand point to sit him down for a game, IMO. Obviously they're not 100% confident in Cumiskey and the Hawks cant be giving up gimme goals to this team. Another defensive option wouldn't hurt.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I know the idea of 7 defenseman has been kicked around here, but I really think it wouldn't have been a bad idea to sit Desi tonight and have the combo of Pokka/Cumiskey. Yeah Desi deserves to play, but it's alot less risky from the Hawks stand point to sit him down for a game, IMO. Hawks cant be giving up gimme goals to this team.

I am not a fan of it but has Cumiskey every played wing?

JohnnyZ

Dec 27, 2013
Chicago, IL
Please forgive my naivety (or if this question has been answered already), but how important is the final defensive paring to a team?

Are the Hawks really going to lose a series to a hard hitting forecheck style team because they're taking runs at their top 4 and wearing them down?

Because of 2 guys who maybe share 20 minutes tops?

Kimmo Timonen, who is too slow for today's forwards and inexperienced D-men who just can't seem to clear the puck off the glass/stay at home. AND JUST PLAY DEFENSE.

The forwards are brilliant on this team. Stanley Cup brilliant. The puck possession/SAT alone should guarantee goals. Enough goals to combat average goaltending. Sometimes, though, I see these final 2 guys filling in the last D-pairing on the ice and I can't believe how bad they are.

Is it plausible the Hawks could lose the chance at another cup because of 2 guys?

Forgive me if I sound ridiculous, these are just my sentiments.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Please forgive my naivety (or if this question has been answered already), but how important is the final defensive paring to a team?

Are the Hawks really going to lose a series to a hard hitting forecheck style team because they're taking runs at their top 4 and wearing them down?

Kimmo Timonen, who is too slow for today's forwards and inexperienced D-men who just can't seem to clear the puck off the glass/stay at home. AND JUST PLAY DEFENSE.

The forwards are brilliant on this team. Stanley Cup brilliant. The puck possession/SAT alone should guarantee goals. Enough goals to combat average goaltending. Sometimes, though, I see these final 2 guys filling in the last D-pairing on the ice and I can't believe how bad they are.

Is it plausible the Hawks could lose the chance at another cup because of 2 guys?

In a parity league every position matters. The difference between winning and losing against quality opposition is already razor thing and often comes down to luck. Any disadvantage, no matter how minor, can be exploited or have a cumulative negative impact over time.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

We just witnessed it on Sunday in game 1. If it can happen once, as it did in game one, it can happen in 4 games.... meaning elimination.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Cumiskey was fine, just a little weird that he got a lower TOI% than Rundblad.

Timonen got better as the game went on. Maybe that's a result of other players slowing down and coming back to his speed, or maybe his argument in the media is true, that sitting on the bench for 5-10 minutes at a time and then playing a shift here or there is harder than playing a more regular shift.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
It's harder when you played your whole career 20 or more minutes a game. That's why it may be a good idea to give him 1-2 more shifts in period 1 & 3

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
When was Timonen getting better? He was getting ragdolled behind the net a few minutes before Krugers goal.

Timonens legs aren't there and 5 more minutes a game isn't going to help.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Cummer was fine other than that egregious turnover he had in the 2nd OT (I think it was). Perry shanked it wide all I remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad