Speculation: Rumours/Speculation/General Discussion XVI - Be a GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Well, I think you are wrong.

I believe 100% that the Flames want Russell back, in fact I'd make you a bet that he is not traded at all, but what complicates things is if the 2 parties cannot reach a deal that works for both sides. In that case, I believe there is a chance he is dealt.

I've heard from multiple reliable media sources that the Flames want Russell back, including Russell himself and Treliving. So you can take that for however you want to.

All comes down to how much money and how much term. If he's willing to do a sweetheart deal, then I have no doubt we'll keep him.

I wonder if Wideman will be more difficult to trade now

For the trade deadline? Most likely. I still think if he's going to be moved it will be at the draft or a few days after free agency settles and teams strike out on the UFA's they want.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Just trade Russell as a rental, then re-sign him in the summer.

Gets the Flames picks, and gets Russell a chance to showcase what he can do on a better team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
All comes down to how much money and how much term. If he's willing to do a sweetheart deal, then I have no doubt we'll keep him.

Curious question, are you technically allowed to extend a player at a salary AAV lower than the previous contract?

FA signings, yeah, no prob. But I'm curious specifically about extensions. Can't find the right search terms to find my own answer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Curious question, are you technically allowed to extend a player at a salary AAV lower than the previous contract?

FA signings, yeah, no prob. But I'm curious specifically about extensions. Can't find the right search terms to find my own answer.
Yes an extension can be lower. Matt Stajan re-signed at a lower AAV before he reached free agency.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
One thing I'd like to see is us re-signing Jiri for 1 year, just to see Eric Francis eat a pile of crow on live TV.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Calgary Flames, sitting eight points out of a playoff spot in the Pacific after Tuesday night's games, are almost certainly not going to make the postseason this year. They join the Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers as the only two teams in the West that are well and truly out of it barring some sort of miracle late-season run. As a result, and like those other teams, people are now starting to think about what Calgary GM Brad Treliving will reasonably have to do with the crop of pending UFAs the team has on the roster.

On Insider Trading this week, Bob McKenzie reported that the Flames are starting to get calls from other clubs about the availability of Jiri Hudler, who's in a down year, just turned 32, and will be looking for a new contract from somebody this summer.

Likewise, on Sportsnet 960 Monday morning, Elliotte Friedman imparted that he imagines other teams would kick the tires on trading for Hudler or defenseman Kris Russell.

Discuss.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I think Wideman being out is the best thing for us. Makes it harder to win games so we can get a higher pick. In all honesty this year we won't make it. We need to ship out some vets for some younger pieces and retool in the summer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Wideman being out is the best thing for us. Makes it harder to win games so we can get a higher pick. In all honesty this year we won't make it. We need to ship out some vets for some younger pieces and retool in the summer.
that is a loser mentality, it's the way the Oilers, Islanders and Panthers have thought for the last decade :shakehead

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
that is a loser mentality, it's the way the Oilers, Islanders and Panthers have thought for the last decade :shakehead

This is a pretty ignorant statement. Your entitled to your opinion and interpretation, but I assure you that is not my view like you are suggesting. All teams have off years and get exposed for there weaknesses. That's what's happening this year. We have played the majority of this season and are still a bottom team. We are getting to the point where the deadline is coming and we don't have the luxury of time. GM's are evaluating their teams and are going to move out players and assets that aren't part of their building blocks for their future. Why wouldn't the Flames be one of these teams? How does this make them losers? They have been doing it for several years already. Moving out Iginla, Bouwmeester, Glencross, ect and bringing in prospects and assets that have helped this team to be a young exciting team that had success for a period of time. This needs to continue in order to have long lasting success. So based on the circumstances that have been dealt to the Flames this year, we aren't having the success and therefore don't have the same opportunities we did last deadline. How is a suspension of a player comparable to how other teams have mismanaged their organizations. I should also point out that two of those teams you mentioned are now top contenders because of high draft picks and young players they acquired by trading UFA's that didn't fit in their future plans. You need to shake your head at yourself and realize that just because the Oilers haven't been successful doesn't mean that other teams haven't done that before and become competitive. Look at Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and LA who were at the bottom for a while and all have Stanley cups now. The reason the Oilers haven't been successful is because they had a bad owner who had loyalty to a poor management/coaching team. When you look at the teams who haven't been successful at rebuilding its very clear it is ownership that makes bad decisions. Our ownership and management is very knowledgeable and I have every confidence in them to rebuild the right way. I'm saying this circumstance now puts us at a disadvantage for icing a winning team now, but could end up being beneficial in the long run. Wanting the highest pick possible is not a loser view, its asset management. If we get a high pick based on standings because of a poor year its not a bad consolation prize. You focused on the team that rebuilt the wrong way rather than the teams that did it the right way. So if you expect the results to be like the unsuccessful teams rather than the successful ones, than you my friend, have the loser mentality.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The only downfall to trading the UFA's and playing more kids is that I think we would win more games without them.
giphy.gif

If the Flames are serious about tanking, they should not only keep Russell, but make him and Wideman the top pairing. And make the top line Raymond-Colborne-Hudler. While playing Hiller every game from now on.

Top lottery odds guaranteed.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
giphy.gif

If the Flames are serious about tanking, they should not only keep Russell, but make him and Wideman the top pairing. And make the top line Raymond-Colborne-Hudler. While playing Hiller every game from now on.

Top lottery odds guaranteed.

Imagine the scores in those games with Russell/Wides bleeding chances against top lines and Gio/Brodie absolutely laying waste to supporting players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad