Speculation: Rumours/Speculation/General Discussion XVI - Be a GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Puljujarvi's value isn't going to be fully measured by numbers anyways. He's that Marian Hossa type that just makes good things happen on the ice every shift.

This is a good comparison. Dominant 200 ft winger. Bigger, faster, stronger then anyone on the ice. Yet still puts up 70 points a year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Even if the proposal is intriguing, the Flames won't trade Monahan for third overall, even if they lucked out and got the first overall pick but the "magic beans" 'argument' is asinine at best. It's lazy thought killing obtuseness, and that's being generous.

It's that logic that would suggest the Flames were absolute morons for not trading 'too small to succeed against NHL'ers' Gaudreau and the 6th overall 'magic bean' (Monahan) for Seguin when they had the chance. Funnily enough, most people are pretty glad that deal didn't happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even if the proposal is intriguing, the Flames won't trade Monahan for third overall, even if they lucked out and got the first overall pick but the "magic beans" 'argument' is asinine at best. It's lazy thought killing obtuseness, and that's being generous.

It's that logic that would suggest the Flames were absolute morons for not trading 'too small to succeed against NHL'ers' Gaudreau and the 6th overall 'magic bean' (Monahan) for Seguin when they had the chance. Funnily enough, most people are pretty glad that deal didn't happen.

Not really. We're talking here about a one-for-one deal involving players that are highly comparable except three years age difference. Think Seguin for Gaudreau or Seguin for Monahan (from Dallas' perspective). Seguin for Gaudreau/Monahan would be like pondering Monahan for both of the Finns, which is a much different proposition. I feel like that would be a very different conversation.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not really. We're talking here about a one-for-one deal involving players that are highly comparable except three years age difference. Think Seguin for Gaudreau or Seguin for Monahan (from Dallas' perspective). Seguin for Gaudreau/Monahan would be like pondering Monahan for both of the Finns, which is a much different proposition. I feel like that would be a very different conversation.

It'd be 3rd overall plus for Monahan, like Rychel as mentioned previously. So same thing.

But that's not even the point. It's 'unproven' for 'proven', and suggesting that it never makes sense that's the issue. Sometime it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
If you land Matthews, you're set up really nicely to contend for a cup.

1/2/3 punch down the middle of Monahan/Matthews/Backlund
1/2/3 punch on the blueline with Giordano/Brodie/Hamilton
1/2 punch of Gaudreau/Bennett on the wing. (assuming Bennett plays wing)

Just really need to figure out the goaltending.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
As much as I would trade my left nut to get either Pulju or Laine on this team, and believe me as I Finn and Flames fan this would be a dream, I would not trade Monahan to get either of those guys.

Like many have said, Monahan has already proven himself and is on a path to become an elite C. Neither of those Finns have proven anything yet in the NHL and as much as Im buying into the hype, there is a good chance they could bust. Look at the hype Granlund (Wild) had before coming over and he has struggled to live up to that.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
This is all built on the assumption that Pulju/Laine are just hype. What if you're wrong and they are both superstars? Then you and the rest of the 'keep Monahan crowd' look like fools.
Again. It comes down to evaluating talent. These guys blew McDavids/ Crosbys WJC numbers out of the water. They made Strome and Marner look pretty average in comparison. Both are almost young enough to be draft eligible in 2017!!!!!

If that doesn't scream elite then I don't know what does.

Well, at least you admit that you don't know what.

Because a 10 game or so sample size never does.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
I´d love to see Nakadal play if Wideman gets suspended. But I don´t think that this will happen.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think this season's done, you can stick a fork in it. Way too much room between 3rd in the division and the wild-card for the Flames now. Barring a 5-10 game win steak (but seriously, this team doesn't seem to be able to even win two in a row) this team'll be a bottom team and lotto pick.

To be honest, I think that's the best thing for them. Clearly there's not enough skill and not enough heart on this team this year. Last year, you felt like each player would give up an arm just to win a puck battle, this year it's been pretty pedestrian almost throughout the entire lineup. It just won't cut it. I'd be all for moving pieces just to bring kids up; that way at least if we're losing they're at least getting some experience; and you know a guy who wants to be in the NHL is going to give it his all. When guys are playing for jobs, it really does make the entire team push harder.

It'd be interesting if Calgary won the lotto; or got 2/3rd. I'd love to see some Burke magic and take both the Finns.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I do not recall, but if there is a suspension does he not still count against the roster limit?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It'd be 3rd overall plus for Monahan, like Rychel as mentioned previously. So same thing.

But that's not even the point. It's 'unproven' for 'proven', and suggesting that it never makes sense that's the issue. Sometime it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Treliving and Burke are big big big on Monahan and IMO rightfully so. Monahan is not a prima Donna like many of the other stars in the league. He is molded after Toews (Mr. Serious)... Great work ethic.. Relatively humble.

That said I think the only way Monahan moves before he is 27 is if the Flames have an opportunity for McDavid or Taveres. Toews, Malkin, Stamkos are all too old for the Flames age group.

Any talk about trading Monahan is pipe dreams.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Apparently Rick Ball said the Flames are definitely trying to resign Russell. So I am thinking that means Hudler, Jones and probably Wideman (if he's not suspended) are all available and likely trade bait.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Apparently Rick Ball said the Flames are definitely trying to resign Russell. So I am thinking that means Hudler, Jones and probably Wideman (if he's not suspended) are all available and likely trade bait.

What is said in the media is far from the reality in the GM's office. Allot of these leaks are posturing to get better trade offers. With the depth Calgary has on D I can't see the Flames resigning Russell. Yes he is a home town boy, yes he likely wants to stay, but the long and short of it is if they want to keep Nakladal and give the younger guys a shot a few of these older Dmen have to be moved.

Jones, Hudler, Russell and a few others will be traded by the 29th. The Flames are still in rebuilding mode and will get all the assets they can at this point.

IMO if the Flames remain this far out of a playoff spot for another couple weeks you will see Raymond sent down to the AHL and some older players moved to make room for the future.

BTW: Russell likely can garner a 2nd rounder.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What is said in the media is far from the reality in the GM's office. Allot of these leaks are posturing to get better trade offers. With the depth Calgary has on D I can't see the Flames resigning Russell. Yes he is a home town boy, yes he likely wants to stay, but the long and short of it is if they want to keep Nakladal and give the younger guys a shot a few of these older Dmen have to be moved.

Jones, Hudler, Russell and a few others will be traded by the 29th. The Flames are still in rebuilding mode and will get all the assets they can at this point.

IMO if the Flames remain this far out of a playoff spot for another couple weeks you will see Raymond sent down to the AHL and some older players moved to make room for the future.

BTW: Russell likely can garner a 2nd rounder.

Well, I think you are wrong.

I believe 100% that the Flames want Russell back, in fact I'd make you a bet that he is not traded at all, but what complicates things is if the 2 parties cannot reach a deal that works for both sides. In that case, I believe there is a chance he is dealt.

I've heard from multiple reliable media sources that the Flames want Russell back, including Russell himself and Treliving. So you can take that for however you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad