Speculation: Rumours/Speculation/General Discussion XVI - Be a GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trading vets won't destroy the team.

What veterans are actually an integral part of this team outside of Gio?

How much worse could this team be without the likes of Wideman, Hudler or Russell? None of them are lighting the world on fire. To not get rid of them would be incredibly stupid asset management.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What veterans are actually an integral part of this team outside of Gio?

How much worse could this team be without the likes of Wideman, Hudler or Russell? None of them are lighting the world on fire. To not get rid of them would be incredibly stupid asset management.

Plus, how many times have we seen teams trade players at, or near, the deadline, and then bring in young players that provide a spark to the team.

Plus we have to see what Agostino, Poirier and Grant can do at the NHL level. Might as well do it now while we have nothing to lose.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Hey guys, Devils fan here with a question for you. What happened to Drew Shore? I saw on hockeydatabase he hasn't played this year. Im guessing he's hurt, if so, how bad is it?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
giphy.gif

If the Flames are serious about tanking, they should not only keep Russell, but make him and Wideman the top pairing. And make the top line Raymond-Colborne-Hudler. While playing Hiller every game from now on.

Top lottery odds guaranteed.
Hartley's ahead of you. Russell gets a bit more ES TOI/Game than Giordano.

Wideman's ES ice time has dropped fair mount since the start of the season, however, and his suspension isn't going to fix it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just throwing something out there.

I will preface this by saying I do not feel this is a good idea, nor do I think it was deliberate.

Should Wideman be suspended for the 20 games (or more) and the management group feels it was intentional, do you think it is a possibility Wideman could be bought out at season's end?

A buyout would carry a cap hit of $1,250,000 next year and $2,000,000 the following year. Due to his contract being back loaded year 1 of the buyout is almost as low as buying out Smid.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Oskar Lindblom for Rasmus Andersson? One poster on the main boards said you guys needed more wing depth

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
A buyout would carry a cap hit of $1,250,000 next year and $2,000,000 the following year. Due to his contract being back loaded year 1 of the buyout is almost as low as buying out Smid.

I´d rather have him knock out the hole ref squad than playing smid 70+ games :laugh:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

I will preface this by saying I do not feel this is a good idea, nor do I think it was deliberate.

Should Wideman be suspended for the 20 games (or more) and the management group feels it was intentional, do you think it is a possibility Wideman could be bought out at season's end?

Wouldn't you rather take on salary and trade to get something in return. I would imagine there would be takers at just under 3 million a year.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Also, no comment whether he meant to do it or not, so purely from the rules point of view.

If he was suspended for 20 games I'd think a termination of contract (like LA did with Richards) could be possible if the management thinks Wideman is not needed anymore. That would save cap more than regular buyout. Would CBA allow it? :help:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wouldn't you rather take on salary and trade to get something in return. I would imagine there would be takers at just under 3 million a year.
the cap problem will just for the one year, trading him at a $3 million cap hit would still carry a 2.25 million cap hit. Plus the Flames have never retained salary, I don't think it is about to start now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also, no comment whether he meant to do it or not, so purely from the rules point of view.

If he was suspended for 20 games I'd think a termination of contract (like LA did with Richards) could be possible if the management thinks Wideman is not needed anymore. That would save cap more than regular buyout. Would CBA allow it? :help:
CBA won't allow it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I mean could they, yes. That doesn't seem like a very 'flamesy' thing to do to me though. If anything I think they will either a) stay quiet about it. Or b) defend him to some extent.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
has Lindbolm's stock risen that dramatically? He was a 5th round pick not that long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad