Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Y’all got any more of that Cracknell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jesus, not even Raptors are getting over a million, and they are the defending champs.

No Kawhi likely means they aren't getting the same tier of ratings. If they make it to the Eastern Conference Finals, likely a lot of bandwagoners jump back on.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Not surprising. The Stars and Islanders aren’t exactly going to draw big numbers. The big market teams are all gone. It especially didn’t help that us, Toronto, Nashville, and Pittsburgh went out in the gimmick round.
Oilers are not a big market team.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Looks like Avs fans want to cut Tyson Jost loose, sounds like he suffers from the Sam Gagner problem small guy who doesn't skate well enough and they've got a plenitude of skilled players he's just considered disposable excess.

I definitely liked him a lot when I watched him as a college player, NHL viewings have been more mixed, but even then I see elements I like, perusing the analytics on him there is some reason to think he's not a lost cause. His even strength goal differential went from -7, to even, to +12 in successive seasons, his CF% also improved in successive seasons (though the improvement was quite modest). His even strength shots per 60 went up by 23.5% from last year to this year despite seeing a greater proportion of defensive zone starts (truly terrible on the faceoff BTW, but I see him as a winger anyway). On his career he also has 234% more takeaways than giveaways.

Anyone want to take a chance on him?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers are not a big market team.

For NBA basketball or NFL football or a Hollywood movie premiere ... sure it's not a big market.

For *ice hockey* though, you're talking about the upper half of Alberta being over 2 million people. Edmonton's not a small market as far as the NHL goes. It's not 1995 anymore.

Reactions: yukoner88

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Looks like Avs fans want to cut Tyson Jost loose, sounds like he suffers from the Sam Gagner problem small guy who doesn't skate well enough and they've got a plenitude of skilled players he's just considered disposable excess.

I definitely liked him a lot when I watched him as a college player, NHL viewings have been more mixed, but even then I see elements I like, perusing the analytics on him there is some reason to think he's not a lost cause. His even strength goal differential went from -7, to even, to +12 in successive seasons, his CF% also improved in successive seasons (though the improvement was quite modest). His even strength shots per 60 went up by 23.5% from last year to this year despite seeing a greater proportion of defensive zone starts (truly terrible on the faceoff BTW, but I see him as a winger anyway). On his career he also has 234% more takeaways than giveaways.

Loosely translated to someone who never has the puck lol.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
For NBA basketball or NFL football or a Hollywood movie premiere ... sure it's not a big market.

For *ice hockey* though, you're talking about the upper half of Alberta being over 2 million people. Edmonton's not a small market as far as the NHL goes. It's not 1995 anymore.
I would say all Canadian teams are essentially middle of the pack now, outside of Montreal/Toronto, and I would put the Canucks ahead of rest. I’d rank the rest EDM/Cal/Win because they have such crazed fan bases and a large media attention. The NHL got what it wanted in the play ins with Montreal and Chicago getting in, but didn’t get what it wanted with Toronto/Mcdavid out, NYR also.

Now they start a final four without Crosby/Ovechkin/Mackinnon/Mcdavid/Matthews

Arguably the most recognizable name that’s left is probably Seguin, and he’s not really a legitimate superstar, and Stamkos and he’s not even playing.

The NHL essentially has nothing to draw in the casual fan right now.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Huh? In terms of number of fans the Oilers are likely top 5 in the league. Not sure how they could be called a small market team when they make more money than most of the teams in the league.
In team valuations by Forbes in 2018 the Oilers ranked 14, obviously the Rangers first and Montreal/Toronto being the other 2 over a billon $. Calgary ranked 20th for reference. The Oilers have a very large local fanbase, but don’t have a large external fan base, but I think that could change with Mcdavid. Edmonton itself isn’t a large city when compared to other cities as well.

So definitely not a big market, but also not a small market, as the valuation suggests they are right in the middle.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I would say all Canadian teams are essentially middle of the pack now, outside of Montreal/Toronto, and I would put the Canucks ahead of rest. I’d rank the rest EDM/Cal/Win because they have such crazed fan bases and a large media attention. The NHL got what it wanted in the play ins with Montreal and Chicago getting in, but didn’t get what it wanted with Toronto/Mcdavid out, NYR also.

Now they start a final four without Crosby/Ovechkin/Mackinnon/Mcdavid/Matthews

Arguably the most recognizable name that’s left is probably Seguin, and he’s not really a legitimate superstar, and Stamkos and he’s not even playing.

The NHL essentially has nothing to draw in the casual fan right now.

Hold up. You mean ... the playoffs are still going? Honestly have had no clue (nor given a flying one) since the Oilers dropped a turd in the play in round.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Just looked at who's still in it. The Islanders and three sun belt teams. Gary Bettman's dream!

I'll be back to watching EPL next weekend.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In team valuations by Forbes in 2018 the Oilers ranked 14, obviously the Rangers first and Montreal/Toronto being the other 2 over a billon $. Calgary ranked 20th for reference. The Oilers have a very large local fanbase, but don’t have a large external fan base, but I think that could change with Mcdavid. Edmonton itself isn’t a large city when compared to other cities as well.

So definitely not a big market, but also not a small market, as the valuation suggests they are right in the middle.

The only teams that have a large external fanbase are the Leafs and Habs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All of the original 6 teams have massive external fan bases.

Boston maybe but like teams like the Rangers no one gives a crap. Chicago got a big bump because they won 3 Cups but before that?

Hockey is very regional.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Boston maybe but like teams like the Rangers no one gives a crap. Chicago got a big bump because they won 3 Cups but before that?

Hockey is very regional.

The original 4 US teams have huge fan bases across the US. So do the Flyers and Buffalo, two teams from the early expansion days. Go to any game in the sun belt (or anywhere for that matter) and often there are nearly as many fans cheering the original 4 US teams and I believe the US national ratings support that as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The original 4 US teams have huge fan bases across the US. So do the Flyers and Buffalo, two teams from the early expansion days. Go to any game in the sun belt (or anywhere for that matter) and often there are nearly as many fans cheering the original 4 US teams and I believe the US national ratings support that as well.

US TV ratings nationally for the NHL are laughably bad, the NHL has very little non-regional pull in the US. It's nothing like the NBA which has teams like the Lakers and Warriors that have legit national followings or ditto for many NFL teams or the Yankees/Red Sox.

Even for teams like the Blackhawks, the Cup Finals ratings outside of the Chicago market and whatever market they were playing against were really bad in the US.

Counter that with the Oilers-Flames exhibition game drawing a monstrous 5.6 million viewers in Canada, which is about the same as the Stanley Cup finals did last year, lol.

Outside of Southern Ontario and the Montreal region, as far as ice hockey goes I think Alberta and specifically the upper half of Alberta is the third largest actual hockey market.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Just looked at who's still in it. The Islanders and three sun belt teams. Gary Bettman's dream!

I'll be back to watching EPL next weekend.
Everyone should be happy to see the Islanders succeed, they're one of the products of the WHA.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If the NHL isn't getting good ratings during it's featured portion (playoffs), I'm not sure how anyone can expect a big bump for a regular season. As for putting a certain amount of fans in the seats, I wonder how they are going to work that out? Perhaps a lottery for home games? (The Oilers sure know how to do those right. lol) And I wonder what the fan experience is going to be like, where everyone has to stay clear of everyone else in the building, wearing a mask at all times except when you pull it down to take a sip of beer or take a bite of a hotdog.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
US TV ratings nationally for the NHL are laughably bad, the NHL has very little non-regional pull in the US. It's nothing like the NBA which has teams like the Lakers and Warriors that have legit national followings or ditto for many NFL teams or the Yankees/Red Sox.

Even for teams like the Blackhawks, the Cup Finals ratings outside of the Chicago market and whatever market they were playing against were really bad in the US.

Counter that with the Oilers-Flames exhibition game drawing a monstrous 5.6 million viewers in Canada, which is about the same as the Stanley Cup finals did last year, lol.

Outside of Southern Ontario and the Montreal region, as far as ice hockey goes I think Alberta and specifically the upper half of Alberta is the third largest actual hockey market.

Whose comparing hockey to other sports? I’m talking about hockey teams only.

Its a fact that the Original 6 teams have huge followings outside their markets.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Whose comparing hockey to other sports? I’m talking about hockey teams only.

Its a fact that the Original 6 teams have huge followings outside their markets.

Except it isn't a fact. The NHL ratings in the US are laughably bad when you look at non-regional ratings.

Just because every 2nd person in Canada has " that one weirdo random friend who's a Red Wings/Blackhawks/Bruins fan" doesn't mean that's widespread elsewhere. The TV ratings certainly don't back it up.

Even in Canada, no Canadian broadcaster would chose to show say Boston Vs. Chicago instead of even Winnipeg Vs. Vegas, the ratings would simply be lower.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Except it isn't a fact. The NHL ratings in the US are laughably bad when you look at non-regional ratings.

Just because every 2nd person in Canada has " that one weirdo random friend who's a Red Wings/Blackhawks/Bruins fan". The TV ratings certainly don't back it up.

:banghead:

AMONG HOCKEY FANS the original 6 teams have large fan bases outside their regional markets as do the Flyers Sabres and Pens.

That is my point.

Have a nice day.

Reactions: Messrules11

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
:banghead:

AMONG HOCKEY FANS the original 6 teams have large fan bases outside their regional markets as do the Flyers Sabres and Pens.

That is my point.

Have a nice day.

Again it's nice to say that, but TV ratings don't reflect that.

A hundred people who drive down to Florida to take advantage of $20 tickets or are from up East and live in Florida for the winter doesn't constitute a "large fan base".

Reactions: MixMasterMoose

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I would almost guarantee that they are shopping him for a Goalie. I think without a doubt they land one of Murray/Andersen, if they don’t just try for Markstrom.

I wouldn’t really want to take a chance unless it’s a low price. He hasn’t shown much in his time in the NHL, like you said can’t skate well.

Gagner at least had some very good seasons early in his career and could flash high end skill, particularly on the PP, something Jost hasn’t done to this point.

If it was a straight swap for like Pulju I would maybe consider it, even then though

He’s never even really been dominant outside of the BCHL. He had a good year in college but was probably pulled from there to soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad