Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Oh Gord, I Preferred The Silence | Seravalli: Mike Smith $2M 1YR Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
If those are the performance bonuses, I'll still be pissed, just less so. 2m for him is too much when better goalies go on waivers every year at TC.

He's also the biggest baby of a player I've ever seen play goalie. I don't even want him for free..

I hate his flopping, but one thing he can do is play the puck. Talbot and Koskinen handle that thing like a hand grenade when they come out to play it.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I think the majority of the fanbase just hates the individual and wouldn't be happy with him even at the league minimum.
Well, you know... sometimes you can't stand your teammates but you can still win with dicks. Much like our fellow Oilers fans. I don't hate you guys. We cheer for the same team for crying out loud. Some just cry out for a good backhanded slap at times.

Regardless if he's a dick or not, if he can stop the puck given the porous D in front of him, he'll already have done some good. I certainly care to an extent that the environment overall is a good one but you can still do well even with a few pricks around.

Reactions: M Ace

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m very excited to see what “structure” Tip trots out that “literally top 3 best defensive coach of all time” Hitchcock couldn’t think of.

This is so weak.
Do you really think that an interim coach who badgers players constantly was going to get full buy in and turn things around?

Do you think that is the approach that Tippett will employ?
Really?

Reactions: booyakasha

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm pretty excited about this deal.

Guy was amazing in the playoffs.

That’s what I was gonna mention. It wasn’t his fault Calgary lost. He actually played good.
He could make a good outlet pass to McJesus

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Well, you know... sometimes you can't stand your teammates but you can still win with dicks. Much like our fellow Oilers fans. I don't hate you guys. We cheer for the same team for crying out loud. Some just cry out for a good backhanded slap at times.

Regardless if he's a dick or not, if he can stop the puck given the porous D in front of him, he'll already have done some good. I certainly care to an extent that the environment overall is a good one but you can still do well even with a few pricks around.

Most of the board hated Kassian's guts for what he did to Gagner....a lot seem okay with him now.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Overages next year are not as much of an issue as it has been in the past. Certainly not ideal, but if he is earning bonuses that's probably not a bad thing. But man I am going to have a hard time getting behind him. All they need to do now is sign Perry and my fanhood will be completely tested.

If they sign Perry I'm definitely going to be scoreboard watching most of the year. Holland had started to win me over with his early personnel moves but he's quickly losing me now.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think the majority of the fanbase just hates the individual and wouldn't be happy with him even at the league minimum.
I don’t even care that smith is a total dickwad.

I care that he’s a 37 year old that was genuinely terrible last season on a legitimately good team.

Reactions: 3IR

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I hate his flopping, but one thing he can do is play the puck. Talbot and Koskinen handle that thing like a hand grenade when they come out to play it.

Perfect, he can pass it to Russell for the off the glass bank to the other team.

For real though, puck control is the last thing I'm worried about with what was supposed to be a backup goalie.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Valid point.
I actually do think that last season Smith (bad groin and all) was better than Talbot but the defence in front of Talbot was such a mess.

He didn't fair much better in Philly.

I'm just not sure if Talbot is going to bounce back ever.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I honestly don't even give a shit about flopping. The point of the game is to win. Not be "honorable". Cam Talbot was "honorable" and all the Oilers got out of it was a 2nd round loss instead of a victory. f*** that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We will see.
Once again the team structure in front of a goalie makes a huge difference so I am not going to write off the season on June 30th.
Smith was terrible last year on a team that has substantially better defense than us...our defense is now worse.

Koskinen and Smith are 2 of the worst goalies in the league.

Doesn't matter the system. If we don't secure 2 top 6 wingers and an entire 3rd line that's strong defensively. On paper this team is bottom 10 quite easily

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Smith was terrible last year on a team that has substantially better defense than us...our defense is now worse.

Koskinen and Smith are 2 of the worst goalies in the league.

Doesn't matter the system. If we don't secure 2 top 6 wingers and an entire 3rd line that's strong defensively. On paper this team is bottom 10 quite easily

He was bad early in the season when he was hurt.

Down the stretch, he was good, 1.9 GAA in his final 13 games + hands down the best player for the Flames in the playoffs.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Considering how the Oilers D tend to handle the puck I'm expecting Smith's puckhandling to result in more chances/goals against than anything.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Perfect, he can pass it to Russell for the off the glass bank to the other team.

For real though, puck control is the last thing I'm worried about with what was supposed to be a backup goalie.

Why would he pass it to Russell?....he can probably make a better breakout pass to McDavid than Russell can.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
2M in bonuses basically means we have to keep 2M free. Likely it's just some games played marker, and I could see him taking the #1 spot from Koskinen. And we really can't afford to be playing with cap penalties next year if we actually want to accomplish anything.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don’t even care that smith is a total dickwad.

I care that he’s a 37 year old that was genuinely terrible last season on a legitimately good team.

He was their best player in the playoffs. Basically only he and Bennett showed up.

Also it's a one year deal and we needed someone who was willing to sign knowing he might not be a starter.

That being said I need to see what else Holland does because the forward group needs a lot of work.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He didn't fair much better in Philly.

I'm just not sure if Talbot is going to bounce back ever.

Tough to counter this...we just dont know.

Based on what we do know its safe to say that Smith is a better bet than Talbot.
Smith did have legit injury issues last season...Talbot didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad