Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Oh Gord, I Preferred The Silence | Seravalli: Mike Smith $2M 1YR Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yikes @ that performance bonus. That's ugly.

The Oilers could exceed the cap due to the bonus cushion, and I hope Holland is going to do just that. Otherwise my opinion on Mike Smith is drastically different than it was 10 minutes ago.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
More horrible news to be posted and reacted to here.
I like your sense of humour

tenor.gif

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
@Seachd

And $2M in bonuses. $4M cap hit that you need to potentially plan for unless you want to risk overages next season.
Kinda depends on the bonuses. If it's a million for the vezina and a million for not snapping once during the year, you don't plan at all for those.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
@Seachd

And $2M in bonuses. $4M cap hit that you need to potentially plan for unless you want to risk overages next season.

Yeah, but if he hits those bonuses, those are good things. It means he has been doing his job to win us games. So it's not the end of the world. Plus this is speculation on the contract. It could be less than that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So the reports are the Smith has a base of less than $2M for 1 year and bonuses if he excels.
On the face of it I am absolutely fine with this deal (if true) for 2 reasons.

First if Koskinen steps up to the plate and becomes a legit starter then Smith wont be able to play the games necessary to fulfill the bonuses.
It also means that we will get a very motivated Smith for 1 year.

My only concern is with Koskinen and if he will be able to step up.

North

Jun 25, 2009
To explain the tweet:

It says UP TO. Not 4M. He is getting paid 2M. This is base stuff you see with every player over 35 years old. Calm yourselves.

2 million in base is not bad at all. The bonus is meh.

Clearly Mrazek is going to get quite a bit more.

Reactions: KYams17

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well which is it? Is he a terrible goalie, or is he hitting his performance bonuses (still unknown) at 37?

No he's a terrible goalie. But now on the off chance that you manage to strike gold you're screwed on the cap.

Let's put it this way.

Mike Smith at 700K is a bad idea.

Mike Smith at $2M base salary is even worse.

Mike Smith at $2M base salary and potential for $2M more that you now need to factor into your planning is further worse.

Reactions: Aerchon

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
f***ing 4 million we have to account for next season? Are you f***ing kidding me? 2m alone was too much for a goalie who was worse than talbot last year.

This is absolutely embarassing. Thank god we bought out sekera so we can have 8.5m in goalies, one of which might break .900 if we're lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad