Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Oh Gord, I Preferred The Silence | Seravalli: Mike Smith $2M 1YR Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Kinda depends on the bonuses. If it's a million for the vezina and a million for not snapping once during the year, you don't plan at all for those.
Fully expecting him to snap within the first two periods.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So the reports are the Smith has a base of less than $2M for 1 year and bonuses if he excels.
On the face of it I am absolutely fine with this deal (if true) for 2 reasons.

First if Koskinen steps up to the plate and becomes a legit starter then Smith wont be able to play the games necessary to fulfill the bonuses.
It also means that we will get a very motivated Smith for 1 year.

My only concern is with Koskinen and if he will be able to step up.
This Tandem guarentees we don't sniff playoffs.

Reactions: Titsuple and 3IR

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
No he's a terrible goalie. But now on the off chance that you manage to strike gold you're screwed on the cap.

And that's a bad thing how? Quite frankly, those bonuses will happen at the end of the season. So it's not that big of a deal. And next year, good chance Starrett is gonna backup.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So a 1 year 'show me' deal. If he earns the full bonuses he'll clearly have had a good year. I'm alright with this, but just judging by the responses thus far I'm in a small minority.
I think the majority of the fanbase just hates the individual and wouldn't be happy with him even at the league minimum.

Reactions: Aerrol

North

Jun 25, 2009
So the reports are the Smith has a base of less than $2M for 1 year and bonuses if he excels.
On the face of it I am absolutely fine with this deal (if true) for 2 reasons.

First if Koskinen steps up to the plate and becomes a legit starter then Smith wont be able to play the games necessary to fulfill the bonuses.
It also means that we will get a very motivated Smith for 1 year.

My only concern is with Koskinen and if he will be able to step up.

I'm hoping he will just because I think Smith might be able to fill in better than Talbot was able to.

You could see that Koskinen performed better when he was rested rather than being run into the ground.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
****ing 4 million we have to account for next season? Are you ****ing kidding me? 2m alone was too much for a goalie who was worse than talbot last year.

This is absolutely embarassing. Thank god go bought out sekera so we can have 8.5m in goalies, one of which might break .900 if we're lucky

If he's getting a 4m cap hit total after bonuses, it probably means the Oilers won the cup, or made the playoffs. He's not gonna get 2m in bonus for having 20 starts

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
1 year 2 million dollar deal

With 2 mill in bonuses. We'll see what he actually has to do to hit that structure, but potentially we're either spending 2 mill on a godawful goalie who should be paid 1mill or we're paying 4 mill for a half decent goalie that is now up staging our shiny new starter. I guess I prefer the latter but colour me mega skeptical.

Plus Mike Smith is a douche.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The bonus better be playoffs + even 1 playoff round won. If he has some crazy good season like that, fine, OK.

Reactions: Faelko

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Ignore them. Makes the thread more bearable.
I have no problem with the criticism, unlike others. Yeah, the negativity is bad but what can you expect with the sadsack performances for over 10 years! Smith has proven himself and prior to his sub .900 season last year, he was at .916. Onus is on him to prove it and I am betting he has enough professional pride to at least bounce back to above .900.

Reactions: oreos2334

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No one is defending it. But people blowing this out and saying 4M ROFLROFLROFLROFL are obviously trolling and can't bother to use reading. Or writing for that matter.

Hey you wanna make some bets yet? I didn't mind making a joke out of you last september

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We will see.
Once again the team structure in front of a goalie makes a huge difference so I am not going to write off the season on June 30th.

I’m very excited to see what “structure” Tip trots out that “literally top 3 best defensive coach of all time” Hitchcock couldn’t think of.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
@Seachd

And $2M in bonuses. $4M cap hit that you need to potentially plan for unless you want to risk overages next season.

Overages next year are not as much of an issue as it has been in the past. Certainly not ideal, but if he is earning bonuses that's probably not a bad thing. But man I am going to have a hard time getting behind him. All they need to do now is sign Perry and my fanhood will be completely tested.

Reactions: LaGu

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
If he's getting a 4m cap hit total, it probably means the Oilers won the cup, or made the playoffs.

If those are the performance bonuses, I'll still be pissed, just less so. 2m for him is too much when better goalies go on waivers every year at TC.

He's also the biggest baby of a player I've ever seen play goalie. I don't even want him for free..

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm hoping he will just because I think Smith might be able to fill in better than Talbot was able to.

You could see that Koskinen performed better when he was rested rather than being run into the ground.

Valid point.
I actually do think that last season Smith (bad groin and all) was better than Talbot but the defence in front of Talbot was such a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad