Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Lots of Balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
The problem is Nurse is a #3 dman, he can't anchor a pairing. Do you pay 7M and commit long term to that guy, when you have some really good prospects coming up? For a team like the leafs with no prospects coming up it might be worth it.

Yes.

A number 3 Dman is absolutely worth 6m+ right now on the market, and I guarantee it'll be 7 or more next year at the rate things are going. Look at the estimates people are throwing out for Myers this year. Nurse at 7 seems totally reasonable long term.

If a prospect overtakes him in the lineup, then you look at making a move then whether it be Nurse or the prospect. Nurse at 7m long term after another solid season next year will still be a valuable asset.

You don't trade one of your only healthy, consistent top 4 Dmen because you have good prospects in the AHL who haven't proven anything at the NHL level.

Dmen are in a weird spot right now in the NHL, where they're still getting paid very little compared to their forward counterparts, and I think Myers is going to be the start of the Dmen salaries blowing up.

Oct 15, 2008
The problem is Nurse is a #3 dman, he can't anchor a pairing. Do you pay 7M and commit long term to that guy, when you have some really good prospects coming up? For a team like the leafs with no prospects coming up it might be worth it.

Edit: I also think its worth mentioning that all of the clients of Nurses agent have been traded off the team. If we could land another one of Bobby Orr's clients in Travis Dermott I could see the team leaning that way. I could also see us grabbing Boyle because he's represented by the Orr group.
Why do you hate Nurse?

Reactions: McTedi and frag2

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Idk why anyones worried about Nurse asking for crazy money. The entire league is asking for crazy money, if Nurse has another good season, He's going to get 7+ and he'll be worth it.

You can't trade away any Dman who asks for 6m+ when the going rate is gonna be 7+.

Feels like it's lose lose with Nurse. Either he has a **** season and is cheap to re sign but people wanna trade him for being bad, or he plays well and people wanna get rid of him because he's gonna ask for the going rate for top Dmen.

giphy.gif

Jacob Trouba will be making 7.5mil approx. The gap between them is rather large

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How bout simply commit to the guys you've been developing. Nurse has his faults but he's contributing and he's at the threshold of his career where he'll have thr game figured out (ie years+games played). We know what we have in him and genderally he's a net positive to the line up. Trade Nurse now n its a Petry situation 2.0. We should get the benefits of developing a prospect properly for once. Not another organization

Well you dont give him away, but the guy by the stats was by far our worst defender defensively. Im also not comfortable putting any rookies as a partner on his pairing, which should tell you something. This 7M dollar talk is ridiculous, Trouba can anchor a pairing and make his d partner look better. Nurse makes his d partner look worse then they are due to poor reads and positioning. The inflation in the defensive market is the only reason Id look to give him 5.5-6M in the #3 spot because thats where I see him long term. If he's our #1 guy were not winning anything, and thats a guarantee.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I too would like to know. Its been half a decade and its the same shtick. Get rid of him at all costs

Yes, trading him for Connor, or Marner is getting rid of him at all costs...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And last year I thought 5.5M was to high for a 30 point dman who couldnt defend. I had him at 4.75-5.25M long term if he'd take it. I said Id want to move him for Nylander because I felt Nylander at 6.5M had more value to our team then Nurse at 5.5. You and a ton of posters dont seem to realize we have two guys with value who arent signed here long term right now, Nurse, and RNH.(Yes, Larsson isnt as well but we cant move him) Those are the only two guys on our roster who get you a top line winger under 27. I also really dislike the idea of giving a 29-32 year old player a big, long term deal in free agency.

The only reason why Nurse isn’t signed long term is because Chia was stupid and a terrible contract negotiator.

Looks like we dodged a bullet by not dealing him for Nylander though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hes a top pair dman. He plays top pair minutes and also played those minutes on his offside.

Hes a legit top pair guy and handles the minutes admirably

You're kind of proving his point haha.

Trouba plays almost two minutes less 5v5 per game than Larsson or Nurse and he hasn't played the left side for 2+ seasons.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The only reason why Nurse isn’t signed long term is because Chia was stupid and a terrible contract negotiator.

Looks like we dodged a bullet by not dealing him for Nylander though.

Id imagine Nylander has a huge bounce back season. Cant think of any contract holdouts who've done well.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think Benson and Marody will probably have to be in our lineup. I don’t see how Holland can fill all of these holes at forward with such little cap space. I think our starting lineup will look something like this:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Connolly
Khaira-Marody-Gagner
Nygard-Haas-Ennis
Lucic-Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Persson

Koskinen
Smith

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Maybe our first round pick next year, or maybe our 2nd + a prospect.

It's an ugly situation.

I think we need to sign Nyquist or at least Connolly.

But that then compounds the problem as your using up long term cap space. Right now we'll be out of cap hell in 2 seasons. Sign a big name UFA, and 2-3 years down the road their game declines when you want to sign your up and coming dmen like Bouchard and Samorukov. You end up having no cap space again.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Huge bounce back to what? He’s never really had a break out season.

Yes 2 20 goal 60+ point seasons as a 22 year old and he's never had a break out. If we had traded for him last summer he'd have been our 3rd best forward after Draisaitl, and Mcdavid. This year its debatable with RNH elevating his game and getting time with Mcdavid.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
You're kind of proving his point haha.

Trouba plays almost two minutes less 5v5 per game than Larsson or Nurse and he hasn't played the left side for 2+ seasons.

Nurse also spent all of last season trying to fill the hole of a number 1 Dman while dragging along Larsson who was having a career worst season, and Russell.

Trouba getting 7.5M is a solid deal for him, but even if that's the case, it doesn't mean Nurse won't be worth 7 or more if he has another solid season next year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think Benson and Marody will probably have to be in our lineup. I don’t see how Holland can fill all of these holes at forward with such little cap space. I think our starting lineup will look something like this:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Connolly
Khaira-Marody-Gagner
Nygard-Haas-Ennis
Lucic-Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Persson

Koskinen
Smith

I think he has to go to the bargain bin with guys like Leipsic and Cousins