Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Lots of Balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
With the Stauffer talk about possibly buying out Sekera I have a feeling that they are looking to move him out as they believe Caleb Jones can slot into that 3rd pairing LD spot.
Yeah I could see that happening I also wouldn't be surprised if they are pushing to trade one of Russell or Sekera for a similarly priced forward and then buyout the other.

We have been repeatedly hearing 1 or two rookies making the D core and I'm starting to think they see Bouchard ready for a bottom pairing PP heavy role and Jones ready for a 4-5 type role.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Muzzin is a left shot.

Adam Larsson is probably more likely to go IMO if there is a deal with Toronto.

Zaitsev is gone also.

Most of the big trades in todays NHL are RFA for RFA. I dont see Toronto moving a long term asset for Larsson. Also Muzzin is a left shot, that doesnt change the fact he plays primarily the right side. Same as Russell does here

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Most of the big trades in todays NHL are RFA for RFA. I dont see Toronto moving a long term asset for Larsson. Also Muzzin is a left shot, that doesnt change the fact he plays primarily the right side. Same as Russell does here

Kadri for Larsson makes sense for both teams IMO, I would target Mike Green afterwards as a 1 year stop gap.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The issue we had last year IMO is not enough NHL players on our roster. I don't care if a guy is a driver or not in our bottom 6 we need guys who can put up 20-30 points for cheap and fill a PK role.

Berglund has a long history of exactly that.

I don't think we can be to picky at this point we need the most cost effective solutions possible.

I would rather Berglund and Pirri for 1M each than Filpulla for 2M. This is just the nature of it when we in an ideal world need to change out like 2/3rds of our bottom 6 over the next two years.
Yah but I think we have that in Gags and we aren't likely trading him away anytime soon. Gagner is a fine bottom 6 six guy who can be on the 2nd PP and even PK occasionally. A cheap Berglund is fine but I think we still have better options without taking on even more baggage.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Kadri for Larsson makes sense for both teams IMO, I would target Mike Green afterwards as a 1 year stop gap.

Who then plays our right side? I dont mind Kadri , but look at our d

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Benning(HELP)
Sekera-Bouchard/Bear/Persson

I think this makes a lot more sense at least in my mind long term

Klefbom-Larsson(re-up next summer to a similar contract)
Jones/Samorukov-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard/Bear/Benning/Persson

Its a short term down grade on the backend until guys step up. We have no one even close to Larsson available on the RH side defensively.

Edit: To go one year further out Russell and Sekera both come off the books and your D is now:

Klefbom-Bouchard
Samorukov-Larsson
Jones-Benning/Persson

I also think this is why Holland wants rookies getting lots of experience this year. So we dont have a bunch of rookie D entering the league in 3 years time.

Last edited:
Reactions: McTedi

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I could see that happening I also wouldn't be surprised if they are pushing to trade one of Russell or Sekera for a similarly priced forward and then buyout the other.

We have been repeatedly hearing 1 or two rookies making the D core and I'm starting to think they see Bouchard ready for a bottom pairing PP heavy role and Jones ready for a 4-5 type role.
I really don't get buying out Sekera, one of the few defencemen we have that can make a pass out of the zone.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I really don't get buying out Sekera, one of the few defencemen we have that can make a pass out of the zone.
You won't find me disagreeing my comment is more on how the team and media has been posturing.

I find it worrisome that they are talking about buying out a 4-5 M dman and bringing 1-2 rookies onto the team.

Based on the comments I just find it highly likely they see two guys as ready for an intermediate role and another in a limited role.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who then plays our right side? I dont mind Kadri , but look at our d

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Benning(HELP)
Sekera-Bouchard/Bear/Persson

I think this makes a lot more sense at least in my mind long term

Klefbom-Larsson(re-up next summer to a similar contract)
Jones/Samorukov-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard/Bear/Benning/Persson

Its a short term down grade on the backend until guys step up. We have no one even close to Larsson available on the RH side defensively.

Edit: To go one year further out Russell and Sekera both come off the books and your D is now:

Klefbom-Bouchard
Samorukov-Larsson
Jones-Benning/Persson

I also think this is why Holland wants rookies getting lots of experience this year. So we dont have a bunch of rookie D entering the league in 3 years time.

Get Green from Detroit.

Klef Green
Nurse Sekera
Jones Benning

Is not a big difference from what was there before.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Yah but I think we have that in Gags and we aren't likely trading him away anytime soon. Gagner is a fine bottom 6 six guy who can be on the 2nd PP and even PK occasionally. A cheap Berglund is fine but I think we still have better options without taking on even more baggage.
Gagner has said he is more comfortable on the wing and he is terrible on the draw along with not being great on the PK. He does however fill that 20-30 point range which is helpful as the 3rd or 4th line Rw.

We effectively need a 3c at minimum for this coming season and by next year hopefully Benson and Marody are ready to make the jump.

Reactions: McTedi and Aerchon

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Get Green from Detroit.

Klef Green
Nurse Sekera
Jones Benning

Is not a big difference from what was there before.

Well Green has a NTC and I see no reason for Detroit to move him. Now you have to make two trades instead of 1.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Again how many hold outs do look good? In his first 20 games last year he had 3 points, he then had 24 in 34 games(close to 60 point pace). Safe to say he wasnt ready to play against guys in mid season form. And why is a faster Eberle a bad thing? Thats the perfect type of winger for Draisaitl.

RNH-Mcdavid-Kassian
?-Draisaitl-Nylander

The whole point is to get two solid scoring pairs in the top 6, signed long term. For the most part Im the only one on here proposing a solution to fixing the top 6. The rest of you are just complaining about who we gave up to do it.

So we’re keeping Russell simply for the fact he likes to be here, trading Nurse who also loves it here and wanted to sign long term for a guy who’s Dad/Mom embarrassed Edmonton and was a hold out last year and then was a large disappointment...

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Then you have to ask yourself where you see Nurse on this roster, and if he's worth that cap hit in that spot.
I don't understand why you think we have to make that decision now before any of the kids have proven themselves to be capable of playing in the NHL as regulars..

It's not like Nurse holds more value now than he will in a year or two. He's an RFA after this coming season, and assuming we don't pay him way more than market value, he'll be just as valuable when he re signs, albeit a little older and more established.

You act like he's a UFA next season and we need to trade him now to get value.

Just because we have upcoming prospects, it doesn't mean Nurse isn't going to be in our top 4 for years to come. Anything can happen, and trading him now is a surefire way to rush our prospects into roles they aren't ready for.

If it comes down to having a 20-25 goal 50-60 point winger who's going to command 7m within a year or two at this rate, vs Nurse, a number 3 Dman at the same price, give me Nurse every time, and make a move when someone pushes his way above him in the lineup.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well Green has a NTC and I see no reason for Detroit to move him. Now you have to make two trades instead of 1.

Then that's what you do. They are rebuilding and really don't need him.

Nurse likely stands to have more trade value in a year than keeping Larsson who is a vanilla D.

If he has a good season, fine. You can pay him or get a nice return on the open market.

Larsson is not as valuable.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Then you have to ask yourself where you see Nurse on this roster, and if he's worth that cap hit in that spot.
he’s worth it over Kris Fricking Russell. Your hard on for Russell and your hate for Nurse is disturbing

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Im not advocating Nylander this year, Im advocating Marner as I think he's the odd man out. But in saying that Nyquist most likely gets 6+ for 6 years. No way I take a 29 year old winger at that cap hit for that long, over a 22 year old winger for 7M over 8 years.(Which is what I would have tried to sign him to)

Marner for $7M. :laugh:

Also he only wants a 4-5 year deal to get to UFA ASAP.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Gagner has said he is more comfortable on the wing and he is terrible on the draw along with not being great on the PK. He does however fill that 20-30 point range which is helpful as the 3rd or 4th line Rw.

We effectively need a 3c at minimum for this coming season and by next year hopefully Benson and Marody are ready to make the jump.

This is how I think Holland has the lineup board:

RNH-Mcdavid-Kassian
Benson?/trade(Connor)-Draisaitl-Connolly/trade(Marner/Nylander)
Nygard-Filppula?-Gagner
Leipsic?/Khaira-Khaira/Marody-Cave
Brodziak, Lucic(Traded after July 1st)

Klefbom-Larsson
Jones-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard/Benning/Persson

Koskinen
Trade

Theres to much smoke around our d core for something not to change there.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Then that's what you do. They are rebuilding and really don't need him.

Nurse likely stands to have more trade value in a year than keeping Larsson who is a vanilla D.

If he has a good season, fine. You can pay him or get a nice return on the open market.

Larsson is not as valuable.

Id argue Larsson is more valuable to the Oilers, then he is to other teams. And as I said we should be building for 3-5 years out. Kadri is a short term fix. We need to get the players in place we want to build around long term. If Nurse is that guy he should be re-signed this summer.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Kris Russell should be dumped this summer. I don't give a crap that he likes it here.

Yup. This team has too many bad contracts (Russell, Sekera, Gagner, Koskinen, Lucic, Manning) that are sucking up cap space and preventing Holland from bringing in good players for reasonable draft picks like we have seen that past couple of trades. If you can move any of those players for free without taking any salary return, you take it...if you actually can get an asset back, bonus.

Reactions: McTedi

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
he’s worth it over Kris Fricking Russell. Your hard on for Russell and your hate for Nurse is disturbing

What dont you get that Russell in two years is gone or re-signed for next to nothing, while in two years Nurse could be making 6M+? Moving Russell is a short term fix, signing Nurse is a long term problem if we want to have some cap flexibility.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Can you read 7M for Nylander which is what he got. Marner will be 10.5M and Id pay him that no problem.
tbf, I also read that as you were suggesting 7M over 8 years for Marner.

Anyways, I don't think either Nylander or Marner are the answer here. We have three elite forwards, the supplementary guys don't need to be in that echelon, they just need to be good top-6 players. More of a 50 point winger than a 70-90 point winger. We can't afford "1st line wingers"

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad