Choose Your Protection Format

• 7 Forwards - 3 Defensemen - 1 Goaler

• 8 Skaters - 1 Goaler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Won 2 cups? Can’t be worse than what we have.

If think there are many other ways to evaluate players aside from Cup wins and many more important ones.

Murray isn't necessarily trash but he's got some serious question marks and you have to consider his contract situation on top of his acquisition cost.

He's another one in the AA situation of not really being worth his QO.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If think there are many other ways to evaluate players aside from Cup wins and many more important ones.

Murray isn't necessarily trash but he's got some serious question marks and you have to consider his contract situation on top of his acquisition cost.

He's another one in the AA situation of not really being worth his QO.

True but you don’t win cups without decent goaltending. Maybe our goalie guru can work miracles with his frying pan. :sarcasm:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Key word(s).

I could see Jones being more valuable than both AA and Pulju by mid next season. And who knows if we even qualify AA.
I like the potential of the recent 30-goal guy and the former 4oa of turning into some level of a positive asset either through personal performance or trade return over the guy we're pencilling into our bottom pair. I've got nothing against Jones, but I still see a very large learning curve ahead of him.

I highly doubt it gets to a point where Athanasiou walks for nothing.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I like the potential of the recent 30-goal guy and the former 4oa of turning into some level of a positive asset either through personal performance or trade return over the guy we're pencilling into our bottom pair. I've got nothing against Jones, but I still see a very large learning curve ahead of him.

I highly doubt it gets to a point where Athanasiou walks for nothing.
I don't think he walks for nothing either, but I do think we only keep one of him or Puljujarvi.

I do see top 4 potential in Jones, which I would covet more than a middling winger with low IQ (which is where I see both AA and Pulju right now).

Of course, this is all hypothetical. It'll be interesting to see what moves Holland makes this offseason and how the roster begins shaping up in advance of the expansion draft.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I pondered many possible trade scenarios for the last expansion draft thinking all teams would endeavor to make trades to minimize the quality of players they expose and thinking the process would artificially elevate the value of players who can contribute and were expansion draft exempt, but it never really materialized. Teams just consigned themselves to either losing a good player or paid a bribe to not lose a certain player or to get Vegas to take a certain player.

This time I'm just not going to worry about it very much. Also at the moment I only see 7 guys worth protecting- Jones & Pulju aren't at a level where I'm going to lose any sleep about losing either at the moment, a NHL season might change that, but neither has shown they can be strong regular NHL contributors.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Maybe that’s where JP comes in. Move him for picks.

I'd rather keep JP and see what he can do assuming he's willing to come back.

I think if there was a deal worth moving him in it would've been done by now so why not bring him back and see what he can do.

I'd prefer to move out Chiasson and bring JP back.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The more I watch these playoffs, the more I'd be willing to pay a big price for a #1 dman with at least 5 elite years left.

I'd be willing to pay Nurse or Klef, + our first + prospect (if we could include Neal too).

Would Doughty still have that much time left? Not only carry us now, but teach Bear, Jones, Bouchard and Broberg.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm pretty sure Deryk Engellend was a pending UFA when Vegas took him and he counted as the Flames pick.
Such a stupid move that saved the Flames.

CGY literally just traded a 2nd that trade deadline for a busting Lazar a move that forced them to either protect Lazar(which they did) or risk looking dumb.

Then they go and pick a guy that CGY probably wasn't going to bring back anyway even if they did it was going to be for cheap as a bottom pairing guy. All because Engelland lived in Vegas and once played for the ECHL club there

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The more I watch these playoffs, the more I'd be willing to pay a big price for a #1 dman with at least 5 elite years left.

I'd be willing to pay Nurse or Klef, + our first + prospect (if we could include Neal too).

Would Doughty still have that much time left? Not only carry us now, but teach Bear, Jones, Bouchard and Broberg.
I do like that idea too, especially if we're dealing from a position of strength, ie our defense assets.

However, I don't see that trade out there really. LA, after winning the draft lottery for #2, is going to accelerate their rebuild.

OEL will be available now I think, if not him demanding a trade out if they get brushed aside by Colorado.

But I think we have to look to the eastern conference. A team won't trade an elite within division.

So perhaps Slavin or Hamilton in Carolina? Dare I suggest PK Subban?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I do like that idea too, especially if we're dealing from a position of strength, ie our defense assets.

However, I don't see that trade out there really. LA, after winning the draft lottery for #2, is going to accelerate their rebuild.

OEL will be available now I think, if not him demanding a trade out if they get brushed aside by Colorado.

But I think we have to look to the eastern conference. A team won't trade an elite within division.

So perhaps Slavin or Hamilton in Carolina? Dare I suggest PK Subban?
Slavin and Hamilton are cemented in Carolina, Hamilton probably would have at least been a Norris nominee if it wasn’t for his injury, you can blame hiring Chia on us not being able to trade with Sweeney when he was hired here for him not being an Oiler. OEL will be like Doan in Arizona, never play meaningful hockey in his entire Career but enjoys the laid back life of Arizona, apparently he has a sick pad there and he’s a huge part of that team.

As for Doughty and Subban, it would be counter productive to trade for past their prime players who will kill the cap in like 2 years, Subban can literally be had for free with how bad he’s been the past 2 years and his contract, Doughty has maybe a few good years left, but LA is going to turn it around quick if Kopitar and Doughty stay, and probably leap over us. Their prospect pool is insane and they will have Byfield learning the ropes from Kopitar this year.

If we are going to have a #1D in the next five years it’s going to be one of Bouchard or Broberg, and both are long shots to be true #1 IMO.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Slavin and Hamilton are cemented in Carolina, Hamilton probably would have at least been a Norris nominee if it wasn’t for his injury, you can blame hiring Chia on us not being able to trade with Sweeney when he was hired here for him not being an Oiler. OEL will be like Doan in Arizona, never play meaningful hockey in his entire Career but enjoys the laid back life of Arizona, apparently he has a sick pad there and he’s a huge part of that team.

As for Doughty and Subban, it would be counter productive to trade for past their prime players who will kill the cap in like 2 years, Subban can literally be had for free with how bad he’s been the past 2 years and his contract, Doughty has maybe a few good years left, but LA is going to turn it around quick if Kopitar and Doughty stay, and probably leap over us. Their prospect pool is insane and they will have Byfield learning the ropes from Kopitar this year.

If we are going to have a #1D in the next five years it’s going to be one of Bouchard or Broberg, and both are long shots to be true #1 IMO.

Just gotta wait for Seth to be UFA and throw 12 million/year at him and then we can have a top pair of the jones brothers, ez win gg.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I think Subban is fading quick but Doughty could still have several prime years left. He strikes me as someone like Gio who can play into his mid-late 30s. His game is far more well rounded than Subbans.

It really is sad to think that we would have been better off had we kept MacT instead of Chia. I think he was already discussing Hamilton with the Bruins.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Hamilton is a UFA after next season.

Someone is going to back up a truck full of money for him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would take a chance in Subban@50% retension.

He is what we.can use on the PP.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Seth Jones would be unreal on our back end. I wonder how close we were to acquiring him back when he was still with the Preds or was an offer even put out by us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad